Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kclost

Hot Sauce Success!

kclost
10 years ago

1/2 Ghosts and 1/2 Red Jalapenos... Turned out awesome. Our new Vitamix blender does a great job...

Comments (17)

• t-bones
    10 years ago

Looks great. Congrats!

• jtight
    10 years ago

Good stuff. Guessing it will take you awhile to go through all that heat. :)

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are right... if anyone would be interested in a trade for some superhot seeds let me know...

• Bill_Missy
    10 years ago

What seeds are you looking for?

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Nice! Did you make a mash?

Kevin

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I'm quite interested in the recipe that got you a sauce in that color. as a fellow hot sauce maker, I am quite perplexed. you don't have to share your recipe if you don't want to, but an ingredient list would help me stop scratching my head.

• don555
    10 years ago

Looks great! Would be too hot for me, but for those with an iron tongue...

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Looks scrumptious!

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judo,

Not a problem at all. I'm not sure it's the ingredients or the method that makes the color the way it is. I blend everything using a Vitamix blender. And this thing liquefies everything, even the seeds. So it is more of an orange color when this happens. I do think my picture makes it look more orange than it actually is though.

Here is the ingredients... You can see the dried ghosts in the pic.

The blender holds 60 ounces, with that said I don't weigh any amount of the ingredients, it is just by what I know and have gone with in the past. Each batch took 1/2 of what is listed below.

I used at least as many ghost peppers as you see in the pic, probably a good handful more. seeds and membrane included.
    16 good sized, big, red jalapeno peppers, seeds and most of the membrane removed.
    6 cloves of garlic
    1 carrot
    salt
    lemon juice (maybe 8 oz)
    red wine vinegar ( around 10-12 oz total)

Cook the carrots and garlic down first and soften the dried ghosts in water. Add the ghosts, carrot, garlic, vinegar, and lemon juice to start the blending. You don't have to add all the liquids at once. Easy to add, hard to take away!! I just add the Jalapeno wedges as it is blending as well as more water to get the consistency I want. The Vitamix will heat up the mixture to around 180F due to the friction of the blade itself, but I mix up two batches and cook them to a good boil before bottling.
    You will need either a gas mask, or very good ventilation... lol... But I'm sure you all knew that already!

This post was edited by kclost on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 9:18

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Kclost..... I have seeds to trade for sauce if you're still interested,

Tim

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Absolutely. peppernovice and Bill_Missy,

I would love to get my hands on some Trinidad Morugas or some 7-Pots or maybe some chocolate Habs.

Let me know.

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

I don't see a way to e-mail you on your page. Shoot me an e-mail with your address.

Tim

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Email sent. I think I fixed mine so it will work now...

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

A $600 blender should produce good sauce !!

I've got scorpions out the wazoo if you want pods. Will need address and postage (Priority Mail would be in the $5 range.)

Dennis

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

> "Looks scrumptious!"

IS scrumptious! Not just heat but a great vegetable taste from the carrot and garlic and good acid from the lemon; a sweet note from the carrot and lemon, too (people neglect the amount of sugar in lemons).

Excellent back of the mouth burn - not intrusive and complements rather than seizes the foreground. The only change I'd make is more heat. When you get those fatalii bushes cranked up, try adding about half a dozen or eight.

I'm going to try something very similar with different peppers - probably jalapeno and St. Peter with superhots to bring the nuke (though the Rock is pretty hot in its own right).

Anyway, great trade. Thanks.

Dennis

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

I do not have seeds to trade but how much would you charge per bottle. I love hot hot stuff

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I need to make another batch. I will let everyone know when I have more available.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012