Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scents_from_heaven

Thanls from my heart

scents_from_heaven
10 years ago

Thank you to everyone who sent me sends during my down time. You will never know how much good you did by your acts of generosity. I am still experiencing down periods as the holidays approach and adapting to my new enforced lifestyle but oh the joy I am feeling over total strangers who cared enough to reach out. I have been like a kid in a candy store as I opened each envelope to find treasures inside that have me assessing my yard and screened in back porch to ascertain which peppers will be going where and dreaming of new recipes to utilize them in. I also appreciate the pepper powder I received and can not wait to try it in a dish. I am one excited gardener and I owe it all to you. I am now into researching peppers and learning everything there is to learn in an educational setting and then anticipating the learning knowledge from growing. Life is good and gardeners on the hot pepper forum are the greatest. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Linda

Comments (17)

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Who needs those nasty old tomatoes who did such damage to me when you have wonderful hot peppers and some mild ones to grow.. We grew peppers as a child but nothing like I will be growing now. I have gone from bells and mild chili and poblanos to the real stuff and I now sincerely have a new passion. Will keep all of you updated with pictures and such as my garden begins around the end of December to mid-January with the sowing of seeds to the final products. Any recipe ideas would be appreciated.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Linda, did you get the seeds i sent yet? I lost ur email, i tried texting the number you gave to tell you i sent them out. John

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Linda - be careful with the powder i sent you. I don't know what you can handle. But that Douglah/Reaper/Scorpion mix is deadly. The Yellow Brain powder is almost as bad. It won't take much to heat your dishes up. John

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

John, yes I received your peppers yesterday and it had been a bad day but when I opened the envelope and smelled the aroma prior to removing the packets I was excited. I could not believe the selection you sent and with everything else I have received the really amazing part is that there have been only one of the same pepper sent. I am planning and drawing my yard and ascertaining where to place what to prevent cross polination if possible and I will keep the purest seeds on the back screened in porch. I am the one who thought the ghost chili sauce they have out at Tiajuana Flats was not that hot. Infact I drank the cup and everyone was stunned. I grew up on hot peppers and hot pepper sauce we made from hot peppers just stuffed into vinager. We ate it on everything from green to peas. The hotest peppers I ever grew were chilis, tobasco, habernaros and a wax pepper called hot as hell and still heating. So I am used to heat. I make food all the time with ghost chili sauce I bought but I do not like the flavor of it. It was made with green ghost chilis. I try everything in small batches until I know what the heat content is and knowing me I will place a tiny bit of the powder on my tongue to test the heat. If you hear a scream from Florida direction you will know it is me. You really made my day and I owe you a tremendously big hug. Now I need to learn more about growing the hots and deciding which ones I like and then working on crossing those. Who knows what I will develop and more than likely will end up writing a cookbook utilizing hot peppers. Thanks, Linda

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Linda - glad to hear you liked it. And let me know how that powder on the tongue goes...John

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tried the brain strain powder on my tongue and it was a breath-taker but I learned the secret of not inhaling while swallowing and things settled down fairly well. I think it will become a regular in my cooking though a little will go a long way but since I use no salt and pepper is one of my main seasonings on everything it will not last long. Thank you and my tongue survived. I did not even blink or make a face. I was trying hard not to inhale.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Well... you're pretty tough for a chick then Linda

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I don't this one has anything to do with capsaicin effect(LOL). There are a lot of nice pepper persons in this forum. In addition to being knowledgeable they are also very helpful and generous in giving. This is my number one hang out place on GW. I enjoy reading and learning.
    Thank you !

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seysonn, you are correct and I am learning a lot fast. I like this forum and out of all the forums I am a part of this is the best. People are very knowledgeable here and I have a lot to learn. I am glad you pointed that out so I can say thank you for not only seeds but assistance in growing them and utilzing them.

John, I had two older (15 and 17 years older) brothers and whatever they could do I had to be able to do and do it better so I am accustomed to eating hot, sour, etc and not making faces if possible. I also like Thai food and the local Thai owner and cook gives me some of the special hot sauce on my food that they keep in a jar behind the register for special guests who like it hot. That is where I learned not to inhale while swallowing extremely hot food. I used some of the powder in the dish I prepared tonight and my room-mate did not need his car to get back to work as he flew out the door with flames coming from you know where and he was whimpering. I just sat there trying hard not to laugh as he danced in the road before coming back in and asking if I was trying to kill him. I told him no that I was only trying to light a fire under him so he could get his chores done. He shut up and went back to eating along with drinking almost two liters of beverage. I thought it was fairly mild. Can't wait to try the other one though I think my tongue may not survive this tasting.

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

John, tried the brain strain powder in my grits and boy did they have a kick but it gave them flavor and opened up my sinus cavities and nose. Now If I had made some sausage with the powder in them I would have been in business. The irony is that I have been told that I have sensitive taste buds and could be a wine taster. Therefore when I taste peppers the heat is hot but I can still taste the flavor of the fruit and describe what it tastes like. It is a gift and a curse because boy food tastes so good.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

You know, you may not be human.

Jes' sayin'....

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Dennis - you got that right. The red powder mix i sent her was mostly Reapers, Butch T, Douglah, Brain and Moruga. With a few Bhuts. Its enough to make anyone run for the milk if you use very much

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

so Linda, what varieties have you received so far? I still intended to send seeds out to you soon.

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dennis, thanks for the seeds I got and youa re special. Maybe I am an alien who knows?

John, I got the courage to try the scorpion reaper mix and when can you send more because I will use it up in a week or so. Tried it on the tongue and felt heat, nose running but not a strong burn. Was so good I actually took a good amount on my tongue and once again felt heat,taste d the peppers, nose ran like crazy but otherwise no problem. Mouth returned to normal in a few minutes. Ted witnessed the event and then he tasted the mayo/tarter sauce I made with it and he liked it but he had to have something to drink afterwards. What a whinp. I can not wait until spring when the real peppers are ready so I can taste them raw. Life is good.

Dennis and John, are you two ready for a pepper contest to see who can eat the hottest ones of the plant? Let me know and you guys have started something because I have learned the medicinal benefits of eating the hot pepper including cleaning out your arteries. Love those pepper and love you for sending them.

Judo, I will send you a list of what I have received via email and you can see if there are more peppers to acquire. Thanks for offering.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Uhh ... NO. No contests for this puppy. I enjoy the hotties, possibly more than your average grower. But competing with my own tongue is quite enough, thank you very much.

As to your own .. capabilities.. I'm starting to wonder whether you might have a mutation that results in a lack of capsaicin receptors. E.g. birds don't have any and function very well. Did you get a gene splice from a bird, perchance?

Very suspicious. :-/

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

No contests here baby. I know how big my balls are....i have a shaker of that on my table and one in my lunch and dump it on almost everything and it still hurts me, but thats why i eat it i like the pain. there are 2 possibilities here. 1 - you are exagerating to be cool. Which no one really does here. Or 2 - like Dennis said, maybe you were cross breed with a bird. Please post a pic so we can see if you have a beak..lol

• scents_from_heaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some have called me a bird brain but I do not have a large beak. I just love hot peppers and have conditioned myself throughout my life to eat hot stuff and sour sfuff like lemons and not react or make faces. I have won many bets by doing this and even several free meals. I love the burn but I do not experience pain but then I have a very high pain threshold. The doctors say they have never seen someone who can tolerate the things I go through thru without a lot of pain meds, etc. I took 3 pain pills after my recent surgery and finally relied on an ice bag to take care of the pain since the pills were not strong enough to control the pain in the first place. They made me hyper instead so I just stopped taking them. He wrote the prescription for 40 with one refill as he felt I would need that many. It is hydrocodone 7.5/350 which is one of the highest amount you can get. Three pills and then nothing but ice. Maybe that is why I can tolerate the peppers due to my high pain threshold. I kust know I like them and I like John's blend.

John, you may be right on the powder vs fresh but you have to be careful to keep the esential oils. I make extract the esential oils and make a cooking oil with them. We will see what next year brings. I really a human but I am also a tall and large person. We shall see.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County