Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chile del monte

Posted by irlandes (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 19, 10 at 18:31

I had a chili a few years ago that my friend's mom sent him from the Rio Grand Valley. He called it a Chili del Monte and said it grew on a bush. It was about a 1/2 and inch to an inch. It was very spicy and a bit thin and long. Does anyone know of this chili. It was not a peqien.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chile del monte

Only thing I can find is a Pequin:link below.

Not all pequins look like that pic.Here is an un named one with 1 inch pods in a small pot (8in.X8in.+/-)

or did it have this shape pods

or this

Maybe you are looking for another variety - type of bird pepper?
Was it a wild chile?

Here is a link that might be useful: Chile cel Monte

o

The problem with the pepper that he sent you is that "chile del monte" just means that he didn't grow it from commercial seed. "Chile del Monte" just means "wild chile". That doesn't mean a bird couldn't have dispersed a tabasco seed from someone's garden from the year before.

Normally wild chiles in south Texas are the chiltepin. The round peppers like this

If you have a picture you could post, it would make identification alot easier. I personally have never seen any chile del monte from Texas as being any other than either a pequin or a chiltepin (tepin of some sort).

I hope that helps you a bit.
Danny

o

Actually, chile del monte means mountain chile in Spanish and sounds like a made-up name.

There are lots and lots of piquins that fit your description.

o

What I have known as chile del monte was slightly larger than chiltepin but cone shaped and pendant rather than erect. Sorry - no pics.

o

I live in south Texas. The word we use for the woods around here is Monte. And as far as I can see there are no mountains around here. It's not made up, I guess you could say it's a slang term or something. As for the chile, it's hot and small like all the photos above. They seem hotter when they grow wild.

o

The names used on these plants are so confusing... here is a snipit from chilipequin.com (link provided below)

They are referred to as, pequins, petins, piquins, tepins, chile del monte (wild peppers), bird peppers and so on.
The three names that are most often used when referring to them are, Chile Del Monte (wild peppers), Chile Pequin and Chile Tepin.

according to wikipedia "Pequin peppers" are very hot, often 13-40 times hotter than jalapenos and chili del monte are very mild. (search wikipedia for "Pequin peppers")

Here is a link that might be useful: chilipequin.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here