Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canuckistani

Fastest growing pepper plants for colder climate

canuckistani
14 years ago

Looking for suggestions for a fast growing hot pepper plant for cooler climates. I'm as interested in the leaves as the fruit...

Any ideas?

Comments (19)

• User
    14 years ago

canuckistani,

Most pepper seed vendors will include "Days to Maturity" or something equivalent in their descriptions. You can start there.

In my experience in zone 5, most if not all peppers need to be started indoors before planting outside. Of course we're all at the mercy of nature (some years better than others).

For reference, I'm in zone 5a. I'm starting my long season super hots (Bhut Jolokia etc.) in December. My Habaneros and other similar types in Feb and my ornamental in early March. My last frost date is May 24 but usually wait until first week of June before leaving out overnight.

You have 5b as your zone so I'm guessing you'll be needing to consider space and time to get them started inside to have a harvest before season end.

Bill

• canuckistani
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tips Bill.

Do you transplant the long season hot peppers outside in May/June? Even the ones you start in December?? I thought the longest you can grow them indoors was 10 weeks- and beyond that they won't grow properly.

I'm actually growing some of the hot pepper plants for the leaves only (used in a special dish), is there a hot variety that gets leafy and grows faster in our climate?

Thanks again!

• pepperot
    14 years ago

Here's an old thread on cultivating peppers for leaves. My vote would have to be for a thai pepper. They grow lots of leaves fast.

Here is a link that might be useful: pepper leaves

• User
    14 years ago

canuckistani,

You do understand that peppers are a member of the "Night Shade" family? Are you feed the leaves to people or are they decoration?

Bill

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

Pepper leaves are edible. They're not spicy, though. You can even eat them in "shoot" form.

• User
    14 years ago

Correct bc-crn,

But some people experience sensitivity or allergy like symptoms in response to nightshade plants. In some circles nightshade is considered a poisonous plant.

Yes, tobacco is a member of the family and won't kill you unless in high doses over time. The OP was infering they were growing for food. Just thought they should know.

Peace,

Bill

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

Peppers are generally (and I only say generally because there might be a few plants out there that do) free of the alkaloid that cause tomatoes/potatoes to be so toxic.

• vic01
    14 years ago

A general guide to when peppers can be planted outside is when nightime temps stay at 50 degrees or above. Peppers don't like to be cold and wet.

Jackie

• canuckistani
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do you guys have opinions on plastic mulch?

What sort of differences in yield do you see?

Is there a specific type of mulch that is more effective than others?

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

Plastic for weed control if you need it. My plots are small enough to manage.

You can get a little extra time into starting your peppers under plastic, but it's usually not a big advantage. It's main advantage is weed control...it's main disadvantage is running irrigation under it.

• hendrik_vanderdekin
    14 years ago

Hands down Purira, grows well in pots, tolerates the cool Northern California coastal weather in an unheated greenhouse and has great heat.

Rocotos do well here too

• reyna1
    14 years ago

I wasn't going to pipe in but I am quite surprised that no one mentioned Manzano's or any other Capsicum Pubescens plants such as the Rocoto. I have read (though haven't yet grown) that these grow in cool climates.

Hope this helps.
    Danny

• agesilaus
    14 years ago

Beaver Dam peppers grow particularly fast in Wisconsin. Plus they have great flavor!

• jolokster
    14 years ago

I would say that aji limon's are one of my favorites.I believe they are from the Andes.Do well in central wi.

• canuckistani
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the input. Are there any shepherd pepper varieties that do particularly well in a cooler climate?

Am I right in thinking that most believe plastic mulch to be not worth the effort?

• brien_nz
    14 years ago

Can anyone tell me where I can get Beaver Dam seeds over the internet? The only source that I can find is Seedsavers, and they have a $100 minimum order for International orders!
    Thanks,
    Brien

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

In my experience, banana peppers are the fastest growing and most fool-proof.

• canuckistani
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Banana peppers are the same as pepperoncini?

• rdback
    14 years ago

"Banana peppers are the same as pepperoncini?"

Ummm....no.

Banana"

"Pepperoncini"

Sponsored