Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

How to get the wife involved... In the hobby

Bill_Missy
9 years ago

Hi guys and gals,

I just had to post this to give my wife a little recognition lol. I recently (2 weeks ago) had back surgery. Needless to say I can not bend over to pick my peppers. My wife has been a fan of my hobby only to the point of knowing I have a hobby... She never really got involved until now as far as picking. Over the past couple weeks she has picked a couple hundred pods off the plants and she is learning the pepper type names and heat level etc... She just wont eat any unless it is a Jalapeno lol.

The picture below is what she picked today. I have hundreds still on the over 40 plants. I hope the weather will hold out for another two weeks or so, so the wife can pick them :)

Sorry for the rant, I just had to give my appreciation to me wife Melissa.

Bill

Comments (14)

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one

• uncleflip
    9 years ago

Nice... as someone recently married (one month yesterday), it's good to know I have someone who I can put to work on my plants if I need it. :)

..and thanks to (both of) you for sending along the seeds a couple days ago!

Thomas 'Flip' Lower

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Bill,

You're a lucky guy.. a couple years ago i had a surgery. It was early in the year, outpatient, i came home took an extra pain pill with a couple beers and resumed planting seeds. My wife won't touch them. In fact she locks herself in the bedroom when i am cutting or grinding them

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Maybe gardening is like science fiction in that you're either into it or you're not. My wife is into science fiction and gardening but I'll pass on both. Unless the women in the science fiction are hot, then I can suffer through an episode or two.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Lucky indeed! My DH *might* pick some peppers, *might* water them if I was away or laid up, but no way would he plant seeds, mist them, rotate flats on a heat mat, or any of that. I can sort of trust him to weed once things are established (he can tell the difference between a transplant - with cutworm collar - and weeds, or head lettuce, carrots, etc. and weeds once they're pretty well grown) but if something doesn't have a fruit or a root (carrot, beet, turnip) he recognizes, it had *better* be in a row with several others just like it b/c he pulls anything that's "out of line".

Flip/Tom - congratulations!

• zzackey
    9 years ago

My husband grew one Datil pepper this year. I'm afraid to even go near it. I got burnt by touching a Habanero plant years ago and being in intense pain for 8 hours. Don't you have to wear gloves to pick hot peppers?

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Treburchet

I am with you on the science fiction thing.. unless Princess Leigha is getting naked, i'm not watching. lol

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

my wife loves hot peppers, and loves the things made with them. she won't take any part in growing them though. "that's your hobby" she says. she also looks at me like a goof when I go on about how cool some of the weird ones look.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Yeah, I don't even eat the really hot ones, DH and DS eat jalapenos and serranos like they're nothing and enjoy the hotter ones, but neither of them will have anything to do with the plants. At least I got DH to help make salsa once this year, and DS made some poppers!

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Nice gal you have there Bill. I, myself, am rather tentative asking for garden help. That way, I don't end up lashing out when I see something amiss.

Zackey: nah. I've never had any residual capsaicin from simply harvesting.

Kevin

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Bill,
    Good to hear you got some help. Does that Owl really keep the squirrels away? I saw one nibble a Ghost that I had hung on a tomato plant, and it ran around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Didn't try that again.
    DW won't pick or even wash dishes when I've been making sauce or canning. She claims that "everything's too hot."
    'Course, it's a double standard. I gotta help with all the hibiscus, Bouganvillas, roses, et al all year.
    Is that a Lemon Drop? Those make a good fresh salsa...

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all, some good stories.

TomT226, I don't have a problem with squirrels but I do have a problem with Birds. It does help keep the birds away that's for sure. The pepper you see is a Yellow Bhut. They are thin and long for some reason but they do have the heat and taste of a Bhut. I think it may be a cross.

Bill

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Bill, glad the wife is able and willing to save your season for you and I hope the surgery went well and recovery is 100%.
    That being said, I don't think I will be signing up for any surgery any time soon in the hopes of getting the wife involved in my pepper growing. But if I do need any kind of surgery in the near future, I will be sure to milk it for all it is worth in getting the wife out there.
    Bruce

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler