Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Pepper

Posted by scott8833 AZ (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 13:24

I have a mystery pepper plant growing in my garden. It doesn't match any of the others that I planted, and clearly isn't what it was labelled as. It's doing quite well however, and I'm wondering what it could be. Its characteristics:

-The plant is around 2 1/2 feet tall and nearly as wide. It's early in my growing season, but this one has grown quite quickly and is one of my largest plants.
-Pods are erect and elongated. They start out green but turn purple within a few days. The largest are around 1" long, but they may get slightly larger. I haven't tried any, so I don't know the heat yet.
-Leaves are green (no purple tinge). Blossoms are white with purple edges and a purple style. The leaf shape is similar to a serrano, but with no hair.

Any ideas? Here's what I've considered:

-It looks most like a tabasco plant to me, but I haven't been able to find any instances of purple tabasco varieties online.
-I did find purple chile de arbol plants, but aside from pod shape these do not look much like my plant.
-I've grown purple ornamentals before, but nothing so large. Also, the ornamentals have had all-purple blossoms and purple-tinged leaves.

It's one of my most prolific producers so far, so if they taste good too, I might want to grow more next year.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Pepper

Posting a couple of pics would be most helpful.

Greg
Southern Nevada

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here