Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtight

What to grow next?

jtight
10 years ago

Having grown the following varieties (in bulk), am taking suggestions on what to grow next in small quantity (i.e., 3 plants max).
1. Jalapeno
2. Orange Habanero
3. Cayenne (red)
4. Ghost (red)
5. Trinidad Scorpion (red)

Currently #'s: 3,4, a/ 5 are still growing in my GH.

Recently ordered some Trinidad Yellow Pot; however, haven't rec'd yet.

For suggestions, can you provide a reliable source where to procure seeds.

- johnny

Comments (18)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

WHAT TO GROW NEXT ?
    It is all a matter of preference and choice.
    I personally do not need more heat than say Habanero. Serrano is pretty hot for me to eat and ENJOY. Then comes Manzano ( 20k shu). I like its meaty texture and fruity taste..
    I can make my sauce with those and Korean and Thai chilies. I also grow some for ornamental reason plus non-bell sweets.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

which variety of trinidad scorpion are you growing? there's a ton of red scorpions.

personally I like the brain strain, a lot. in fact more than any other variety I've tried thus far, with the chocolate scorpion being the runner up.

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judo -
    I ordered two packages (10 seeds per) of the Butch T Strain from California Seed a/ Garden Co in 2012. Planted them a/ got 4 solid plants.

This is a pic of a harvest about 2 wks ago.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

personally I'm not a fan of the butch T's flavor, but then again I'm not a huge fan of the bhut's flavor either (I like it, but not as much as I like others. I don't like how instead of giving heat as soon as you bite in, it just burns your throat).

I'd stick with my recommendation for the brain strain, trinidad congo peppers are pretty tasty as well, thai bird peppers are great, aji limon is really tasty, and everyone talks about how great the fatalii is.

there's my recommendations.

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That Fatalii looks interesting. Prob be good w/ some citrus chicken or grilled corn.

Do you have any seeds for sale?

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Jtight: There will be a couple seed swaps that you can get in on in the next few weeks or so. Stick around and you can get seeds for nothing more than a SASBE. You don't even have to have seeds yourself to swap.

As far as what you should try next, that would be up to personal preference and what types of dishes/cuisine you prefer. In my opinion, you want to grow varieties that you'll USE. I, myself, like to grow a wide range of varieties from sweet to nuclear and that are good for using fresh, dried or both.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 12:41

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin -

No clue what SASBE means. Pls help me understand.

Your thought process (sweet to nuclear) is kind of where I think I am going to go for personal use.

I did receive my yellow 7 pot today. Am going to work on getting some of the yellow Fatalii.

Perhaps the "seed swap" will be a good venue to get some diff. types to try.

Thanks

10 years ago

Self Addressed Stamped Bubble Envelope.

Just stay tuned in. Soon, there will be a post regarding a seed swap and that post will contain all instructions for that swap. There's usually at least 2 big swaps -- a holiday swap and then another later in winter..

Yep. A lot of people enjoy the swaps not only to get seeds that they want, but also to get seeds of varieties they didn't consider trying.

Kevin

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tks woohooman

• sjetski
    10 years ago

I'll try to name a few with unique, or representative flavors.

Def the Yellow Fatalii, strong & distinct tasting.

Aji Omnicolor. Lots of compliments on flavor, loaded plants.

Trinidad Perfume. A sweet chinense, never tasted anything like it before or after. The original line has bell shaped pods, i can't vouch for the other lines/shapes.

Aji Chanca Yellow. Strong and sweet "yellow baccatum" taste when ripe. A bushy plant that can get huge. Awesome fresh, fried or pickled. A new keeper for me.

I agree, a seed swap is a good place to start, otherwise i'll post a link to an old seller that has some unusual stuff.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: John The Chilli Man

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tks Steve

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Here Are some that I plan to grow:

HABANERO, SERRANO, MANZANO, THAI CHILLI, KOREAN, BIRDS EYE, chilaca
    i will let these ripe for sauce.
    sweets:
    GYPSY, CUBANELLE, CASCABEL, FRESNO, BISHOPS HAT, SHISHITO, PEPPERONCINI, CHIHUACLE ROJO
    eat these when stil mostly green, pickle, grill

I have also few ornamental.
    All will go into pots, from 2 to 5 gal.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

I have to agree with Judo, i perfer the 7 pots to the scorpions and the dorset naga to the bhut. But we are a minority, most people love the ghosts. If you are looking for heat? I still think the Trinidad Douglah smokes them all. The Reapers suprised me, every bit as hot as the Butch T with better flavor.

• hillseeker
    10 years ago

sjetski, would you happen to have any of those listed seeds available for trade? Check out my list. http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/HillSeeker

• seysonn
    10 years ago

It is amazing to me how some of you guys can even figure out the taste behind a SHU of over 1,000,000. I can hardly tell the difference between Jalapeno and Serrano flavor.

10 years ago

Seysonn: because right before your brain tells you how painful a superhot is, there's about 20 seconds which there is no pain(or very little) and you can focus on the flavor.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 11:24

10 years ago

Double post

This post was edited by woohooman on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 11:23

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

also, who says you have to eat them straight? when I make hot sauce, sometimes I'll use the same exact ingredient ratio with 2 different sauces with a different base pepper. you can easily tell the difference. the beauty of the superhots is the flavor is retained even when diluted. I've never eaten a whole pod of any superhots, and I don't think I ever want to. but I can tell the taste difference between them, very easily. also there's a lot that can be determined simply by the smell.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery