Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scorpion_john

Drying seeds

scorpion_john
9 years ago

I know everyone air drys seed. Does anyone use a dehydrator ? What temp. do you guys think would be safe for drying seed?

Comments (20)

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Pop them on a plate or paper towel and then let them sit acouple three weeks.
    If your in a rush to germ/plant then do so right after harvesting from the pods

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tnks,

i have always air dried. i was just wondering if anyone uses a dehydrator and what temp. would be safe. i would think 90 - 100 should be safe, but wanted to gather some opinions. i have a ton of seed drying and would like to get started on putting some of it away if it would be safe.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

John, off topic as heck, but what kind of results did you get canning pepper mash last year?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I used a dehydrator this year for the first time in drying seeds. I kept them at 100 or lower. I figured that in nature, the seeds would likely experience temps that high so they would not be harmed by that kind of heat in a dehydrator. I have also seen several other posts where list members have used the dehydrator to dry seeds. It cuts the time from days/weeks to hours.
    Bruce

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Pepper seed are very easy to dry. As Bruce has mentioned somewhere else, just carve the placenta with seeds on it. Then a few days later separate them from placenta and give them few more days on paper towel. I don't see a need for dehydrator.

Seysonn

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

John: Never done it myself but I'd say 100 would be fine. I'd test germinate a 1st batch though. Wouldn't want to do all of them just to find out you don't have any viable seeds to work with come January.

Kevin

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I also believe that 100F is pretty safe. It is very close to our body temperature. If you sun dry somewhere in Mexico, I bet it will be warmer than 100F.
    Having said that, testing is the best bet to find out, as Kevin suggested. I bought a bag of KASHMIRI pods from an Indian store the other day. I am test germinating a few seeds, not knowing how the pods were dried in India. So I would say: EXPERIMENT !

• lexxluthor
    9 years ago

John.... Done both plate and paper towel and the seeds from the bottom after being dehydrated. Just for luck I tried to see if the dehydrated seeds would germinate. 5 of the 8 did. I save those as a mixed bag and are my mystery plants of the season.

Lexx

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. I have always air dried, but this year i'm running late. Just got a killing frost last weekend. wanted to hurry things along so i can gett started bagging some of them. Just out of curiosity, how long does everyone air dry before putting them in plastic bags? I over-do everything, i have always went 3-4 weeks before putting them away. I realize that probally over cautious.

Jason,

Mash did great. in fact, i sent some to Smokemaster and he even commented on how much he liked it

• gardendrivenlife
    9 years ago

That's a crazy amount of seeds you have! How many plants/varieties?

btw; I have gone as little as a week air drying.I also dehydrate at 95 with halved pods, put them in a baggie, and the seeds just fall out.I would agree those aren't cooked at 100.

Gary

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yah, that is a crazy amount of varieties there. All I can think of is: What if someone bumps the table or something drops on them and they spill all over?

Bruce

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gary, around 700 plants. as far as vatietys, i haven't figured that out yet. A few types didn't make it, some types i grew from multiple sources and kept seperate. Around 120 types this year

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    9 years ago

its a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood on sawhorses in a safe location Bruce, but yea that would be a mess. thats one of the reasons i bought plastic bowls instead of using styrofoam. styrofoam gets knocked over to easy

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Hmmmm, Scorpion, I just realized that for some reason, my email proggy is sending all of your posts to spam when you post to threads that I am subscribed to.
    Bruce

• TNKS
    9 years ago

with obvious open pollination it wouldnt really matter how you dried the seeds.
    1 week is dry enough for bagging if your above freezing ambient temps

9 years ago

John: All depends on variety on how long. Certain varieties, like bells and Anaheims, I pull all the flesh away but leave the stem and placenta with all the seeds attached. Then, I air dry in a shallow bowl for a week or 2. After that, I dislodge all the seeds into the bowl and let them air dry another week. it's probably overkill but I'm in no hurry and, unlike you, I only grow a dozen or so varieties each year. With superhots, i just split in half, let dry a week or so, dislodge seeds, and another week or so.

Regarding the pic--- somebody alert pepperjoe, john stole all of his seeds. :P

Kevin

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kevin, Not PepperJoe's stash... They are all labeled correctly.. lol. Although i am sure some will be crossed. All were O.P. but they were spread out between 3 properties. mine, my parents, and a friend of mine owns a farm. so i tried to spread them out a little. This past season, all O.P seed from trades and myself, i had 3 percent of my plants end up being crosses

9 years ago

"They are all labeled correctly."

Ouch! LMAO

That's not too bad-- just 3%. Is that number just based on pod SHAPE or do you consider other factors such as heat, flavor, etc?

This year, I went out of my way and had a roomie sew me up some isolation bags. Wasn't successful on ALL plants though -- some i would bag and not a single bud fruited. Kinda frustrating to wait 2-3 months for a bag full of aborted blossoms. :(

Kevin

• obchili
    9 years ago

Ahhh, ahhhhh, ahhhhhhh, CHOOOOO!

Wow, what a spread you got there. Makes my little sandwich bag look pathetic! Awesome job you did.

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kevin, thats based on everything and as much information as i can find on new ones. i may try bagging stuff next year. I always plan on doing it, i just never end up finding the time to do it. John

Sponsored