Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this safe

Posted by paulm321 none (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 17:30

I packed habaneros/chiles/etc. into half gallon mason jars and poured vinegar over them. I cant remember if I boiled vinegar first or not. If I did not, and there is no headspace in jars, is this safe? Will the vinegar kill the nasties? I dont understand why vinegar has to be boield in the first place, I though you could just pour it cold over the veggies and it would be ok?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this safe

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 17:54

paulm321: I have routinely canned my sliced Hot Hungarian Wax peppers that way. I add about 3/4 vinegar, 1/4 water, some salt, garlic, black pepper and seal 'em up. Now, mind you, I keep them refrigerated and don't plan on having them around after 2-3 months but it works great for me. Just think how many jars of pickles, peppers, and other condiments we all have in our refrigerators right now from the store that were opened many weeks ago. They don't go bad a week after they are opened if we keep them refrigerated. So neither should ones that are kept cold from the start. So unless you boiled the jars and the liquid according to canning guidelines, just keep them refrigerated and don't expect them to last all winter.
I am sure the purists will weigh in with their warnings and such but those are my thoughts.
Bruce

o
RE: is this safe

Paul. Vinegar does not need to be boiled as it is quite acidic. The reason many pickling solutions are boiled is because they have large amounts of water. My pickling solutions contain more water than vinegar anywhere between 3 to 5 times more, in addition to salt and spices of course. I use the 5% vinegar also called White or Distilled. It's the most acidic out there. I'd like to eventually switch to Apple Cider.

HTH
Rudy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here