Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picture request (chiltepin)

Posted by redtailforester 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 5, 10 at 21:17

Hello everyone. I'm trying to figure out what the heck variety of chiltepin I grew this year. I just pruned them up and have them set for overwintering. If there is anyone else out there that is growing chiltepin and would be willing to post pod pics (and suggestions on what to do with them) I would be forever in your depth.

To date, I've made tepin jelly and have just been eating the hot little boogers whenever I walk by where I have them drying...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picture request (chiltepin)

OK, here is a Texas Bird chile....a tepin

Photobucket

o

• Posted by t-bob west wa (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 13:09

i fill a bottle with those fire bombs and then add rice vinegar, put in fridge for a while and then use on sauteed veggies, soups,eggs, and what not. refill as you use....they will last for many refills.

i also like to have a container of them and pop them into the mouth whenever needed

have fun with them, wish i had some this year

o

I remember reading a saveur magazine on texas cuisine.. and a favored thing to do is fry them and serve ontop of some eggs... hehehe, talk about a wake you up kindof breakfast!

o

The issue with the chiltepin and other tepins is that they all look similar. I have seen some labeled as sonoran chiltepin, turkey peppers, etc. Most looks similar.

This has got to be one of my favorite peppers though. I so love the quick heat and flavor. This pepper also produces almost year round. If you want to cross it with another pepper I'd probably recommend crossing it with a jalepeno to give it a little more bulk and juiciness.

Good luck on next years peppers!
Danny

o

In Mexico, in season, there is always a dish of both red and green tepins wherever you get your eggs for breakfast.

o

These are my 7 foot pequins here in maryland,,,Seeds from chile pepper institute....Extremely hardy and tasty peppers..

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pequin

Photobucket

bailey pequin

Photobucket

Bailey on left and regular on right

Photobucket

In white vinegar for pepper extract...Very good in anything...Especially my homemade ketchup

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here