Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uncleflip

Fish pepper info?

uncleflip
9 years ago

Once more turning to my hot pepper elders...

I used airbnb over the weekend, and stayed with a wonderful couple just outside New Orleans. In our chatting, it came out that my hostess also grows peppers (among many other things). When my wife and I left, I was given a packet of seeds marked:

Fish Peppers
Af-Am Heirloom

Does anyone know anything about his particular type of pepper? I could look it up online- but it's probably more fun with the personality my friends here could bring to the conversation. :)

Comments (34)

• uncleflip
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting to know the history/geography.

Anyone know anything about the pepper itself- flavor, heat levels, etc?

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

I've grown Fish for several years now. If you've searched you know that not only is the fruit striped but the foliage is mottled green and white. I've noticed, at least for me, I prefer the plants with the most white on them, but apparently they don't seem as hardy as the ones with more green, at least for OK weather. The white seems to burn up. Sadly too, I've grown them for years, but I have yet to get much fruit from them. Don't know why, but they are very pretty, foliage and fruit.
    Pam

• jcav8ter
    9 years ago

I've grown Fish peppers for years too. The plants seem to vary greatly in the coloring and amount they produce. It's just hit or miss. The peppers are medium hot in my opinion. They start out green with white stripes. I find that they are hottest at this point. They will eventually turn completely red and are more mild at that point. They were and are used to season sea food dishes in the Maryland area and other areas of the east coast. It's a good all around pepper and I grow them each year. The plants can be pretty too. Hope this helps some.

John

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Of all the varieties I've grown, Fish Peppers are the worst for cross pollinating with other varieties, resulting in seeds that won't grow true to type. I'm not saying the seeds you've been given aren't the real deal, but if the plants you grow aren't variegated, that's what's happened. I kept my two plants semi isolated this year to try to prevent this happening.

By the way, if anyone reading this knows a recipe for making a sauce with them to go over fish, I'd appreciate it.

Tom

• smokemaster_2007
    9 years ago

I've also read that it's named fish pepper because before refrigeration fish was mostly salted down and dried.
    Not the best tasting etc. using salt and peppers hid the taste somewhat.
    Like the early Cowboys used chilis to make dead cow (snakes,praire dogs,whatever)taste better.

• Big Kahuna
    9 years ago

@kentishman

I found a recipe - see link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fish Pepper Sauce recipe

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Many thanks Leesouthern!

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

One of my favorite peppers to grow. Always tasty and prolific plus beautiful ornamental plants.

FataMorgana

• northerner_on
    9 years ago

One of my favourite peppers to grow as an ornamental. I grow them in pots separate from all other peppers so they retain their albino genes. It's quite interesting to follow the colour variations as the fruit ripen. My plants have been quite prolific. They are fairly hot - good for throwing into stews and gravies and curries when you need a little heat.

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

If they grow true for you uncleflip you should be stoked on looks alone.

I am still way green when it comes to growing peps... Fish peppers are amazing looking! Never tried one but hope too some day.

I would love to get my hands on some fish pepper seeds! Unfortunately I haven't quite accumulated enough/good seed to feel good about doin the swap... If anyone that has fish pepper seed can spare a dozen seeds I'd be super stoked! I'd trade some seeds from what I have which are three dif ornamentals, bhut jolokia, mystery orange scotch bonnet (mildish), super chili and or, Thai dragon and a mystery moruga scorpion that turned out not to be one and is very similar to my Caribbean red hab.

Email is davf1@yahoo.com if anyone could help

Good luck flip.

dj

• dalebaird
    9 years ago

Fish peppers are an amazing species of peppers, the history of the fish pepper is spell bounding within its own right.My wife and I have been vendors at the Maryland state fair for many years,On our down time we run around to auctions,flea markets etc in and around Timonium .....that's where we became Introduced to the elusive fish pepper,We actually bought crates of tools and found a jar of seeds that had a piece of wood burnt with the word hot fish pepper,we know grow the fish pepper and sell it.I have seen and done research on the seeds and some of the major seed company's do not have the original strain of the fish pepper (Please excuse me I just BURPeed) So do your research before buying and read their reviews of the actual seed packet that they are selling, seedsavers exchange that's where William woys weaver actually deposited the original fish pepper seeds, they are a safe source. .we offer the plants and peppers at www.fishpepper.com  Even if your not interested in purchasing ,stop by and read the fascinating story of the fish pepper. Help to spread the word and keep this amazing pepper and it beautiful history alive.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I got seeds from Burpees and they were certainly Fish peppers. Extremely variegated and look exactly like all photos I have seen. Nice, they turn a nice red color when ripe. The strain Burpee's has is nice, and produced a lot of peppers.

If it's not original even better as it is an excellent strain to have then. The variegation on the peppers is striking. Here is a photo of the plant I grew from them. Notice in the center left the ripe red, to the right is a green immature pepper, to the right of that is a striped white and green (more mature), Below the red is an almost all white pepper, Many of leaves are almost completely white. So whatever they are selling it's an excellent pepper to have! Glad I got it there!

Burpee's is one of the oldest seed companies around. They are huge because they are good at what they do.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

I like pictures better than describing a plant in words.
    So far in this discussion nobody has posted a picture .
    OK. I am going googling to FISH a picture :-)

I caught one ! I got One !

Looks very ornamental.
    I might grow one. I think I have 5 bags of seeds , courtesy of Bruce (Esox)

Seysonn

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Actually I did include a photo in my last post and here is another one .

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

I don't /can't see any other pictures in this thread. Where did they go ?

Seysonn

PS. Ok I see now. you provided a link to your photobucket account.

Why not directly post from your PC? so that it is visible?

In this new layout you can upload up to 3 pictures per post. I like this better than going back and forth to PB.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Photos are linked. click on"one" in my last post. And "photo" in the other post.
    Hyperlinks might not work on your computer? They should be a different color.
    I could not attach as this computer is not mine, and my photos are not here.
    My computer is offline for some upgrades right now. Hyperlinks lead to my photobucket account.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Great Pepper. I grew a couple last year for the first time. They are both ornamental and good to eat. Fairly mild heat and good taste. Many people like to eat them with all things.....FISH.

• dalebaird
    9 years ago

Nice Pics Thanks for posting.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

esox07,
    I grew those last year and even though the plant colors were right, the pods were pure white and eventually turned red. Not like those.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Ronny: not sure but I think they are supposed to be veriagated more like mine. I know the leaves are supposed to be. Maybe you have a White Ronny Fish Pepper...hahaha. A new variety. Maybe some others can chime in with their experiences on what the fish pepper pods should look like through their growth stages.

PS: I know the photo of mine with the purple is simply due to "sun burn" which is common on a lot of peppers.

Bruce

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Bruce, I got about 6 packs of your fish pepper seeds. Not kidding. here they are. Let me count : 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. I was wrong I've got 7 packs.
    Geez I can plan an acre with all that. LOL. If you ever need Fish Pepper seeds, let me know. would be glad to share.. hahaha
    But on serious note, I am soaking few seeds to do one pot.

Seysonn

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Bruce, your peppers look like mine. it's possible to get a variation where you would get all white pods, or all green for that matter.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yah, I sent a ton of seeds from each of about 6 or 7 varieties to the seed swap. I am sure just about everyone in the swap got plenty.

The Fish pepper is a fun/pretty plant to grow and they are relatively good tasting as a bonus.

• dalebaird
    9 years ago

Some people have luck with some seeds, some dont....

Hope this helps

from mother earth news... heres the link

for what its worth.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/fish-pepper-zmaz09amzraw.aspx

Some seed companies are now selling “off” seeds, with leaves that are
    not multi-colored enough and pods of the wrong shape. So stick to the
    sources listed in the Mother Earth News Seed and Plant Finder. The pods should be short, pendant and pointed, ideally about 1 1⁄2 to 2 inches long.

Saving
    seed from ‘Fish’ peppers is both easy and complicated. Seed must come
    from fully ripened fruit and from plants that are not growing near other
    Capsicum annuums (common peppers such as bell peppers,
    cayennes, etc.). The reason for the latter is that as insects and wind
    move pollen around, the recessive gene in ‘Fish’ peppers will spread to
    other peppers in the area. So you may end up with variegated bell
    peppers and who knows what else!

Also seed savers exchange has a great reputation.

Good luck Growing.

• dalebaird
    9 years ago

found this recipe while searching mother earth news..Enjoy.

White Hot Fish Pepper Salsa

The white bell pepper variety called for in this recipe
    was developed specifically for its white color, and is available in
    many supermarkets with specialty peppers. This is an excellent salsa for
    fish or shellfish, and also ceviche (a chilled mixture of fish
    marinated in lime juice). It can be frozen for later use.

1 pound white bell peppers
    4 ounces white ‘Fish’ peppers
    1 large cooking apple (about 8 ounces), pared, cored and chopped
    1 1⁄2 cups white wine vinegar
    1 cup sugar
    4 cloves garlic
    1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped (or substitute 1/2 cup lime juice)
    1 1⁄2 tbsp salt

Seed and chop the peppers, and put them in a large, non-reactive (avoid aluminum and copper) pan. Add the apple,
    vinegar, sugar, garlic and pineapple (or lime). Cover and simmer over
    medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes or until the peppers are soft. Purée to
    a creamy consistency and return
    to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil. Stir in the salt, and pour into hot
    sterilized jars. Seal and store in a dark, cool closet until needed, or
    freeze. Yields 5 cups

• dalebaird
    9 years ago

Just wanted to share on a book that some readers here may enjoy, from the person responsible for saving the fish pepper and other heirloom vegetables.I highly recommend it,author is William woys Weaver, heirloom vegetable gardening ,got my copy on amazon.

• dalebaird
    9 years ago

djoyofficial you still need some seeds? let me know we will send some out to you.(no charge) our seed came from the Baltimore area,I like to believe its the original stock.email me at fishpepper.com if you still need some.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Yep, it was a weird fish plant. White peppers and white flowers. No stripes at all, just 2 white pods abot the size of med jalapenos. Aleady took my choc fish and started cross breeding that one.

• dalebaird
    9 years ago

loL Yea they will do that. We have heard of others also with some pretty strange growing habits.I wanted to create a new strain with one called a pink tiger I, ordered

from Italy found a guy on face book selling them, its a hybrid also,Awesome looking plant,but not having much luck,they keep dying on me before I can try,may be for the best, it would take seven years and I probably wont have the patience for it.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

It is getting hot and of course "fishy" hear. I like fish and heat of pepper.
    My seeds are in the soil after soaking. It should germinate in about 6 days.
    I can't wait to make a salsa with it to go a long a nice fish. What is better on fish than fish sauce., Dalebaird's recipe'.

Seysonn

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Dale, thanks for the book info. I'm checking that out. Mary

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

My seeds are in the soil now. I should see sprouts in a couple of days. I am planting it mostly for its ornamental value.
    Look forward to seeing it grow.

Seysonn

• northerner_on
    9 years ago

Just be sure to keep it apart from other peppers. You run the risk of losing its albino gene. It's very interesting to watch the various stages the peppers go through as they ripen. And give them some room. They grow into sizeable shrubs.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction