Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

Bonchis

Edymnion
11 years ago

Okay, the old thread for my skull bonchis was getting pretty long and unwieldy, so I'll just start a new one.

{{gwi:12831}}

Its been trimmed back a couple times now, and is spending its day on a shelf in front of a south facing window with lots of high powered daylight CFLs on timers over it. I'd say its finally starting to really take on the kind of shape that I wanted.

I might even let these flowers open up and pollinate, see how it looks with fruit hanging from the branches.

Comments (9)

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Looks to me like you already gots two fruit hanging from the branches. Little ones, UL. (or are those buds?)

---

That fatalii.net site has some pepper bonchis. Nothing as dark as your twisted brain has conceived, but still...

Did you manage to do anything with that wall casting?

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those are just buds. I've been picking them off this one up until now because I wanted it to put more energy into getting leafed out fully. Now that it more or less has, I can let it take a swing at some pods.

Haven't done anything with the egyptian stuff yet other than get a semi-matching vase to go with it.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yes, that looks like an exceedingly healthy plant for one grown indoors. Even outdoors. It turned into a great and successful project for you and you should be proud. Most any grower would be happy with the results.

Any new adjustments planned or is it now in its "final" configuration with just trimmings and such planned?

Keep up the occasional updates. I am sure others enjoy them as much as I do.
    Bruce

• tsheets
    11 years ago

That thing looks very happy! Well done, Edymnion!

Are you going to continue to remove the larger leaves and try to keep everything miniaturized?

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For now I'm just going to see about shaping the canopy however it wants to grow itself. Trick now is mainly just pruning off the biggest leaves and cutting off the growing tips of the branches to force them to bush out. Going to have to let the branches grow longer than they are now before I do that again though. Its still a pepper, can't bunch the leaves up TOO tightly.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Great job!
    The roots over the "rocks" turned out perfectly.

Josh

• itzybitzy_gw
    11 years ago

Wow! that is perfection:)

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

Very nice and artistic work, it looks you completely control this plant. What kinds of chili is it?

• Edymnion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

7-Pot Douglah. Nice medium sized maroon pods.

Its been trimmed since that last photo and is currently bushing out again.

Status update on some of my other ones:

Frankenpepper:

This one isn't really living up to my expectations, but it was a pretty wild idea to start with. I'll give it another year or two and see if there's any hope.

Main Bhut:

This one is the first bhut jolokia I ever grew. Will be it's third season next year. Sorry for the whited out photo, but you couldn't see the trunk otherwise.

Second Halloween:

This is one of the second generation Halloween peppers I grew this year. This one I didn't try to shape at all and just let it grow however it wanted all season long. The results ended up rather nice.

Skull Mountain:

Bushing back out after it's trimming a week or two ago. Complete with photo bombing cat for erm, size reference?

Sponsored