Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot Sauce Success!

Posted by kclost none (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 16:59

1/2 Ghosts and 1/2 Red Jalapenos... Turned out awesome. Our new Vitamix blender does a great job...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot Sauce Success!

Looks great. Congrats!

o

Good stuff. Guessing it will take you awhile to go through all that heat. :)

o

You are right... if anyone would be interested in a trade for some superhot seeds let me know...

o

What seeds are you looking for?

o

Nice! Did you make a mash?

Kevin

o

I'm quite interested in the recipe that got you a sauce in that color. as a fellow hot sauce maker, I am quite perplexed. you don't have to share your recipe if you don't want to, but an ingredient list would help me stop scratching my head.

o

Looks great! Would be too hot for me, but for those with an iron tongue...

o

Looks scrumptious!

o

Judo,

Not a problem at all. I'm not sure it's the ingredients or the method that makes the color the way it is. I blend everything using a Vitamix blender. And this thing liquefies everything, even the seeds. So it is more of an orange color when this happens. I do think my picture makes it look more orange than it actually is though.

Here is the ingredients... You can see the dried ghosts in the pic.

The blender holds 60 ounces, with that said I don't weigh any amount of the ingredients, it is just by what I know and have gone with in the past. Each batch took 1/2 of what is listed below.

I used at least as many ghost peppers as you see in the pic, probably a good handful more. seeds and membrane included.
16 good sized, big, red jalapeno peppers, seeds and most of the membrane removed.
6 cloves of garlic
1 carrot
salt
lemon juice (maybe 8 oz)
red wine vinegar ( around 10-12 oz total)

Cook the carrots and garlic down first and soften the dried ghosts in water. Add the ghosts, carrot, garlic, vinegar, and lemon juice to start the blending. You don't have to add all the liquids at once. Easy to add, hard to take away!! I just add the Jalapeno wedges as it is blending as well as more water to get the consistency I want. The Vitamix will heat up the mixture to around 180F due to the friction of the blade itself, but I mix up two batches and cook them to a good boil before bottling.
You will need either a gas mask, or very good ventilation... lol... But I'm sure you all knew that already!

This post was edited by kclost on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 9:18

o

Kclost..... I have seeds to trade for sauce if you're still interested,

Tim

o

Absolutely. peppernovice and Bill_Missy,

I would love to get my hands on some Trinidad Morugas or some 7-Pots or maybe some chocolate Habs.

Let me know.

o

I don't see a way to e-mail you on your page. Shoot me an e-mail with your address.

Tim

o

Email sent. I think I fixed mine so it will work now...

o

A $600 blender should produce good sauce !!

I've got scorpions out the wazoo if you want pods. Will need address and postage (Priority Mail would be in the $5 range.)

Dennis

o

> "Looks scrumptious!"

IS scrumptious! Not just heat but a great vegetable taste from the carrot and garlic and good acid from the lemon; a sweet note from the carrot and lemon, too (people neglect the amount of sugar in lemons).

Excellent back of the mouth burn - not intrusive and complements rather than seizes the foreground. The only change I'd make is more heat. When you get those fatalii bushes cranked up, try adding about half a dozen or eight.

I'm going to try something very similar with different peppers - probably jalapeno and St. Peter with superhots to bring the nuke (though the Rock is pretty hot in its own right).

Anyway, great trade. Thanks.

Dennis

o

I do not have seeds to trade but how much would you charge per bottle. I love hot hot stuff

o

I need to make another batch. I will let everyone know when I have more available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here