o
oh the weather outside is frightful but the fire is so delightful

Posted by don555 3a (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 19:10

Here's the weather, yah, that's Zone 3 for you...:
Photobucket

Here's the fire:
Photobucket

I'm not entirely sure what this is, I grew it from seed from Esox07 (Bruce), originally from Pepper Joe, that there was some controversy about. I think it was finally called "some kind of Naga". Anyway, have 3 plants of it growing under lights, started them July 15 to get an early start for winter, 2 peppers now turned red. That seems fast to me -- under 4 months from planted seed to ripe fruit.

They don't set fruit particularly well though, and rarely do their stamens release pollen so I've been pollinating them with some other pepper that I also have 3 plants of under lights, planted about a month later. So the Naga fruit will have hybrid seeds, except for possibly a few I've pollinated with Naga pollen and then isolated (not sure they will take yet).

Here's a couple pics of my pollinator pepper, which sets pollen very nicely under lights. I'm not sure what it is, I collected the seeds this fall from a plant in my garden that I bought at a garden centre and was mislabelled "long hot cayenne". They seem to grow true from seed, as all 3 plants look the same as the parent.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oh the weather outside is frightful but the fire is so deligh

Nice.

o

yikes! I was surprised when I read the "S word" in our forecast for tonight / tomorrow morning (no accumulation). Mid 70's yesterday and high in the 30's tomorrow!

The peppers do look nice and warm, though!

o

Fantastic, Don!

Yesterday, I was at a friend's house working a fire-pit...and we enjoyed about forty minutes
of snow as a big black cloud crawled over us. It all melted swiftly, however, and the fire roared on!

o

that fire is delightful

o

It doesn't show signs of stopping,
And I've got some pods on plants inside a popping,
The lights are turned way up HIGH,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

o

Looking like a very early winter here, perhaps the earliest I can recall. Warm to mid-October, then snow and cold came suddenly, Halloween was white. Early November mild spell melted most of the snow in the sun but not in the shade, then had 8"-10" of fresh snow on Nov. 7, little melting since then. More snow expected tomorrow. Looks like it is here until late March or early April now. Oh well, Christmas lights are up and look good against the snow. And hot peppers indoors are doing well. Time to start planning next year's outdoor garden...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here