Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Seed saving for purple peppers

ruthz
10 years ago

I just want to verify that purple jalapeno will be red when ripe and purple Marconi will still be purple.

Comments (4)

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, so I saved some seed from Purple Marconi, but the purple jalapeno are not going to make it to red before frost.

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

Several things will matter.

The only ripe purple pepper that I know of that ripens purple in nature is Piment De Nyde(C.Chinense).

Most other purple peppers seem to be either hybrids or developed and the seeds might not grow true.

I guess it boils down to stability of the pepper variety.

From what I've read,purple marconi is red when ripe.
    IF you wait long enough.

I've found A LOT of different colored peppers called White,Brown/Chocolate.purple .Yellow or most any other color to turn red after letting the pods stay on the plant after they turn the color they are sold as.
    SOME take a long time to turn the color they are sold as,so nobody waits past that time...too see what they REALLY grew.

I find red VERY hard to breed out of pepper plants in general.
    A good example is the Trinidad Douglah varieties/so called strains(C.Chinense).
    Most I've grown turn red if left on the plant long enough-sold as ANY color in general..
    Now they sell RED Douglahs like they are a different strain or something.

My opinion is to not pick 1 pod and let it ripen on the plant past what you think is ripe.

I'd guess/bet, in most cases they turn red.

The wrench in the works is seeds from unripe pods CAN be viable-expecially with Jalapenos and Serrano and a lot of other Peppers.,along with a ton of other varieties.

http://www.localharvest.org/purple-marconi-sweet-pepper-plant-C16103

I can't find ANY info on if the Purple Marconi is a Hybrid,developed/Stable pepper or whatever.
    50% + of the info I see says red is ripe.

Selling different colors of fruit is big $, Most stuff I'd think were grown for color #1 , then taste #2.
    Then if they go for the trifecta - Color,Taste AND productivity.

Red isn't the best tasting stage for several peppers.
    Lots of countries eat mostly green staged peppers.
    A LOT of the Cayenne types are eaten green in a LOT of countries.
    Same with a lot of other varieties throughout the world.

Then you get the same pepper eaten in ALL stages depending on what you are cooking them with.

It depends on the flavour profile of the dish,other tastes the pepper has to combine with.
    The tons of Indian and S. American dishes attests to this.
    Lots of green to smoke dry Poblanos in Mexico,curries in India,Oriental dishes too.

Lots of peppers can go both ways.
    Some loose taste past a certain stage.Others are sweetest or best fully ripe.

I guess I wrote more than was asked...
    Maybe would be cool for another post/discussion...

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Marconi

This post was edited by smokemaster_2007 on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 19:13

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you smokemaster.
    That's the info I needed.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Smoke, my Douglahs don't turn red. I have overlooked some before and have found them half dried out still brown. Don't pick on the Douglah you know its my favorite. Email me when you have time. I have a bunch of seed to send you back. Just waiting for more Reapers, will be picking about 80 ripe ones this weekend. John43945

Sponsored