Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtight

Favorite NEW Pepper of 2014

jtight
9 years ago

What was your favorite NEW pepper of 2014 a/ why?

For me it was the Habanero de Arbol. Great flavor a/ good amount of heat. Plant grew to ~3ft tall a kept pumping out peppers.

Johnny

Comments (15)

• pepperseedman
    9 years ago

For me it is Bahamian Goat. Really good flavor, incredibly high yields and a really cool shape and color.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I've been looking for bahamian goat seeds for a bahamian friend, what's the word on a trade?

favorite new pepper this year is the white 7pot. great and unique flavor, good yield (slow as hell to ripen though), very large plant. beautiful pods. wish I'd saved more seeds.

• User
    9 years ago

Easy... descriptions from my 2014 grow log.

Aleppo

variety that I've had seeds for for years and never grew out, this year I grew out some Aleppo (PI 181864). I now understand why they are popular. Great producers, nice warm heat and nice flavour profile. After drying and powdering my first few harvests I can see why chefs love them. I'll be growing it again.

Peach Bhut Jolokia

I've grown red Bhuts for years and in the past couple of years grown the Chocolate and Yellow Bhuts. This year was the first time growing the Peach. Regarding its flavour, Greenman28 / Josh's description in his grow log sums it up really well; âÂÂtruly fruity up front, even 'peachy' if you're creative. But the heat was more than I expected, and it kept creeping and creeping and creeping as Bhut's do. Wow, what a flavorâÂÂ.

Out of the four coloured Bhuts, these are the closest to the original red (my favourite super hot) but with a nicer aroma and fruity flavour.

And to expand on the topic, this year I re-discovered a variety I haven't grown for years. Definitely going to add it to my must grow list.

Naga Jolokia (PC-1)

When news broke of the Assam Naga "Bhut Jolokia" being crowned as the newest world's hottest, crooked vendors started selling seeds from the Indian frutescens PC-1 as the record holder. Truth told, it only clocks in at 100k SHU. Aside from its tainted past, it's a decent pepper in its own right. When I sliced one open today the first thing that struck me was I had forgotten how fruity these things were. Great for adding hot flavour to any dish or for flaking, I'd recommend people try them at least once.

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Brazilian Starfish
    You just have to try it is all I can say

40 plants going next season for sure

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

1 grew one that had 2-3pods turn red. Haven't tasted them as I grew for the color/shape aspect. Guessing they taste good if you're planning on 40 next year.

Johnny

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Not that big a deal really,just a great tasting pod,looking forward to drying and powdering.
    Then working around that for milder sweet rub mixs as well as adding flavor to choco super hot blends that are normally not to tasty.
    Yes indeed fresh pods are great and I can eat them 3 X a day without a second thought

• seysonn
    9 years ago

TNKS,
    How early (or late) are BFs ? and How big they get ?
    I have some seeds that might grow next year.

But my favorite turned out to be Lemon Drop. I have a decent crop from one plant.

Seysonn

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Different strokes for different folks. I received a bunch of fresh Brazilian Starfish this week and found them to be nearly flavorless. Closer flavor to the cardboard box they came in than anything. Cute shape, but too small to mess with, imo.

The Jimmy Nardello on the other hand was fantastic. It's my new favorite sweet red pepper and one I will definitely be growing next year.

• sandysgardens
    9 years ago

I tried quite a few new peppers this year. One in particular that stands out is the 'Dedo de Moca'. It's been a workhorse of a plant, very prolific. Well over 150 - 2 1/2 inch pendant shaped pods on one 4ft plant. I grew it in a 5 gal bucket. It's thick skinned, with an initial slightly sweet taste then some heat kicks in.

Sandy

• TNKS
    9 years ago

seysonn,
    Ive never grown them,I bought 2 boxs from Judy at Pepperlover and then bought 4 more boxs :)
    Not sure on mecdaves source but that review is nothing near the well known profile of this strain.Look it up,its very well documented.

anyway . . . . . . .

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Not sure that my input qualifies under the original premise since I didn't grow these but received pods in a Care package (thank you, Jeremy), but anyway:

Mako Akokasrade - Rare pepper from Ghana that has a very different flavor and heat profile. Reported to be prolific.

Tr. Scorpion Butch T - Massive heat and wonderful flavor ("applesauce" has been suggested).

Dennis

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Let us talk more about your pick for 2014.

I already mentioned Lemon Drop. But I also like "RED HAB". Compared to the orange hab, it has more heat and thicker wall. So I pruned the plant back (top and roots) and brought it inside , to overwinter. I hope it survives.

seysonn

• worlad
    9 years ago

For me it was the Tunisian Baklouti's I grew for the first time, good looking 4-5 inch pods, excellent flavor, a touch of heat and very prolific.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

I don't know if I'd call it my new favorite, but, I really do like the Elefant (and yes, I know how to spell elephant, everywhere I've seen it's spelled that way). If you can get past the excessive corking, it's a very flavorful and productive pepper.
    Pam

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

There are only a few I have tried that are flavorful enough for me to overwinter or grow again. (I like the Hot Hot stuff).

Monkey Face red: very nice flavor and med heat. Really fruity, sweet, mango like flavor. If I can get the Yellow M.F. to seed, that one for sure too.
    Aleppo for sure
    Manzanos: takes a while but worth the wait.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 20:24

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville