Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwtamara

Editing Post Feature

gwtamara
11 years ago

Hi everyone,
We've been working on adding an 'edit post' feature and hope to have it fully functional this week. We are rolling it out to a select few forums (including this one) for testing and would appreciate your feedback.

To edit, once you have loaded the page where your post is located, look to the right and you'll see an edit link just under the Clippings area. This will open up the post and you'll be able to make your changes. It will be very similar to making changes in the Preview window when you make an original post.

You will not be able to edit your Subject line.

You will only be able to edit messages that you've posted today and beyond. Messages that you've posted before last Friday will not be accessible with the edit post feature. Also, once you have posted a new message, there is no time limit to make your edits.

Once you've changed your post, a notation is added to the bottom of the post, showing that it's edited. There is always a log kept of the original post.

If you experience any problems, please be specific as to what you are seeing and - very importantly - what type of computerand browser (and version) you are using. Please post issues/feedback to this thread.

Any questions, let me know!

Best,

Tamara

This post was edited by gwTamara on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 23:42

Comments (14)

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Testing 1... 2... 3...

adding... 4... 5... 6...

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 21:22

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Nice, works great. Thanks!

Note: need to refresh to see changes.

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Feature? or Bug?

Edit:

AHA! Feature!

Thanks. I'm on Firefox 17.0 with AdBlock and NoScript, on latest Vista x64.

Let's try adding that picture I forgot.

This post was edited by DMForcier on Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 23:10

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Halleluja...!

It works!

Josh

It works!

Josh

This post was edited by greenman28 on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 0:28

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

This should be on the "Hot Topics" forum so I can make inflammatory posts then edit them into something totally different in order to confuse/anger people.

Woo...Hot Topics. Obamas and Bushes and Ron Pauls and such...

I EDITED MY POST! I AM A GOD!

This post was edited by nc-crn on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 0:54

• rockguy
    11 years ago

gwTamara~ Thanks for all the hard work involved in updating the board. I can think of only a couple times I wished I'd had this feature in the past. Knowing I can't edit makes me ponder a little longer before I post. Well now I can edit, let's hope it turns out to be a "good thing".

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

Thank you for this feature. I would like to try to edit my old posts. This is my fourth time I edited. The old posts are not able to edit. How many hours or days and time are we allow to edit our posts?

This post was edited by chilliwin on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 6:17

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Might be something in the way new posts are handled by the database that lets them be editable, so that only posts made after the change can be fixed.

Test edit.

This post was edited by Edymnion on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 13:27

• gwtamara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi chilliwin,

You won't be able to edit anything you've posted before yesterday. However, anything that you post today, tomorrow, next week, etc can always be edited. So, that means that if you pull up a post that you made in 2011, you won't be able to change it. But, if you make a post today and then next year realize you made a typo, you'd still be able to come back and edit. Edymnion is on the right track -- it's just easier to allow editing on new posts.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Thanks for this feature!It's one of those common things that almost every new GW user asks about.

If a thread has some random post edited, will it show up as an unread thread?Guess I'll figure it out soon enough anyway, just thought I'd ask since you are here. :-)

edited for testing purposes only.

This post was edited by tsheets on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 18:57

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

gwTamara,

However, anything that you post today, tomorrow, next week, etc can always be edited. So, that means that if you pull up a post that you made in 2011, you won't be able to change it. But, if you make a post today and then next year realize you made a typo, you'd still be able to come back and edit.

Wait a minute! Tell me there's a time limit to edit a post. I really like the ability to edit posts BUT, I think an unlimited (day posted forward) ability to edit a post will cause context problems.

For example; if I post today that Member A traded bad seeds and 100's of members post gripes about their Member A trades and then I edit to say it was Member B, it confuses everything.

I think a 24 hour edit window is fair.

What do others think?

edit follows...

It would be nice to have the ability to delete a post within 24 hour if no one responds.

Just askin ;-)

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 20:27

• gwtamara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ottawapepper,

Right now, there is no limit, but that's not to say that this won't change sometime down the road. Yes, there is always the chance that someone will play dirty, but remember, we will always have a log of the original post and can take action, if necessary.

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

gwTamara,

Understood.

I would think that the administrative overhead of pouring through logs when there's a problem (been there, ain't going back) isn't worth the time. Much easier (cost effective) to code in a 24 hour window?

Just my humble opinion,

Bill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 20:51

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

> "I think a 24 hour edit window is fair.

What do others think? "

It wouldn't bother me to not have a limit. I'm used to a limit from other boards, so that probably wouldn't bother me either.

I do like the idea of being able to correct an older post. I'll notice something on a later reading that I was blind to earlier.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022