Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

overwintering

ruthz
10 years ago

What if I cut down to about 6 inches and put in small pots to bring into garage for winter.
Then replant in raised beds or larger pots in spring.
Beaver Dam and maybe a few others including Tolli's Italian and purple jalapeno.

Comments (14)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

The consensus is that you have to overwinter peppers like house plant. You cannot just put them in a cold dark garage and water now and then and keep them alive fo six months like that

Lets here from the experienced.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have kept potted pepper plants over the winter before.

My question is cutting back plants that are in the garden now and putting them in a small pot, then replanting in spring.

This would be in hopes of having pepper faster than having to start with seeds again.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

That is fine. Some people even do root pruning. The purpose is just keeping the plant alive, not much of the way of growing. This is done, I think , mostly for space requirement. I just brought in a small ornamental pepper, just to keep it as house plant. I did not prune it b'c it is a dwarf/miniature plant.

Search in THIS FORUM about "Severe Pruning"

This post was edited by seysonn on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 3:47

• willardb3
    10 years ago

There is a search function at the bottom of the page and this is a common subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering

This post was edited by willard3 on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 8:01

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I have heard of many people overwintering plants in their garage or even outside if they are in the south. They will look like they have died but as long as they don't freeze, they will usually come back. I have overwintered several years but since I live in Wisconsin and don't have a heated or even insulated garage, I have to overwinter indoors. I decided not to do it this year as I just didn't want to deal with it this year. But I have seen several stories of others simply pulling their containers into the garage after the growing season and coming to find out the plants are still alive in the spring when they didn't even expect them to be since they didn't water them or give them any real sunlight all winter. This is even for climates much colder than Texas.
    Bruce

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

If you really want that "headstart," you should aim to maintain some semblance of vitality in your plants - green stems, new foliage, water and nutrients all Winter long. Otherwise, in my opinion, it's better to start from seed.

I overwintered a Pepperoncini in my garage one year, let it die back to two aphid-covered leaves, didn't protect it from the cold....and it survived, but took a long time to re-establish.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I agree with Greenman. IMO, overwintered plants only marginally out produce new plants. After overwintering the last couple winters, I decided not to this year. It was a good experience but I just didn't want to deal with it again this year. Between the Aphids and my dog thinking they are toys, I will be skipping this season. February isn't that far off and the seeds are getting anxious.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Well in Wisconsin they have a somewhat longer winter than down here (ATL is the same latitude as DFW). My overwinters do not go dormant and I don't prune much. They get south-facing, though shaded, sun and do just fine thank you very much. In my experience the overwintered plants - up to about 4 years - that are handled in this way far outproduce seedlings early in the year. And there is far less work involved. Nor have I had much trouble with pests such as aphids. My trouble is basically me forgetting to water.

Try it. You'll like it. And set seeds in January anyway.

Dennis

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

DMForcier:
    Yah, that is kind of what I was getting at. it just isn't real convenient for me to overwinter. If I had your climate, it would be different. I can't get seeded plants out until late May so starting in January is too early for me. I would run out of room under the lights. Our growing season is so much shorter than yours. I am jealous in that regard.

I did overwinter the last two years...that is how I come to my thoughts on overwintering. It was a good, fun and interesting experiment for those two years but I just wasn't up to it again this winter. I may come to regret that as the snow is about to fly and the coming growing season is a long, long ways away for me.
    Bruce

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

I hear that. This is really the first year that I have to decide what to overwinter. I sold some plants Sunday so am down to 30 I need do decide about. Here's what is not on the 'save' list:

Japone (3)
    Korean Dk Green (2)
    Mammoth Jalapeno (3, including the 4-year old)
    "Black cobra" (doubtful parentage)
    Bill's 7 Pot cross (2) not pure
    Scorpion (probable cross)
    Naga Morich (redundant)
    the in-ground volunteers
    A few others..

What will be in the garage, for as long as that lasts
    Scorpions trees (2)
    St. Peter
    Douglah
    Red Fatalii (2, though one is marginal)
    Devil's Tongue (at least until the pods ripen)
    Lemon Drop
    Alma (until fruits ripen anyway)
    Congo
    Savina
    Twilight
    Black Pearl
    Orange Thai (as an ornamental)

And of course not all of them will survive...

Dennis

• rdback
    10 years ago

I have wandered down the same path as Bruce over the years. Here is how I decided to overwinter this year. No bugs, outta sight, outta mind and maintenance free until Spring! The cats are disappointed however.

Rick

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I guess that might work in zone 6 but I am in zone 4 and I don't think any of those would come back next spring. :(
    Bruce

• tsheets
    10 years ago

haha that's one way to do it, Rick! ;-)

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Rick has the right idea for overwintering. Not worth the trouble for me. I do bring alot of potted plants in, but i scrap them once they quit producing. Been there, done that, mine did produce earlier the next year but they never fully came out of it. Overall, the seedlings ended up out producing them. I Bring them in loaded with peppers and flowers, they slow down in the low light and its febuary by the last peppers are ripe.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs