Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bhut Jolokia Pepper Jelly

Posted by Elbourne 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 15:46

I've grown Bhut Jolokia Peppers for the last couple of years. They are VERY hot. I'd like to make some pepper jelly with them, but substituting these ghost peppers for other peppers in a standard pepper jelly recipe could prove dangerous. For example, the Sure-Jell recipe calls for 4 cups prepared peppers, 1 cup cider vinegar, and 5 cups sugar. I think if I added 4 cups of Bhut Jolokia Peppers, a small cracker full could kill someone; not to mention the fact that I don't even have that many.

So my question, as a jelly novice, can I use the same amount of vinegar, sugar, and Sure-jell, but only use a few peppers? Would that work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bhut Jolokia Pepper Jelly

Try a mixture of Bhuts and another chile such as Jalapenos?

o

kentishman, I considered that. I would need to make a trip to the grocery store and buy some since I do not have any of my own right now. I was hoping to just make a small batch of something with what I have on hand this afternoon.

Another thought was to use carrots. A carrot/pepper jelly swirled into cream cheese with roasted pecans sounds interesting.

My jars are sterilizing right now, so I guess I will decide on something soon.

o

Finished. I just used 7 peppers. I was going to use 13, but my wife talked me out of it. It made a half dozen 4oz jars.

I tasted a dab of the syrup. It was plenty hot, but tasted great. I think it will go well as an appetizing cracker spread on Thanksgiving Day.

I posted a pic to my Facebook page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Don Elbourne on Facebook

o

Peppers are low acid so if you're following a tested recipe, you can safely change/mix pepper varieties as long as the volume equals the recipe amount.

4 cups seems like quite a few peppers for a small batch canning recipe but if you trust it, you can tone down the Jolokia heat by using one cup Jolokia and three cups Bell.

See the link below for another popular jelly, Habanero Gold. I've made both versions subbing Jolokias for Habs with great results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jelly recipes

o

Update: I cracked open a jar and spread the Bhut Jolokia Pepper Jelly on wheat thin crackers. It came out tasting very good, although a little stickier than standard jelly.

I think I may try another batch this afternoon. A few drops of red food coloring might go into this one. The first batch looked sort of plain with just a few pieces of chopped peppers floating in the top of a clear jelly.

Question: I read somewhere that you can put jelly in the microwave for a few minutes to liquify it and then pour it over cream cheese. Does that work? I would hate to ruin a jar of jelly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here