Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kclost

Carolina Reaper!

kclost
10 years ago

Have any of you ran across it yet? Is it similar to a scorpion or 7 pot (looks like it anyway). I saw an article that the producer in S. Carolina is submitting samples for designation as the hottest.

Comments (94)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bill, I sent you an email. Check it.
    Bruce

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Bill, you didn't tell me u killed them.. i thought they weren't even sprouting.. and couldn't figure out why. I can send them anytime you want just let me know, and Bruce if there is anything on my list you want email me

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Scott, i just know the stuff i heard here and from friends i didn't search for any info. Stuff like that was said here too. But that was before it was released. I took it as people being p*ssed cause of all the hype and claims without proof. The whole thing was handled very poorly, but i would expect nothing less from a man that put his own auto-biography in his catalogs, complete with pictures of him "munching jalopenos". I am with you, i like it, and people have seed now. So its free on this site anyway

Nc-rnc, you commented about rough and smooth pods. Mine were rough earlier in the season and they are still far from smooth but not nearly as rough as they were during the hotter weather. Same plants but a noticable difference.

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow... they are much smaller than expected..

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Ok john. Yeah they are smaller pods. I wonder what affect the size has on testing?

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Kclost - don't worry about the size, unless you're a chick LOL. Just a little smaller than my Butch T's. Altough this year i have gotten some monster Butch T's, Congo's and Yellow Brain. Not sure whats up with that. I'm talking like nearly twice the norm.

Scott - i have about 80 ripe ones to pick and do something with this weekend. I will sample small peices of as many as i can stand and see if i can tell any difference. I doubt it would be noticable to the tast unless it was a huge difference one way or the other.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Caelien, email me your address and i will check on postage. I can't remember where you are from.

• scott123456
    10 years ago

John good luck with that one lol. But when I talked about size vs heat I was referring more to the Guinness scovile testing. From what I understand, the scoville scale is based on how many drops of water it takes to remove all heat. Does anyone know how they get their sample for testing ? Is is heat level per pod? Or do they grind up a certain number of pods and take a specific amount from that? Or do they grind up a specific volume of pods and take a specific amount from that? You get where I'm going here? If it is a per pod rating, then it would stand to reason that a volleyball sized hab could break all records, bigger pod more oil higher rating. On the other hand, if they get their sample from a standard volume of peppers, then in stands to reason that the smaller the pepper the more pods you could fit in that volume thus increasing the heat scale. In this way the scoville scale could be manipulated without changing the actual perceived heat of the pepper. Or maybe I'm missing something all together ?

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

scorpion_john, thank you for your generosity. When I saw your seeds packets for distribution, I was surprised and realized your are a true chili enthusiast. I knew it is easy to remove seeds from the pods but it is very time consuming work. I hate to do it :-).

Thank you again for your contribution in this forum.

Caelian

• ohiojay
    10 years ago

I believe this pepper is as stable as they come. However, as with any of these things, there will be some that do not produce true to type. Shouldn't happen often with these but it does happen. I also don't understand all the haters out there concerning this chili. People on another pepper forum continuously bash the qualities of this pepper. I for one believe they are as hot as advertised. Enough co-workers have been hurt by this pepper to back that up!

What I've learned from Ed himself, and others, is that if your peppers do not look like the ones in Scorpion_john's picture above, then your peppers are not reapers. I question the peppers that esox07 posted in his pics. Many have a scorpion appearance while some are elongated. But most appear smooth instead of the mottled, leprous look of a true reaper. These look exactly like one of my plants that came from reaper seed right from Puckerbutt.

They are some new sport that has resulted. Sometimes these can become cool new peppers. Even pods on the same plant can be different...but on that particular plant, all of those pods will continue as such.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

ohiojay: "I question the peppers that esox07 posted in his pics."
    The seed for that plant was from Pepper Joe. Ed's partner with the Reaper.
    Bruce
    Here is a photo of some ripe pods:

• ohiojay
    10 years ago

Hey Bruce....nice looking pods though for sure. Tough call. Many of them still have a very smooth appearance. There are a few that look to have the more knotty look.

I got 11 seeds from Puckerbutt two years ago and germinated them all. All but one looked to be true reapers. I've included a pic of the pods on this plant. Most actually come off looking more similar to a ghost than even a scorpion.

All of the pods are smooth with none of the knots, pimples, spikes of a true reaper.

Here's a good video on the reaper concerning the oddities.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOlRazgEEt4

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

There's more-than-expected off-type pods coming from people showing up on the internet.

One side claims it's within a statistical safe area.

One side wonders why so many people who happen to have an internet connection strongly skew this safe area because they have pictures and stories statistically pointing to it being outside of that safe area.

There was a discussion about the math and assumptions made in that "The Truth About The Carolina Reaper" video in past thread here (and other boards). Beyond that, what they're seeing in the field in the video isn't matching up with the internet reports from others about off-type pods for some reason...unless a very random chance occurrence of people with internet connections in pepper communities happen to have gotten an unreal amount of the off-type seed.

The fact a video like this even had to be made was/is weird.

A lot of angst comes from the carefully selected peppers sent to reviewers and picture examples that have amazing consistency of perfect types compared to what people are actually seeing when they grow it out...along with continued denial by the people pushing it that there's nothing wrong with it's stability when it looks like that's not the case (and this is before we get into heat variation issues even if it's still a very hot pepper). It's a compounding issue when the people pushing it keep saying "there's nothing wrong, this is normal variation and you got a weird one...it happens" and there's way too many people being told this.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 14:11

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Hmmm, good points. If there is a significant amount of non-pure seed out there, then that could essentially doom this pepper IMO. People will continue to grow the seed out thinking it is pure and continue to spread impure seed around which will eventually dilute the strain so bad that it will be a 50/50 shot in the dark that a given seed will grow true. But then maybe it is just an inherent variation in pod texture and look and doesn't really affect taste or heat. I know I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 1 million and 1.5 million scoville. Maybe some can. I guess time will tell how this pepper strain figures into pepper growing down the road.

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

The marketing and hype around this pepper won't stop it from going all over the place. It's gonna sell and trade. We're a small minority on the internet that care about peppers this much compared to people who simply want to grow hot peppers or get that pepper that's in the news.

The biggest danger myself and some of my breeder friends see in this is a few years from now we're going to see "Carolina Reaper" seed out in the wild that grows out so many different types of pods with so many different taste/heat characteristics that the whole thing will be confusing.

One thing that's piqued the interest/concern of some of my peers/friends is how many new hybrid experiments (some already with new "trade" names being given to them) that are being produced by Ed and shipped out to people and reviewers even if they're not being marketed yet. It's especially alarming given some of his comments in the press about how he breeds peppers and what he expects from them (such as how he developed the Reaper trying to breed a sweet pepper (!!!) or how he knew the Reaper was special because when it grew he had never seen a pepper with a stinger/tail before (!!!))...this is kinda alarming talk to be coming from a breeder.

It's okay to have a Pepper1 x Pepper2 hybrid...it's another thing to give it a unique name and/or push it out in the wild before it's stable. Hopefully, whatever is pushed out next (if anything) will be a lot more stable and predictable.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 14:37

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Scott - i don't remember exactly how. But it has to be the same volume or larger peppers would have an unfair advantage.

Ohiojay - how can you say how stable you think this pepper is, praise mine, question Bruces, then post pics of your own that, in my opinion, look like they have alot more variation than Bruces? Pardon my expression but, if Bruce went to the pimp, and i went straight to the ho, the outcome should still be the same. Then throw Bills in there, what the hell is that? It appears that i have gotten lucky this time. I just picked 73 and they all look like the ones in this photo. Where are you on this Scott? I know you grew a bunch lets see some pics of what you got. I am guessing alot of people grew these this year. Lets see the pics, good and bad, compare and see how stable it is. You can see the difference in shape, so is there differences in taste and heat between them also? I would guess most likely. NC - i agree with you, released too early and lots of bad marketing choices. Bruce - if you think mine are from a better strain of seed than yours, i can send you as many as you need buddy. And Scott, don't get on my sh*t again, cause i'm not putting it down, i like it alot but i still say my Trinidad Douglahs smoke it. LOL Nothing hurts me as bad as the Douglah. Lets see some more pics. John

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

:-) do not be serious.

Is this CR? It is hotter than Scorpion Moruga Blend I have grown.

{{gwi:1241478}}

{{gwi:1241480}}

:-)

Caelian

• ohiojay
    10 years ago

If you would have read my post correctly...I said all but one were true reapers and that I had included a pic of THAT ONE plant. As stable as any plant can be. There will always be variations for one reason or another. All of this has just been my opinion gathered from various sources as well as my own experience. I'm no expert. Far from it. I just enjoy growing them.

Caelian...again...just my opinion here and you can take it as such. Some of the pods in the first pic look like they have some of the characteristic features of the reaper...while others do not.

There is a lot of science behind why this happens and I don't completely understand it all...genotypes, phenotypes, mutations, etc. The following was was explained to me by someone much smarter than myself at this.

A different phenotype means it is a different pepper visually. The seeds got mixed in by mistake or, the cross was not yet stable and there are other seed genotypes expressing their own appearance or phenotype along with the more typical Carolina Reaper. If you have one that looks different, it is different, it is not the CR.

if you set up a plot in the middle of the desert, with no other plants nearby, the genes are a fixed set and the plants will all have an assorted set from this original start point. Like shuffling a deck of cards; no matter how many times you shuffle it, it is the same cards or traits.

In the first years, as the dominance and recessive traits re-assort themselves, the plants all still only have the original genes; nothing new could come in so only mutations can change this set. From this, if one suddenly appears different and no new genes got in, it would have to be a mutation or the expression of a "new" phenotype" that arose when two or more genes from the original set lined up in a way that changed the normal appearance. This would mean the seeds collectively have not settled out with a single look, that there are one or more genes controlling appearance that can from time to time line up in a seed and change the look.

But if it looks different, one can not assume that the things you do not see are not also different. A phenotype is only what you see, it hints at what is inside but it does so only by the balancing act of visual expression of dominance and recessiveness. Killer bees are identical in most ways to regular honey bees but over a short time, i.e. a limited number of generations, the dominant traits suppress the expression of the more recessive traits and the killer bees become progressively more aggressive as this change takes place. But the phenotype shows none of this. All the action is at the genotype level and the more docile bees are getting culled from the gene pool. In a field with no new pepper genes coming in, it is just the original deck of cards.
    So is it stable or not? Did someone mix up some seed? Lots of questions but hundreds of different answers for each.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Ohiojay, thanks, you explained very well. Similar thing happened to me too. Out of 10 seeds (Snow White) one is completely different plant I got.

My plant is not CR it is crossed C.chinense, it has multiple different pod shapes.

Thanks

Caelian

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Scorpion_John: I sent you an email regarding this thread.
    Bruce

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Phenotypes are not the easiest part of the breeding process to stabilize, but it's one of the most important.

Coke doesn't use 5 different fonts for spelling Coca-Cola because it's how you ID the brand.

When there's wide variation in phenotype expression there's usually a bit of genetic variation in the genotype, too.

I've bred a lot of raspberries/blackberries, squash, corn, soy, and peppers. In many of these cases, the phenotypes stabilized before the genotype characteristics. In some cases, especially with the squash and peppers, the phenotypes were a bit more difficult to stabilize. As long as there's variation beyond a point that is influenced by small or random chance, environmental, or growth/nutrient methods influence the plant still needs work for the commercial marketplace.

I've got a couple of peppers, one specifically, that I could release into the wild, but the phenotypes are still so variable that I am not comfortable with the overall genetic package even if the flavor characteristics are mostly stable over the short generations they've been bred and selected. I've had too many breeding "surprises" pop up in both genotype and phenotype characteristics after getting stable plants for 2-3 generations to take it for granted or rush it. Unless you're looking at the plant on genetic expression levels, there's more than a few surprises that can blindside you and when drift starts it can spin out of control in the wild when people start saving/spreading seed.

The last thing I want is to have people growing 2-3-4+ different types of a plant that I've bred and named. Then again, I'm not into the pepper thing for the money and I have no incentive to engage the marketplace in a competitive manner. ...and the other plants I work on (or worked on in the past) must be near-100% in genotype and phenotype because they're for commercial applications where variation beyond a very small amount is unacceptable.

Politics and marketing follies aside for the Reaper, a big issue with complaints has come from all the reviewers and seed sellers all getting the exact same ideal looking pods and people growing it out seeing way more variation than they expected (commonly...long pods, pods without stingers, teardrop/tapered pods vs round pods, pods with sunken bottom "reverse" stingers, smooth vs wrinkled pods...I'll leave the "yellow pod" guy out of this because I've only heard of 1 case of this). More than anything regarding the politics and marketing of the Reaper...especially for those that don't care about such things...this is where many complaints are coming from. I'm hearing/reading a lot more about this than any of the "politics" stuff.

This is before getting into comments about how (though very hot) the heat compares to others out there which are ranging from "this is the hottest" to "well, it's in my top 5." There's also been a few comments on the lack of flavor, though most people report a nice fruity flavor. These aspects are a bit subjective, anyway.

It is getting near universal praise for it's above average pod production, though...no matter the variation in other areas, this seems to be intact across many growers.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 11:41

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Jay - sorry, i was on my phone and read it wrong. I am glad to hear thats your worst plant. All of mine 2 packs from puckerbutt, 21 seeds, 19 germinated and grew just like the advertised pics i have seen. I realize its going to have variations, but the difference between Caelien's and mine seem huge to me anyway. Either way, its a good pepper and i like it. Post a couple good pics Jay

• ohiojay
    10 years ago

No worries dude! It's all good.

As for the heat? Myself and coworkers have all been torn up by this pepper. My last Buffalo chicken damn near killed several of us. First time I've ever had any left to bring home. Pretty stupid really. Everyone agrees that it's a fine tasting pepper...when used with some restraint. I'll never be one of those characters who eat an entire chili for the sake of eating one. Can't do it. Won't do it.

Here are some pics of the plants. They're all tucked away in the greenhouse for the winter but still producing like mad. I'm getting some really huge reapers...as well as some really tiny ones which are probably a result of the greenhouse environment. The plants have also been pruned way way back.

The first two pics are of the "not so reaper" plant and pod. Plant on the left in that first pic is a Butch T. May not be a reaper but it certainly puts out a ton of pods...and they are blistering hot too. Just not as cool looking.

Here's my reaper...again...cut way back for winter.

Picked all the current red ones to bring in to work tomorrow. Notice the really tiny ones? I didn't get anything like these over the summer.

Now here are some beasts. I used like 8 the size of these for my last batch of Buffalo chicken. Still makes me cramp up to think about it.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Gonna have to refinish that table as those peppers are likely to have blistered the finish.
    Bruce

• ohiojay
    10 years ago

No worries dude! It's all good.

As for the heat? Myself and coworkers have all been torn up by this pepper. My last Buffalo chicken damn near killed several of us. First time I've ever had any left to bring home. Pretty stupid really. Everyone agrees that it's a fine tasting pepper...when used with some restraint. I'll never be one of those characters who eat an entire chili for the sake of eating one. Can't do it. Won't do it.

Here are some pics of the plants. They're all tucked away in the greenhouse for the winter but still producing like mad. I'm getting some really huge reapers...as well as some really tiny ones which are probably a result of the greenhouse environment. The plants have also been pruned way way back.

The first two pics are of the "not so reaper" plant and pod. Plant on the left in that first pic is a Butch T. May not be a reaper but it certainly puts out a ton of pods...and they are blistering hot too. Just not as cool looking.

Here's my reaper...again...cut way back for winter.

Picked all the current red ones to bring in to work tomorrow. Notice the really tiny ones? I didn't get anything like these over the summer.

Now here are some beasts. I used like 8 the size of these for my last batch of Buffalo chicken. Still makes me cramp up to think about it.

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love this thread... awesome pics btw... I have my seeds on order from pepperjoe, we will see what happens...

• scott123456
    10 years ago

John, I wasn’t trying to get on anyone’s $h!t lol. I was just curious and now I know. I to had pod variation but it was mostly noticeable from plant to plant, not on the same plant. I am wondering how much is nature and how much is nurture? The two plants I had in the largest pots showed the most variation (long pods, inverted stingers ect.). Also, the phenotype and genotype conversation is interesting. If the CR consistently has the same genotype but expresses different genes does that make it an unstable pepper? My other thought is that this is a new pepper of course there is going to be genetic variation. A typical hab has been around for 8,000 plus years all the genetic variation has been bred out of it. I bet you 8,000 years ago all habs didn’t look the same and since we don’t have 8,000 years to wait on the reaper I guess they have to establish a realistic number of generations to deem it stable. It would take a very long time to choose characteristic in a hab and try to grow it out to those specifications, but a reaper is so early in its evolution it wouldn’t take long at all. (i.e if you like long pods, pick all the long pods, save the seeds, rinse, lather, repeat). My next thought is the reaper is an irregularly shaped pepper to begin with. It is lumpy, bumpy, and pointy so how much of an inconsistency does it take for you to deem it a variation? It is obvious the long pods are variations, but what about a fatter pod, or a pod that has a bump here instead of there, and has a longer or shorter stinger. Does this make the pepper unstable? I am asking these question because I really don’t know and I would like everyone’s thoughts, I am not trying to be an @$$. All my peppers had the same very distinct and unique flavor, no matter what they looked like. They were also all extremely hot and that is about all I can say about heat because there is no way I can tell the difference between 1.4 mill and 1.5 mil units. I guess I was happy being a newbie because they were all scotching hot, had great consistent flavor, and I got a lot of them. I didn’t really care about the shapes. I will post pictures later.

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Inny

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Long pod

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Variation

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Variation- I was told by someone that sells these that this is the perfect pod shape. Is there a standard description like a dog breed ? We all have in our own minds what these are supposed to look like but does anyone know for sure?

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Pods

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Pod variation on same plant- all of our peppers do look different guys and gals lol

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Scotty, i know, just giving u a hard time. I like to joke around. Personnaly, i don't really care what it looks like but it would be nice to be able to recognize it. The ones Caelien posted, i wouldn't have id'ed that as a reaper. Hopefully it will settle down and get more consistant in looks, but i have my doubts cause you know people are saving seed from the inferior pods also instead of picking the best. With the net, excluding this place, the bad are gonna spread just as fast as the good.

Jay- those look alot better. Those are some massive trunks on those plants. Those are gonna be monsters next year. Where are you at in ohio?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yep, there was a lot of pod variation on my plant as well. Much more than other varieties of peppers that I have grown in the past. I don't know if that is just a characteristic of the strain itself or if it is due to an unstable strain. I am thinking that is just the characteristics of the strain and significant pod variations can be expected on the same plant. One thing I have noticed on the photos of my Reaper plant is that it seems pods of one variation seem to grow in the same area of the plant. I have several pods that look like ghost peppers, others that are more classic Reapers, and them some that are kind of Habanero shaped all on the same plant but it seems they tend to be in groups on the plant. I also noticed that some of the pods are bumpy, some are smooth, some are shiny and some are not.
    Here is some pictures of pods all from the same Reaper plant.

Bruce

• ohiojay
    10 years ago

Columbus, Oh. The reaper spread nearly 6' wide during the summer. I like the shape better now.

Bruce...most of those, to me, sure resemble reaper. Really gnarly looking. Then there are those few that look more ghost-like. Could very well just be oddities of the plant. Hell, who knows for sure?

• scott123456
    10 years ago

I am wondering if you save seeds from the “inferior” pods (say a long one) will it reproduce a plant with all long pods? If it is a true phenotype variation and the genotypes stay consistent, then theoretically seeds from a long pod should be able to produce a plant that does not have long pods? If that is the case then in my eyes it would be a stable pepper with different shapes and sizes. Most of us have only seen one generation with this plant I am wondering what will happen next generation or in 5 generations, from all the pods inferior ones and typical one ( whatever that is) alike? Still unable to find a description of what it is “supposed” to look like though. i.e ½ inch stinger, bumpy, shiny, smooth, three lobed four lobed ect. No one knows. Let’s say the breed standard is ½ inch stinger pointing straight down. Then anything other than that would be a variation correct? I noticed others having smooth pods, and super fat stingers. I had neither of these on any of my pods. Everything was very bumpy and shiny and the “good” pods had a look to them as if they were melting with a witch’s nose stinger, not a perfect 7 pot or butch t shape. Looking at images of other peppers on the internet I noticed variation of many other strands like the butch T and 7 pot but even I must admit the CR has more variation that I would like to see. The shape I don’t care about so much, it’s a irregular shaped pepper but the bumpy vs smooth pods and shiny for dull pods worry me.

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

"I am wondering if you save seeds from the “inferior” pods (say a long one) will it reproduce a plant with all long pods?"

Most all of the time this doesn't happen if there's mixed pods on a plant. The variation is still in it's genetics on whole, not specific to the pod it's selected from off of the plant.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

nc-crn: Glad you clarified that because whenever people start using words like genotype and phenotype, my head starts spinning.
    Bruce

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Then assuming guinness used all pod shapes in its testing I dont see what the problem is.

• fusion_power
    10 years ago

The genotype generates the phenotype from the megasporocyte which turns into the oocyte.

Sorry folks, just had to see if esox's head really would spin around. Bet he got up to at least 10 rpm on this.

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Genetics can get very complicated and there are rules upon rules with exceptions to the rules. But for simplicity sake, a genotype is all the genes you inherited from your parents. A phenotype is the genes that you express (not necessarily what you see with your eyes but the characteristics that you express). For example, if your mother has blonde hair and your father has brown hair and you end up with brown hair then you have both blond and brown hair genes (genotype) but you are expressing the brown hair gene (brown hair phenotype). It does not have to be visual characteristics same thing goes for diseases and everything else. Now if you have a child with someone who also has brown hair but has a blond hair parent, it is possible that you will pass on the blond hair trait and have a blonde hair child even though you both have brown hair. That child would have a blonde hair phenotype. Like I said this is not a perfect example because there are rules upon rules and exceptions to the rules but it should help understand the difference between phenotype and genotype. Some genes are sex linked, some genes tend to be expressed together(blond hair blue eyes), it depends where the gene is on what chromosome, if the father has the gene, if the mother has the gene, and what sex the offspring is, some genes are dominant, some genes are recessive ect ect ect.

Genotype- all the genes from father and mother that got passed on to you and in turn can be passed on to your children

Phenotype- what characteristics or genes you express ( hair color , eye color, fast, slow, skinny fat, smart, dumb, ect)

• scott123456
    10 years ago

haha good one fusion

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yah, Fusion, great. I will be sitting here until 4 am trying to "wrap" my head around that one. Thanks!

Bruce

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I feel like it needs to be brought up again. according to the first certificate, it was being called a naga/habanero cross. but it looks like a 7pot primo. in fact it looks a lot like a 7pot primo. and tastes extremely similar as well (in my own limited experience).

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/WayRight/2011/8-31-11Primo.jpg

am I the only one who notices this similarity?

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Fusion - he wasn't kidding on the 4am thing. He emailed me about 2, still deep in thought.

Scott - i believe Ohiojays and mine are what they are supposed to look like. I thought the seed pack from puckerbutt had a pic on it. But i dug it out of last years stuff last night and i was wrong. No pic

Judo - from the pics i have seen, i can say it looks like the Primo, Naga, Bhut, Scorpion, Dorset, and many others. I beleive the "Primo look" is what its supposed to look like.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

it has elements of all those peppers, yes. it's bumpy like a bhut, and has a tail like a scorpion. but it looks EXACTLY like a primo. very bumpy, with a very narrow tail. and the taste similarity is what does it for me.

brain strains and morugas look very extremely similar (enough to have started multiple threads about them being the same pepper), but their taste is similar, but different enough to tell they're not merely the same pepper renamed.

the primo and the reaper taste exactly alike. and look exactly alike. the only difference is the primo has slightly more uniformity in pod shape.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

.Judo... i was joking about all the different pods we are seeing. The Primo is one i haven't got around to growing yet. Gonna have to look for it for next year

• ohiojay
    10 years ago

Columbus, Oh. The reaper spread nearly 6' wide during the summer. I like the shape better now.

Bruce...most of those, to me, sure resemble reaper. Really gnarly looking. Then there are those few that look more ghost-like. Could very well just be oddities of the plant. Hell, who knows for sure?

• tangripper
    7 years ago

just noticed this thread is 3 fukn years old

i bought some little plants that were labeled Reapers and i have had alot of fun growing them this year..they are beautiful and seemed to like me and the conditions i provided...after reading this thread it makes me sad that there is so much hate and fear and greed and overall lame human behavior surrounding this plant and the "creator"

sad

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks