Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elbourne_gw

Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain Hot Sauce

Elbourne
9 years ago

I have a good harvest of 7 Pot Brain Strain Yellows. I think I am going to cook up some hot sauce. Since these are "super hots" I think I'll cut it with the sweetness of pineapples, onions, and garlic. The color of the pineapples along with a little turmeric will keep the yellow theme going.

I have to admit, I've never made hot sauce before. Any tips? I was thinking of cooking down the chopped onions and garlic, then throwing them in a blender with the peppers and a can of pineapples, including the juice. Maybe adding a little fish sauce to add saltiness to the sweet and spicy. Then, taste that and see if I should add some cider vinegar.

If this gives me a watery mess, I could cook it down some or run it through a strainer and have a liquid version as well as a chunky blend.

I'll post my results. In the meantime, I'd love to hear what others have done.

Comments (10)

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Sounds great! I recently read an article where salt actually makes pineapple taste sweeter. It cancels out any bitterness in the pineapple.

Here's a recipe similar to what you're doing. I like to add a chunk of fresh ginger grated fine...

Pineapple Habanero Sauce

Ingredients:
    4 cups sugar
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 cup pineapple juice
    3 Tbsp lemon juice
    3 Tbsp cornstarch (mixed with a bit of water to create slurry)
    1 medium to large pineapple, roasted, finely chopped
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 red pepper, finely chopped
    1 yellow pepper, finely chopped
    1 mango, finely chopped
    5-6 habanero peppers, roasted, finely chopped

Create a simple syrup in a large pot by whisking the sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice and lemon juice over medium high heat until the sugar dissolves. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit while you prep the remaining ingredients.

Roast the pineapple and habaneros. (bell peppers and onion optional)
    Make sure the habaneros are super finely chopped.

Next, finely chop all fruit, peppers and onion into 1/4" pieces (or smaller). Stir the remaining ingredients into the simple syrup you prepared earlier. Stir in the cornstarch (mixing with a few tablespoons of water first to create a slurry). Bring the mixture to a boil and the turn down the heat to simmer for 5-10 minutes. The consistency should be syrupy and chunky.

This recipe makes 4-5 pints of sauce. The sauce may be canned using a water bath for 15 minutes. Or placed in jars and frozen. Sauce should remain fresh in the fridge for approximately 2-3 weeks (if it lasts that long).

This post was edited by mecdave on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 20:21

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

oh I could have a field day on this thread. first thing's first, are you looking for a shelf stable product or something that will go in the fridge? if it's going in the fridge then the sky is the limit for what you can do with this sauce.

I personally wouldn't use fish sauce, but that's just me. I'd probably lean toward a low sodium teriyaki, but that's just personal preference.

I would certainly add garlic to the mix too, it helps bring out other flavors. in fact I'd add lots of garlic.

pineapple is a good call, if you're looking for a shelf stable product you will certainly need some form of acid ingredient. for a yellow 7 based sauce I personally would not use apple cider vinegar, I'd either go regular white, white wine, or rice vinegar. lemon or lime juice is also an option.

spice wise, if I were making it I'd add a tiny bit of cumin, loads of black pepper (I;d go finely ground for the sake of color, or white pepper if it's available), ginger, a tiny little bit of finely ground celery seed (a very extremely almost nonexistently tiny amount, it will overpower the recipe really fast but adds a nice dimension to the flavor if used very sparingly), and a tiny bit of curry powder.

I told you I'd have a field day on this one.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Made a batch of Ghostanero sauce a few days ago. The Numex Suave habs are just as yellow as your Brain Strains, so I don't think you'll need turmeric. Carrot gives it a richer color too. This is not a super-duper hot sauce. About 5-6 on my scale of 10.
    Ghostanero Sauce:
    2-cups rough chopped Numex habs
    1-cup rough chopped red Bhuts
    2/3 cup chopped garlic
    1-1/2 cups grated carrot
    2-cups Bitter Orange
    1-cup water
    3 tsp. table salt
    1-tbsp. sugar
    1/4 tsp. Xanthan gum dissolved in 2 tbsp. cold water
    Put everything in a sauce pan except the Xanthan gum/water mixture, and bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for ten minutes. Let cool completely. Dump in blender and process for 2 minutes. Taste for seasoning, If it's OK, add the Xanthan gum mixture and process for 30 seconds. Put in a bowl and let it sit out for one hour for bubbles to escape. Jar and refrigerate. Lasts for weeks in the 'fridge.

• Elbourne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just ate one. Yes, they are hot.

• Elbourne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the great input. I will take some of these suggestions as I make the hot sauce tomorrow.

• Elbourne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I made some hot sauce today. This is what I came up with:

4 Cups Fresh chopped pineapple
    2 Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain Peppers
    1/2 cup minced garlic
    1 Cup White Vinegar
    1 Cup Homebrew Hefeweizen
    1 Cup Sugar
    2 Tbs Lemon juice
    1tsp Turmeric
    2 tsp Cuminn
    2 tsp salt

I put everything in the blender, blended it down to liquid, and then simmered it over medium heat for about 20 minutes.

------------
    I first put in the pineapple and the 2 peppers. It was so hot I decided not to add more peppers. I wanted other people to enjoy it too. But after adding all the other ingredients and simmering it, the heat died down. So, I probably should have added a few more, but this is what I have for now.

I'm not sure how I'm going to use all this. lol

We are roasting 1/2 a wild hog next weekend for a big cook out, so this may become the marinade.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

is that a fridge based sauce, or is it intended to be shelf stable?

if it were me I'd have used about a half tsp of cumin, not 2 tsp. but that's just me.

• Elbourne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm putting it in the refrigerator.

I'd like to make a shelf safe variety. I'm searching the internet and reading now on how to do that. I still have a lot of peppers I need to use. :)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Your recipe should be within safe range of acidity ( Pineapple is pretty acidic with pH of under 4. So by adding 1 cup of vinegar to 4 cups of pineapple its pH should go down way under 3.5, far exceeding safety requirement. On top of that you have also lemon juice and sugar (which also acts as preservative, along with the sugar in pineapple)

But that (acidity alone) is not enough. You have to bring the mash into boiling temp (In BWB) and keep it there for about 15mins.(Rough number) if hot packed/filled. So what this does to ensure that any possible bacteria are destroyed. Even if few survives won't be able to function in acidic environment to produce any harmful spores.

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    9 years ago

How about a fermented sauce?

I am working on some with scotch bonnets and some red poblano, but have only hoarded mash so far.

I usually like a Trini, or maybe a Bajan style with mustard and papaya.