Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtight

Bumble Bees for Sale

jtight
10 years ago

Anyone know where I can get some Bumble Bees (online) for the winter. Need to keep the pollination going a/ I cannot locate any person(s) w/in my region that have any for sale.

Johnny

Comments (20)

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Peppers self-pollinate rather easily.

Bees are mostly needed for tree, bush, and vine fruits, cukes, squash, melons, and some seed crops (brassicas).

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

You can have mine:
    Bruce

• gardendrivenlife
    10 years ago

That's an awesome shot!
    Gary

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Nice photo Bruce, sheesh, look at all the pollen on him. Since we are sharing, this is my garden buddy, I love the zipper spiders, although not much good at pollinating. ;-)
    Pam

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Only the mated bumble bee queens survive the winter. They're not active until spring.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Zipper spiders? Around here we call them ryders, since they are the same color, same size, and rhyme with Ryder moving trucks.

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

At a research greenhouse I was working/researching at in 2009 we had a "mascot" zipper spider (we call them "yellow garden spiders" or "corn spiders" around here).

It hung out in it's big web for nearly half a year while we worked around him...until a student decided to kill it and clean up the web because she was new and didn't "get the message" that the spider was our little buddy.

She didn't do anything wrong in killing/cleaning it up, but for days people would come into the greenhouse and say "Oh man, where's the spider?" (and variations on that...including the various names different people/teams had given the spider).

It's a rather harmless spider...menacing looking with a huge web, though.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

We also called them garden spiders. Argiope aurantia - there's lots of them. The females are very large and rather intimidating. The males are much smaller and easily overlooked.

• rdback
    10 years ago

We've always called them Garden Spiders, but I like Zipper Spider better!

Rick

...hunting in the cowpeas

...hunting me? lol

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Very cool guys. A little off topic but I guess that is my fault. I wish I knew a bit more about spiders because if I saw one of those fellas, he would be a "Dead Spider".
    Bruce

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

DO NOT KILL SPIDERS! They eat the bad bugs and if you kill them the bad bugs will eat you. [I modify that rule to exclude web spiders in the house, but hunting or wolf spiders have free rein!]

Now, up in Minnesota (at least in the Boundary Waters area) there is a Rain God - Huey, by name - to which spiders are sacred. Whenever one of our trekking crew killed a spider we all got wet and thereby cold.

Jes' sayin.

Dennis

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yah, I know, but I do know some are not real friendly and since I haven't taken the time to learn the difference, I choose to be safe and not sorry. I do know the "Daddy Long Legs" and don't have any problems with those however.
    Bruce

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

"where to buy bees" turns into "spider appreciation thread".

go internet.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

wow, I would be so mad if someone killed one of our spiders (I don't even kill them in the house). My sister-in-law saw one of the zipper spiders on our deck and commented that if it got near her she'd be killing it, I told her she'd be sorry. Sheesh, they are harmless and gorgeous. Around here we call them Zippers cos how their web looks like a Zipper. I like spiders, but I have to admit, I'm not too fond of Black Widows, I will kill them, we have tons of them around here. Sorry I turned the bubble bee post into a spider post.
    Pam

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Posted by nc-crn 7b (My Page) on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 20:39
    "where to buy bees" turns into "spider appreciation thread".
    go internet.

Yah, funny thing is, it is in the Hot Pepper Forum to begin with. Guess that is what happens when the pepper growing season slows down. For most of us, the growing season is over, the plants are history and it is too early to start setting up for our seed starts for next season.

• rdback
    10 years ago

"A little off topic but I guess that is my fault."

Yeah, I like that. Bruce made me do it! LOL

Rick

Daddy Longlegs aka Harvestman (not a spider, of course)
    {{gwi:115003}}

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Your fault Bruce? haha, I hate to tell you but I think I take the blame here. at least with your photo you stuck with the bee subject, I'm the one that went off on a tangent... can't help myself, I just love to sit and watch those huge zipper spiders, they are such neat spiders.
    Pam

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yah, OK, you guys are to blame. I will go with that. I didn't know that Daddy long legs wasn't a true spider however. They seem to like my pepper plants in the summer though.
    Bruce

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

I blame GMOs, chlorinated water, vaccines, Congress, the President of the United States, and chemtrails...and spiders and bees...mostly spiders and bees.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Mostly I blame the President.

[Boy did we screw up.]

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling