Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with soft jalapenos?

Posted by desirae1983 Southern California (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 9, 11 at 13:48

I have a few hundred traveler jalapenos still on the plant that have gone bright red and squishy. Is there any use for them? Or do I have to toss them? They're very juicy and soft but not rotten.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with soft jalapenos?

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 9, 11 at 14:12

I would think you could process them almost any way you like. You could still dry them for sure. They will just be a bit softer and mushy when you finally do eat them but if they are not rotten, they should be fine....I would think. I had some Hot Hungarian Wax peppers get soft before I picked them but after slicing and canning them, I cannot tell any difference between them and the firmer ones.

o

I wouldn't can anything that was "squishy". I did have some bell peppers that were getting a little wrinkled and soft, as well as some chiles that were just a teeny bit wrinkled, not smooth and crisp enough to pickle. I made jelly from them, didn't use the peppers themselves, just the juice, and didn't use the most wrinkled/soft parts of the bells, just the unwrinkled parts (though I figured slight wrinkling of the jals was OK for the ones I pureed - used firm ones for mincing to add to the pot later).

I plan on freezing the jals and serranos (as well as larger Ancho types) that are getting wrinkly. FWIW, pulling the plants and hanging them in the basement didn't really help them ripen - or at least, they didn't stay crisp while ripening.

The cayennes and thin-skinned/small peppers (like Thai) are going to be dehydrated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shriveled pepper thread

o

I'd dry them for powder.
Then use them for additions to other stuff-Chile,Rubs,sauces etc.

o

You could also smoke them and have chipole.
John A

o

yep, smoke them and/or dry them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here