Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sidhartha0209

Queen Laurie PI1281405

sidhartha0209
11 years ago

Anyone have experience with this one? It's touted (on Peppermania at least) as one of the hottest of baccatum with a wonderful strong flavor and aroma typical of the species. I've searched GW (through Google) and surprisingly it appears this pepper hasn't been thoroughly discussed.

Comments (3)

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the link w/description & photo:

"This is one of the hottest C baccatums with have tasted. Approximate 3 - 4" pods with a blunt apex ripen from green to orange and packed with a the wonderful strong flavor and aroma typical of the species and backed up with a punch of heat. These pods make an excellent variety for hot sauce, salsas, pickling, grilling and smoking and drying for powder and flakes. We LOVE the heat of this C baccatum. Origin - Peru. USDA PI 281405"

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen Laurie PI281405; Capsicum baccatum; Peru

• naturemitch
    11 years ago

Had high hopes for this one, but sadly we did not get one pod from this variety. Next year will try again and get it germinated a bit earlier. Wish I had more to report. They did germinate well for us though.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You may actually have to overwinter inside the house up there where you're at in order to get fruit.

It seems there's not a lot of info out there on this chile. I wonder if it's known by another name. [Google] translated from Heuberger Wines & Spices (German, see link):

"Aji Queen Laurie
    Sharpness, SHU: 8/12, 60,000-90'000

Origin: Peru
    Botanical name: Capsicum baccatum
    Synonym: PI1281405

The Queen Laurie is one of the hottest and most aromatic C. baccatum. It is perfect for Hot Sauces, Salsas, Pickles - to roast and eat the fresh course. The flavor is similar to the Aji Amarillo. The plant matures, but about three weeks earlier. This makes it one of the few C. baccatum that produce ripe fruit in August."

Here is a link that might be useful: Heuberger Wines & Spices

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm