dmforcier_gw

Improving Thanksgiving Dinner

DMForcier
9 years ago

One word:

Spicy Cranberry Sauce.

Comments (22)

• MikeUSMC

I second what OZZY2001 and willard3 said. I smoked a turkey a few years ago. I took it out of the freezer 2 days before Hurricane Irene hit the northeast. Lost power (electric oven) and didn't want it to go to waste. By far, the best, juiciest turkey I've ever had.(Disclaimer: I still haven't had a deep fried turkey) Been doing it annually for Thanksgiving ever since. Turkey sandwiches with chipotle mayo definitely put it over the top. Some spicy cranberry jelly or sauce would probably knock this out of the park.

Mike

• MikeUSMC

I second what OZZY2001 and willard3 said. I smoked a turkey a few years ago. I took it out of the freezer 2 days before Hurricane Irene hit the northeast. Lost power (electric oven) and didn't want it to go to waste. By far, the best, juiciest turkey I've ever had.(Disclaimer: I still haven't had a deep fried turkey) Been doing it annually for Thanksgiving ever since. Turkey sandwiches with chipotle mayo definitely put it over the top. Some spicy cranberry jelly or sauce would probably knock this out of the park.

Mike

• MikeUSMC

Mike

This post was edited by MikeUSMC on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 7:34

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aw heck. Someone already beat me to it .. by 5 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cranberry flavored habaneros

• tomt226
    9 years ago

How about a salsa using cranberry juice. Maybe with red Bhuts. And a few cranberries.
    That would damn shore git rid of that stuff in turkey that puts you to sleep. Wake that mouth right up.
    Call it "Pilgrim Punisher..."

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

alcohol helps a lot too

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Actually, the tryptophan in turkey is rendered almost to no effect when mixed with other foods. So, if you eat thanksgiving dinner with all the sides and such, it's most likely OVEREATING(and booze) that makes one feel sleepy, not the tryptophan. If all you eat is turkey alone, then yes... drowsiness would be the result of the turkey.

Simply a myth. Think about it --- when you have a turkey sandwich the next day, do you want to take a nap afterwards?

Kevin

• tomt226
    9 years ago

It's probably all the carbs from dressing, mashed 'taters, gravy, biscuits, et cetera...

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

> "Think about it --- when you have a turkey sandwich the next day, do you want to take a nap afterwards?"

Yep.

• uncleflip
    9 years ago

I don't need the turkey sammich to want a nap. :)

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Well, I took the plunge last night, I made some spicy cranberry sauce, just as an experiment. I used a couple of Aji Limons mixed in, could have used a couple more, but it has a very mild heat and the Aji's mix well with the cranberries. Wish I'd remember to add some cinnamon and a few spices, but I forgot.. might do that this evening, although it won't be the same
    Pam

• ozzy2001
    9 years ago

I'm thinking about making some jerked turkey. I tried the jerk chicken recipe that someone posted on the forums a couple months ago. It was really good.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

jerk turkey. I like the idea. I'm gonna have to try it.

maybe smoke it too. or at least smoke for an hour or so and then put in the oven so it doesn't take 2 days to cook.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I ha a can of whole cranberry sauce. I used that as base and mixed with my pure hot sauce( no sugar, no sweetener, with vinegar) and made a nice pint of spicy cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving dinner.
    It turned out awesome.

seysonn

• willardb3
    9 years ago

Chipotle mayo on smoked turkey.

• ozzy2001
    9 years ago

I've smoked ours the last couple years. It's amazing! Put the turkey breast down in roasting tray. Make a tin foil tent ank smoke for about 1 1/2 hrs. Then open up flip and baste. Then it's another hour or so. Just look up herb & honey smoked turky on allrecipies.com. I'll look when I get home and copy link for you. It was easily the best turkey I've ever had.
    I would reccomend putting the turkey on a rack in the pan so it doesn't stick to the pan.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

it's looking about 80% likely that I'm gonna do a jerk turkey this year.

I have a smoker, but I determined when I bought it with the business account that it was for use with peppers only, and I'm gonna stick to that. so it'll probably just be a turkey with my semi official jerk seasoning on it and cooked in the oven, but hey, close enough.

• ozzy2001
    9 years ago

Judo you don't even have to use a smoker. If you have a Weber or another charcoal grill just put it in there and put the wood hips straight on the coals. I couldn't even fit the turkey in my smoker.

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Turkey jerky? A perfect thing to sample on your web site as an example of what could be done with your upcoming (soon to be in preview) jerk sauce and a hair dryer.

Side effect: Use of commercial equipment perfectly justified.

Dennis

[ozzy: "wood hips"? Anything like rose hips?]

• ozzy2001
    9 years ago

Lol damn iPhone typing. Hips don't lie. I agree with DM too. The best part about owning a business and any equipment from it is being able to take advantage of it :). Now if you're abusing the usage that's a different story.

• willardb3
    9 years ago

Find a butcher who smokes meat for your turkey. We have a German butcher and he does a perfect job.

Many butchers have smoke houses.

• Big Kahuna
    9 years ago

Just stumbled upon this recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cranberry Sauce with Chile

Sponsored