Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

doing my first flea market, advice?

judo_and_peppers
9 years ago

I rented a booth for this sunday at a local flea market (Big Top Flea Market in tampa) to try to sell some hot sauce.

this is gonna be my first time doing anything like this. as usual I'd like to believe I've got it all figured out. but I'm often wrong. so I'm asking now for any advice I can get, either from people who have experience selling stuff at flea markets or similar events, or people who frequently visit such events, and can tell me what makes them more or less likely to buy stuff.

I'm gonna be going with crackers for people to try the sauce on, as well as toothpicks for trying the hotter ones. is there something better for people to use to to sample the sauces?

any other good ideas?

Comments (41)

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

Maybe bring a cooler full of Popsicles and a gallon of milk for people trying your "Instant Death" sauce...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I was at a HUGE craft fair this fall and I was surprised to see as many Hot Sauce booths as I did. Seems peppers and hot sauces and other products are really becoming popular. Yah, maybe a gallon of milk for those that "bite off more than they can chew". Sell the milk for $5 a glass.

Bruce

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

Display! Before you can get people to your spot (other than haphazardly by chance) you have to show yourself off. Have any potted plants in full show? You can wrap the pots in cloth and bow if they're dirty. Balloons. A macaw. Anything. Google "farmer's market displays".

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

Have a box of tissues handy. Clearing sinuses need a depository.

i am sending my best wishes for a very successful day!
    lori

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Been to many sauce "tastings," and I would suggest getting a lot of itty bitty clear plastic thimbles suitable for one teaspoon of sauce, and some pretzels for sampling. The pretzels won't allow too much salsa to be eaten at one time, but will allow a taste. Dole it out yourself so some dumbazz doesn't try to drink a full thimble for his GF. Thimble, pretzel in, teaspoon of their choice of sauce, hand it over.
    Sell some t-shirts too.
    You'll do great.
    Oh...on second thought, ice cold bottled water for $3.00. Tell'em that the milk thing is a rumor... ;-)

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so my wife agrees about the milk, but doesn't think I should charge for it.

I considered pretzels, but they're too salty IMO. I've seen people using sliced cucumbers. not sure how I feel about that, but it would work with the mild one.

gonna be ordering shirts soon, I still haven't gotten the design hammered out yet.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

I'm gonna be going with crackers for people to try the sauce on, as well as toothpicks for trying the hotter ones. is there something better for people to use to to sample the sauces?

The only thing I'd like to add here is "mini" crackers or "mini" Tortilla rounds.

And as many have already posted anything FLASHY always better than bland to make you stand out in a crowd.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Cucumbers have a surprisingly strong taste. Test them before you use for samples.

Tortilla chips are what I associate with hot sauce. They're cheap too. Bring more than you think you need.

Cheese will be as effective as milk, and might get some attention on its own. But both can be expensive to supply.

I like the comments on display. In that spirit, any way you could talk the wife into a bikini? Or at least some major cleavage?

{{!gwi}}

Dennis

Got video of sauce-making?

This post was edited by DMForcier on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 20:53

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Whoa! Not much time to prepare! I can't speak for how to give samples (pretzels, crackers, toothpicks) since I don't eat hot sauce. But first - do you have any permits in place to give samples? For example, here it costs $100 a season, and you have to have a handwashing station consisting of an insulated container with hot water and a spigot that doesn't have to be held open with a bucket underneath it, plus soap, paper towels and a wastebasket lined with a plastic bag. Samples must be individually packaged in disposable containers so that customers aren't reaching into an open bowl or plate with multiple samples - that can be done in your commercial kitchen. If dispensing at market the method must prevent contamination of other samples by the vendor or customers. Samples must not sit out in open containers where they are subject to contamination by insects, dust, etc. Of course if fresh fruit or other things that can spoil or pick up bacteria are offered they must be kept at proper temperatures and thrown away after 2 hours (1 hour if over 90 degrees) in the open.

Do you have a table (a red tablecloth would be nice)? EZ Up? Banner? Business cards? Any T shirts? Wear one and hang the others in place of a banner. Potted pepper plants that are fruiting are a good idea, balloons maybe, but skip the macaw ;-)

Have DW or a friend there to pack up bottles (bring boxes and paper, bubble wrap, etc. for multiple bottle sales and paper bags, preferably with handles and your logo on a sticker or stamp on them, or slip a business card in) and handle money so you don't have to keep washing your hands in between handling money and giving samples.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Put DW in a T shirt too (tied is OK) but please, skip the cleavage. You want the focus to be on your product, not on your wife.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I don't see how one can serve sampling of super HOT !! sauce on cracker or whatever ?!? That sounds more like salsa and relish and other sauce that are served with snacks. Then as AJSM ponited out there are health regulations issues serving samples like sauces. I have seen people displaying/selling this sort of things (in festivals) but none served sampling. So maybe it has to do with local/state regulations.

I would make a nice one page folded brochure with pics and description: Indicating RELATIVE HEAT in comparison to what people know : like Jalapeno pepper. So, say, this sauce is X times hotter than a Jalapeno.

Leave the people curious, trying to find out : BUY, TAKE IT HOME and TRY. It depends what you are trying to accomplish : Promotion OR Sale.

OK. Just My Opinion.

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Some States require a "Food Handler Certification"
    Here in Texas it is a pretty big ordeal when your caught without
    proper documentation.
    Other permits are required but vary on the venue

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Actually, sampling is a really good way to get people to buy your product, if you have all the permits in place and have enough product to sell after giving samples ;-)

But if you don't have required "temporary food service" permit (or whatever FL calls it when you're not serving in your permanent fixed location, if you're a restaurant) then all you can do is hand out brochures (I don't think you can get them overnight tonight, even from Vistaprint) tomorrow.

One thing that might be neat for the next flea market, and could possibly negate the requirement for the food service permit, is something I saw on Cooking forum. Check into getting your own label(s) made up for these little keychain bottles, I think you could give these away without the permit since you are not "serving" the hot sauce on site.

http://www.yupthatexists.com/mini-sriracha-keychains/

I'll look around and see if I can find a site that offers the empty bottles. Maybe your current supplier carries something similar (though I like these better than the tiny bottles that have the keychain on the neck, but even 1/2 oz bottles with no keyring would do).

This post was edited by ajsmama on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 9:24

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Actually, Sriracha isn't selling those - it's a separate company that made a label that looks similar to the rooster, and they DO sell empty bottles!

I'm sure they would sell you some without labels if you buy in bulk, you can get whoever prints your bottle labels to do a small one for these (you'd still have to put ingredients, etc. required info on them).

I'm sure there are wholesalers who can supply something similar (like for all the hand sanitizer companies) but you need food-grade. These should be

Here is a link that might be useful: Keychain bottles

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I don't know how much of a deal they'd give you on a bulk order, SKS has the little "nip" bottles (1.7 oz) for much less, 36 cents each with caps or you can buy bottles and caps separately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nip bottles

• TNKS
    9 years ago

That whole pimp the wife thing is wrong on many levels
    If you need married tits to sell your product it isnt worth buying
    To even think of disrespecting my bride in such a fashion is beyond my comprehensions. This nation is currently driven
    by lack of respect and using others to attempt forward social/financial positioning.

FACT!!
    Less is better,being personable is better
    Get your asset out from behind a table and greet people
    sell "YOUR" product
    Your product,like your self will sell on its on merits
    I do it every weekend in my off season and have for decades.
    Do you think KFC or Walmart required cleavage and thongs to sell their business ?

Point made.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Jason, best wishes to you and your spouse at the Flea Market in Tampa tomorrow.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

my wife is going with me to at the minimum help set up. I'm pretty sure she'll be wearing a t shirt. she's never been one to show off her assets... they're all for me.

thank you all for the suggestions and support. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Good luck!

I suggest you bring a bunch of Limes so that you can offer wedges to cut the heat. I wouldn't even bother with milk. Chips, definitely chips.

When we sample salsas at our Farm stand during the Summer, we use chips.

Josh

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just got home not too long ago, and holy crap I'm exhausted. it was a lot of fun, and in terms of sales I did far better than I expected I would on my first day. I'm thrilled.

I don't even have my official banner yet (I had a crappy black and white one printed for $10), didn't have my official shirts ordered yet, and didn't have a card reader. so I still have a lot of work to do before I'm ready for bigger festivals, but I will definitely be back next weekend. and I need to make more sauce.

I'm beginning to be optimistic again.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Great news. So glad to hear that it is going well for you. The banners look good to me. And keep in mind that it is the product that people want, all the other crap will just cut into your bottom line. If you can sell a few T-Shirts and make a few bucks on them, great. Even breaking even on cost is fine with the free advertising they will provide. Do you have a flyer or business cards. They will allow customers to become repeat buyers. Better yet, make sure your contact info is on the labels of the hot sauce.
    Bruce

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

The address is required to be on the labels of hot sauce, but business cards are good for those on the fence who didn't buy, or for those people who threw out the bottles when they finished the sauce and then can't remember the name.

I thought you had a sample T shirt or 2 made up with the big logo? Banner looks good, color would be better. I'll email you a link to Vistaprint where I'm ordering my banner and business cards (I got a Groupon, check and see if that's still available).

So what did you use as a vehicle for sampling? Just toothpicks? I don't see chips or crackers (I can't tell what's on small plate? in front)?

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Have you been on Shark Tank yet?

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Nice set up. When I see a booth super-tricked out, I immediately figger that that $$ coulda been spent on product, instead of the frippery.
    I still remember the Edsel...

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

any commentary on changes I should make to the banner before I get the final one?

I'm also thinking about doing a 3x4 banner of my logo to hang up behind me.

I had the samples poured out in lil cups, and I had toothpicks, and crackers. the idea was people could try it on whatever they preferred. lots of people just did it as a shot, which was kinda surprising.

in the past day I've gotten 20 new "likes" on the facebook page, so apparently people have been taking the business cards home and looking up my page.

but today I feel like I'm catching a cold. I guess that's the cost of going out and interacting with a bunch of people.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Anybody go into a fit after doing a "shot"? I had a young man go into a hiccup fit after trying a Hinkelhatz pepper a few years ago (I know that's not hot to you guys). Next time maybe just dip the toothpicks in the hotter sauces and put the toothpicks in the cups.

Good, so you did have business cards! I'd keep the cheap B&W banner for the table, and do one the same size (6-8ft) to hang behind you. Is this an indoor flea market? Are you going to be doing outdoor ones? Then get an EZ Up, and make the banner of heavier-weight outdoor vinyl with metal grommets to hang it. Oh, and color of course. Put your phone number, website and the Facebook logo on it.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Congratulations on your first show, and successful to boot. I'm really happy for you.

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

You look like a nice approachable guy and that will be your biggest asset- if you look like you're having fun and enjoy your product other people will want to see what it's about, too.

Another banner at the top of the booth would be a good idea, too- so people can see it from a distance. A card reader is a MUST- be it Square or Paypal Here or whatever- you can pick one up for $10 at Staples if you don't have time for them to send you one (and I believe they will credit you for what you paid.) Test it at home first to make sure you get the hang of it (charge a buck to the wife's card.)

If you're doing shows before Christmas you could use displays like a stack of wrapped "presents" at the sides of the table for color and height (put a brick or a couple of books in each box for weight and stability,) and stockings with the bottles sticking out the top to show what good stocking stuffers and last minute gifts they are (people are always wondering what to get for people in their offices, neighbors, work gift exchanges, etc. Make it easy for them!) Maybe even hit your local dollar store for cheap little stockings that the bottles just fit in (wrap in contrasting cheap dollar store tissue paper,) and small gift boxes that 3 bottles fit in (at a slightly discounted price like the boxed set for $25 instead of $10 each as an example.) Colored shred looks good under and around the bottles in gift boxes.

Have access to a fake Chrismas tree? Put it in your booth (even a table top one,) decorated with chili pepper Christmas lights and bottles of sauce hanging from branches for a good attention getter that gives an immediate idea of what you sell.

Wishing you continued success!

This post was edited by VedaBeeps on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 11:58

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

I am very impressed with all of these great ideas being given.
    Someday I want to try doing a farmer's market with my hot pepper breads and this conversation will stick in my mind as a place to reference when I can find a venue!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Jason, good luck this weekend. Are the Facebook likes keeping up?

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd time at the market today, not as good of sales as last weekend, but I more than made back my the weekend in the first 2 hours and made a worthwhile profit (nobody wants to try hot sauce in the morning it seems), and I'm going back tomorrow. I keep getting told sunday is the better day anyway. fingers crossed tomorrow will be good.

I'm getting much better at talking to people, which was really my biggest issue before I started doing this, I am not really the outgoing type.

the wave of facebook likes was just that, a wave. it was not repeated after today, but no big deal.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Well of course understandably, after investing financially and in time and efforts you want to generate revenues and hopefully make some profits. But I think that you should aim more toward PROMOTION AND ADVERTISING than SALES at this very early stage. Once you get yourself established, have built a customer base, the sales revenues should start coming in.
    Make a brochure ( 8.5 by 11" folded, making 3 pages), describing your product, providing pricing and ordering info ...

Having said that I think you should put more emphasis on advertising and promotion aspects of your business at this stage.

Just my $0.02

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

you're the third person to suggest a pamphlet this week. I'm gonna have to consider it.

I went again today, I made roughly the same amount that I did last sunday, but last week I had a lot more sampler pack sales, this week I had substantially more sales, but most were just one bottle. hey, that's fine by me. all the people in the booths next to me kept commenting on how slow it was, and how I seemed to be the only one making any money.

I am slowly but surely beginning to put the pieces together to do farmers markets and larger outdoor events. it's almost scary to me how much more comfortable I'm getting when it comes to speaking to customers, and calling people over to try samples.

I don't wanna get ahead of myself but this is starting to seem like it's gonna work out just fine. the most difficult part is getting people over to my table to try samples, once I get them there, actually selling the sauce is easy. it pretty much sells itself.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

> "The most difficult part is getting people over to my table to try samples"

(Non-spousal) booth babe?

P.S. If it seems that I have a one-track mind, I do. I'm male.

• Edymnion
    9 years ago

Free ghost pepper samples and $5 bottles of milk. Just putting it out there... ;)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I like the way you think. :-D

Even if it could get you arrested.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had a wonderful weekend at the market. it seems every weekend has been a little better than the one before it, but this weekend blew the previous ones away. and I had 3 sales from people who I saw come from the parking lot, come straight to my booth to buy my sauce, then go home. meaning they came to the flea market just for the sauce. 2 of which told me they came because others had told them how good the sauce is. that makes me really happy. and all the other vendors I talked to said they did terrible this weekend,

I am getting more optimistic every week. it really seems like this is gonna work. I don't wanna give numbers, but holy crap I'm excited.

I was hesitant to post this because I feel like it sounds as if I'm trying to brag. I really hope that's not what I sound like. I just wanted to give you guys an update on how it's going, and as of now I have nothing but positive news to share.

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

It really doesn't sound like bragging, it sounds like all of your hard work is paying off which is awesome and inspiring!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Jason, I'm glad things are going well. Great to hear from you.

• Edymnion
    9 years ago

Congrats, remember us little people when you're a big famous hotsauce baron. ;)

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

I was hesitant to post this because I feel like it sounds as if I'm trying to brag.
    No brag, just fact.