Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtight

seed swap (one thread only)

jtight
10 years ago

Multiple threads on seed swapping etc�

Did we ever come to a conclusion if there is going to be a "winter" version seed swap or are we just going to swap amongst ourselves? Based on the multiple threads a/ comments w/in other threads the desire seems to be present. Just asking for clarity a/ direction.

If we want a group version, let's try a/ hash out some details. Would really appreciate the input of the experts on this.

Comments (34)

• naturemitch
    10 years ago

Thanks for asking jtight. I was wondering the same myself. I have been holding tight for a large seed swap, but am beginning to think I will just post on the exchange page. I have about 10-12 varieties to share, and would be interested in participating.

Thanks!

• spacetogrow
    10 years ago

highalttransplant has hosted the pepper swap on the Round Robin Exchange sometime between January and March for the last few years.

I don't know what her plans are for this winter. I have participated in her swap for the last two years and enjoyed the considerable results.

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Space - can/would you reach out to highalt a/ see if anything ongoing a/or planned?

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

I think Heather's is early December and Bonnie's was mid January last year. I would assume they are planning on doing it again. I hope so anyway, everyone enjoys it. John

• hillseeker
    10 years ago

I was looking to arrange one but just don't have the ability this year. I am interested in a large seed swap or swapping with individuals. I will be posting my list tonight.

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

I sent Heather an email about 1 1/2 weeks ago and haven't heard from her. I'll send another today. I will also reach out to Bonnie to see what her plans are.

I've participated in both their swaps for a number of years and both are great.

Sandy

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tk you Sandy

• thundertoe
    10 years ago

I'm pretty new to growing and new to this forum as well, and I don't have any seeds to trade, but I would love to participate.

Are noobs allowed to join in?

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

As long as I've been coming to GW, like Scorpion john said, there's been a couple of major swaps involving Heather and Bonnie. One is a xmas swap and the other is later in winter(which, IMO, should be a bit sooner since most people should start peppers indoors in January or so to maximize the growing season).

I think there's even been a tomato and pepper swap also.

Yes. Noobs are welcome.

Kevin

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Edit: double post

This post was edited by woohooman on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 11:36

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Heather's is the one that includes tomatoes

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well hopefully there will be something posted on these swaps soon. I am wanting to get the yellow fatalii for 2014

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Jtight, i have lots of fatali seed. And many more kinds. Email me. John

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

scorp - email sent

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

> " I am wanting to get the yellow fatalii for 2014"

You can let Bonnie Plants start it for you. The "World's Hottest Habanero" that they sell in box stores is actually the fatalii. Damn fine plant too.

Dennis

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone have any Chocolate Scorpion they would be interested in letting go of?

• hillseeker
    10 years ago

Is a 7 Pot Douglah similar to a chocolate scorpion or totally different? I am interested in chocolate scorpion seeds too. Jtight I have a few things you may be interested in...

• spacetogrow
    10 years ago

I got a response to my PM to highalttransplant/Bonnie. She said she is much busier this year and doesn't yet know if she will be able to find the time to host the pepper swap.

She said that, even if she can make the time, it won't be until after January 1.

If anyone is itching to host a good-sized pepper swap, you might connect with her as a person with a great deal of experience and skill, to give you good counsel.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Well that sucks, i just bagged up 250 packs of seed to donate to the swaps as i was putting this years seed away. John

• lexxluthor
    10 years ago

Scorpion_john it looks like you have enough seeds for a small army!

• lexxluthor
    10 years ago

I would be intrested in joining the Holiday swap it seems very interesting.

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Sounds like what we need is for one brave soul to step forward and volunteer to host a swap. Anyone interested?

This post was edited by maple_grove on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 12:57

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll volunteer to orchestrate the seed swap w/ the understanding that I am new at this so it may not be super smooth; however, will do our best to be successful.

It would have to be something that we can administrate in ~ 4 wk (total) timeframe. Two (2) weeks to get seeds a/ info in, one (1) week for me to sort it all out, and one (1) week to get mailed back out. Timing wise:
    11/20-12/4 to get them to me
    12/4-12/11 for me to sort this out
    12/11-12/8 to get mailed out

I am going to create a separate thread for you to Yes/No if you want to have this. In said thread, I only want a Yes/No response.

We can have a separate "pow-wow" with those that have participated in this previously to make sure we have accounted for key elements. I would like to have this in next 2 days.

Thoughts?

• gardendrivenlife
    10 years ago

scorpionjohn,
    Break them open in case of emergency hot fix. LOL

Gary

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

> "Is a 7 Pot Douglah similar to a chocolate scorpion or totally different?"

My Douglahs look nothing like my Scorpions so I presume there would be a difference. Yet given how few "colored" varieties seem to be stable, I'd say it's a crapshoot.

Dennis

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

jtight, that's quite an aggressive schedule. You will need more time to accept contributions. I wouldn't set Christmas as a "deliver by" date. Hope for it, but don't get expectations up.

Recommend that you find Heather's (and Bonnie's) threads from last year's swaps to get their published "rules" and intros. The rules give a really good idea about how the swap works from the POV of the customer. The unknown bit then would be how the swap works internally, collating customer wish lists with what is contributed. You could muddle through that bit, yet so long as the external bit were well defined everyone would comment on how slick and well done the whole thing was.

If you decide to do it, then Good Luck and may the pepper gods smile down on you.

Dennis

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure who Bonnie a/or Heather are to look them up. If anyone has a link to the last swap thread (i.e., details, rules, etc.) pls send to me so we can review a/ distribute to those wanting to participate.

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure who Bonnie a/or Heather are to look them up. If anyone has a link to the last swap thread (i.e., details, rules, etc.) pls send to me so we can review a/ distribute to those wanting to participate.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

I don't understand the obbsesion with a swap this year. But everyone seemed to wanna trade really early this year too. I don't want to discourage anyone. But i look at the swaps as a way to share, not aquire next years seed because it all depends on what people send in. I have gotten some great stuff from the swaps. But i join expecting nothing. If you know what you want i would recommend going to member pages and search for it on peoples trade lists. There is alot more involved in a swap than you realize.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

If you decide to do it i will join in. But you need to talk to people and get advice in planning it out. I would be very specific with the directions for mailing seed in so people know what needs to be done. I have recieved trades this year that were not in bubble wrap and half were smashed by the sorting machines and trades that had postage due on them. You can't just stick a couple stamps on an envelope and drop them in the mail. I take everything to the post office. In the states, i beleive its 92 cents if they decide it fits through their little gauge ok. Most of them don't even try and charge you for a parcel. $2.07 If its going to Canada, the last one i mailed was $5.95. Like i said, there is gonna be alot of things you might not think of. And you will need to be specific for the people that don't know. Like Dennis said your schedule is to rushed. You need totake a few days and talk to people and get things planned out don't try and rush it and end up making things harder for yourself. If you have any questions, email me, i don't know how much help i will be. But i was in both swaps know how they worked. Good Luck. John

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2013 Seed Swap Info located under thread called, "Holiday Seed Swap 2013."

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Hey if you stuff the envelope with enough packets they act like bubble wrap.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Dennis, not debating your idea, you are probally right. But i would have never posted that i get some crazy stuff in the mail. I always take mine in to the post office and let them do the postage so its not returned or recieved with postage due on it. I have gotten a number of trades that i had to go pick up with postage due on them. No big deal, just a waste of peoples time. And i always use the bubble envelopes to be safe. I have gotten seeds in a couple layers of papper towels. That seemed to work fine if its only a pack or 2. Of course its only an extra 20 cents to add non-machinable. But that don't mean it doesn't get overlooked sometimes. I have gotten stuff clearly marked non-machine or hand sort with seed dust cause they were processed with the machines anyway. To me its not worth taking a chance and incoviencing people, i use the same thing for 1-50 packs and if it starts to get too full i go to the small flat rate box. The boxes are nice anyway, i don't know why we don't trade pods instead of seeds. I have offered but no-one has ever taken me up on it. I was suprised, for a couple bucks extra you could try it then save your own seed from it

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pod swap sounds intriguing. Perhaps we can discuss in separate thread.