Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Still going strong...kinda

Posted by woohooman San Diego CA 10a (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 15:58

Still kinda going strong. Been pulling a plant here and there, all annuums. Did my last LARGE harvest, I think. Although frost isn't expected here for another couple months, I think what pods are going now(mainly chinense), I'm not counting for a huge last "flush." Days temps are great, but the decreasing sunshine and the cooler nights don't help.

Here's yesterday's haul.

What's up with pod size of Annuums???

Year after year, I notice that after the initial flush or 2, Annum pod size really suffers. Chinense varieties, I've noticed, keep their size consistent from 1st to last.

From top left to right(Annuums) --- Small Big Jim, Small Serrano, Small Mammoth Jalapenos, Small Guajillos

Middle Left to right --- Naga cross, 7 Pot, Naga Morich

Bottom -- Bhut

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Still going strong...kinda

Nice and red. :)

In all seriousness that is good looking. Here is what I got today. Hoping to keep my garden going strong over the winter in the GH.

o

Good looking harvest guys. I pulled most of my stuff a week or so ago. I still have a couple plants, but they're looking pretty rough.

Tim

o

My annuums mostly get smaller late in the year, and the late-setting chinense do too. I think what you are seeing is that many chinense set their pods early then take FOREVER to ripen. So late in the year the summer pods are still there - big.

Dennis

o

Nice harvest! I know what you mean about later season peppers being smaller. I don't know if it's cooler temps, or shorter days or what, but, I've noticed that too. It seems more prominent in annuums, but, I've seen it in chinese as well.

o

Kevin - Great looking harvest for November. It's been about a month now for any harvesting here in MN; so I enjoy seeing yours and others in warmer areas posting pics.

Per pods being smaller. I notice smaller pods as our days get shorter and cooler, so I'm thinking that weather has something to do with it. But hey, as long as I have pod production they can be whatever size they can get to!

jtight - Thanks for sharing your harvest pics too.

Sandy

o

Thanks everybody. Might have some more pics later on, but the decreased sunlight really slows everything down even if the daytime temps are still in the 80's.

DMF: you may be onto something there. Although, I do see some decent sized superhots stlll ripening.

Sandy: Glad to give you Northeners some eye candy during the cold winters. I hear you about pod size. Varieties like Jalapenos et al don't bother me too much with size. But to see an Anaheim plant loaded with FOUR inch pods gets frustrating because you know it's not going to be worth roasting and peeling.

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here