Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

sneaky trick for making brown sauce from chocolate peppers

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

I made a batch of chocolate scorpion sauce a week or two ago, and found it quite disappointing on an aesthetic level, because pure ground up choc scorps have a lovely brown color. but when I make sauce with superhots I add bell peppers and tomato paste to the mix to dilute it a bit, that way it's still thick, but isn't murderously hot. and when you add red bells to the mix, the end result is a red sauce. disappointing to say the least. we taste with our eyes first, then our noses, and finally our tongues. a visually unappealing sauce already has a strike against it.

so I had been trying to think of how to make a brown sauce, and I was racking my brain to find a commercially available brown mild pepper to use as the filler without breaking the bank. then the lightbulb in my head turned on, when I thought back to the things I learned in kindergarten. red finger paint + green finger paint = a brown mess.

so I figured out the answer is to use 2 green bells for every one red bell in the recipe. it changes the flavor slightly, but not necessarily in a bad way.

so for all of you out there who love your douglahs, chocolate habs, and choc bhuts, etc., and wanna make a sauce that's chromatically representative of the peppers used, the answer is simple.

in the picture from left to right: the ground up chocolate scorpions (see the thread on keeping large quantities of peppers from going to waste), the remainder of the first batch (delicious sauce, already sold out), and finally the new one with a lovely brown color (I think it's even better tasting, but I'm quite biased).

Comments (4)