Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irlandes

Chile del monte

irlandes
13 years ago

I had a chili a few years ago that my friend's mom sent him from the Rio Grand Valley. He called it a Chili del Monte and said it grew on a bush. It was about a 1/2 and inch to an inch. It was very spicy and a bit thin and long. Does anyone know of this chili. It was not a peqien.

Comments (8)

• smokemaster_2007
    13 years ago

Only thing I can find is a Pequin:link below.

Not all pequins look like that pic.Here is an un named one with 1 inch pods in a small pot (8in.X8in.+/-)

{{gwi:1228234}}

or did it have this shape pods

{{gwi:1228276}}

or this

{{gwi:1206325}}

Maybe you are looking for another variety - type of bird pepper?
    Was it a wild chile?

Here is a link that might be useful: Chile cel Monte

• reyna1
    13 years ago

The problem with the pepper that he sent you is that "chile del monte" just means that he didn't grow it from commercial seed. "Chile del Monte" just means "wild chile". That doesn't mean a bird couldn't have dispersed a tabasco seed from someone's garden from the year before.

Normally wild chiles in south Texas are the chiltepin. The round peppers like this
    {{gwi:1240936}}

If you have a picture you could post, it would make identification alot easier. I personally have never seen any chile del monte from Texas as being any other than either a pequin or a chiltepin (tepin of some sort).

I hope that helps you a bit.
    Danny

• willardb3
    13 years ago

Actually, chile del monte means mountain chile in Spanish and sounds like a made-up name.

There are lots and lots of piquins that fit your description.

• mrhappy
    13 years ago

What I have known as chile del monte was slightly larger than chiltepin but cone shaped and pendant rather than erect. Sorry - no pics.

• Pedro_perez431_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I live in south Texas. The word we use for the woods around here is Monte. And as far as I can see there are no mountains around here. It's not made up, I guess you could say it's a slang term or something. As for the chile, it's hot and small like all the photos above. They seem hotter when they grow wild.

• HU-573758803
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Yes, I Know What a Chili Del Monte is. I Have One Plant Growing in My Back Yard. My Brother Domingo Lopez, Senor Lives in Corpus Christi, Texas and Has Like 7 or 8 Chili /del Monte Plants. there is Where I Got Mine. Some Chilis Are Little Balls Like Peas. Chili Means Pepper and Del Monte Means From the Forest. These Chilis Are Are Very Spicy Hot, Hot. These Chilis Grow Wild in the Forest. They Are The Hottest Ones. But, You Can Dig Them Out and Replant in Your /back Yard. Plant Them in The Sun and Water Them Like Once a /Week. They Can Also Be Planted Where There is Sun and Shade. You Can Also Let The Chilis Get Red and /Dry and Plant The Seeds. Make You Don't Plant Them Too Deep, Just Cover Them With a Little Bit of Dirt. and Sprincle Water on Them. My Name is Israel Lopez and My /e-mail Address is - djtejanorushusa@gmail.com

• HU-571130502
    23 days ago

I have a plant like that

chile del monte from New mexico plant it looks like an acorn avout 2/3times bigger than pegin

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider