Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ready to transplant garden style?

Posted by salevene none (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 13:25

Hi All,

We planted the seed to this pepper like maybe 2 months ago or more... finally its starting to grow, but at this rate, I'll have peppers in 2015.

1. Is it ready to be transplanted garden style?

2. Is it normal for plants this small to start growing leaves/branches out of the main stem (see pic)?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ready to transplant garden style?

Basically everything I've read/heard/witnessed points to the hotter the pepper the slower the grow. I like keeping mine in containers and I'm rather a newbie so I'll let the more knowledgable let you know when it's a good time to transplant out to the garden.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 14:48

A little more info would be good. Such as, where are you located? From the looks of your picture, if you are in the USA, you are down south. Assuming that is the case, you might be able to plant that guy out now, but it is pretty small to be putting outside if you think you will be getting temps at night down in the 40's or lower. That little fella right now needs lots of light and warmth to thrive. So, unless you are way down south, I would keep inside (house or greenhouse) until conditions are more favorable.

But the plant looks fine. Many peppers like to throw out growth from the main stem. Many times it is a sign of a growth spurt which you already indicated. Once the climate outside is favorable, that guy will really take off and you will have peppers in no time.
Bruce

o

Thanks all for the advice!

I'm actually located in Medellín, Colombia (South America). The temperature is an average of 70-80 all year-round during the day, but at night it can drop into the low 50s.

I planted another pepper a month back and its been doing great! Its not as hot as this one, but once I transplanted it garden style, it really took off.... it gets about 5-6 hours/day and this one I would put in a better spot that gets 6-7 hours/day.

With that information, do you think I could re-plant this one garden-style?

o

In your climate, I can even direct sow seeds in the garden. But your seedling, IMO, is more than ready to go in the garden. In fact it will appreciate it. :)

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 21:21

o

Man… to have that weather, "year long." I would have plants lined up for days.

As w/ Seysonn, it looks good to go. Just keep it hydrated w/ all that sun you get. :)

o

Haha, I know... I am a little late to the game, but really excited about this one (have some other peppers that are starting to fruit, but I don't think they will be that hot).

Thanks all for the advice! Its going in the ground tomorrow night and I will send some updated pics in a few weeks.

o

do yourself a favor and read up on "hardening off" before you just go put them in the ground.

o

Judo - The bigger one we hardened off for a week, but the smaller one for a much shorter time... just left it outside a few days before transplanting it. We did plant them at night though.

Here are the transplanted pods... the small one is either a datil, chocolate hab or pumpkin hab (I ended up using another pod I had, not the one in the original pic, but same size) and the other is a peruvian yellow pepper.

The Peruvian Yellow pepper I think will take off, but I'm a bit nervous about the smaller one.... too early to use a little fertilizer?

photo lafoto2.jpg

photo lafoto1.jpg

photo lafoto3.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here