Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtight

Holiday Seed Swap 2013

jtight
10 years ago

Holiday Seed Swap - 2013

Rules/Regs
1. Seeds must be clearly labeled a/ in separate bags. If not, they will be sent back to you and not used
2. Only pure seeds pls. No hybrids or "special mixes" (i.e., Mikes super strain or Bills brain freezers)
3. Seed packet rules
Min 10 per bag
Max of 5 bags per type
Max of 40 bags per participant
4. If you want to donate seeds beyond the 40 max, understand you are donating these
5. Notate if pepper is: Heirloom or Open Pollinated (OP)
6. Notate whether pepper is hot or not (i.e., anything equal to a/or higher than Cayenne = hot). I don�t have the Scoville scale memorized
7. Include a list (type/quantity) you are sending to trade
8. Include of list (type/quantity) you would like to receive (notate if Heirloom or OP only)
9. Your name and GW username must be written on each packet submitted
10. Include your email address with shipment for communication purposes going forward
11. Leftover seeds submitted will be used for "newbies" unless you note that you want any "leftovers" returned to you
12. Newbies are welcome to participate just note you may/may not receive anything based on availability of seeds
13. Just because you send something in early doesn�t necessarily mean you will get first dibs on what you want
14. Don�t send seeds > 1 yr old
15. Pls do not mis-label seeds. No one wants to think they rec�d Ghost seeds a/ they get Bell Pepper

Shipping/Handling Rules
1. DO NOT send anything unless it is in a size 000 or higher bubble wrap envelope (REQUIRED). If you send something in a plain envelope those seeds will not be used a/ you will not receive anything back
2. Inside the envelope must be enough money to send seeds back to you. If not, they you will not receive anything back as I cannot pay postage for you
3. Make sure your name a/ return address are clearly noted
4. If outside of US (i.e., Canada, Europe, etc.) expect longer time for both submission and receipt of exchange items
5. Only US funds are accepted

Timing
1. Submission is open from 11/20 - 12/20 (Plan accordingly)
Note - Anything rec�d post 12/20 will not be used a/ request not filled. Your items will simply be returned to you
2. 12/20 - 12/30 will be used for re-packaging
3. Mail out will be from 1/2 � 1/10

Important Notes
1. Only Peppers are being swapped
2. Remember this is a voluntary exchange and that no one is required to participate
3. Understand that you prob won�t get everything you want in return b/c we may not receive enough to fulfill everyone's wish list. I will do my best to be fair in fulfilling requests
4. Importance of this is to share our love for peppers amongst ourselves and hopefully procure new types to enjoy
5. An email distribution list will be setup to communicate outside of GW

Submission address
Johnny Luse
P.O. Box 276
Midland, GA 31820

Group email distribution will come from = jluse21@yahoo.com

Current participant list
pepperchuck
Maple_grove
Pepperdave
Gardendrivenlife
DMForcier
t-bones
MsPeppaJo
Bill_Missy
scorpion_john
JLN123
LexxLuthor
flowersnhens
judo_and_peppers
john11840
spacetogrow

Comments (87)

• teevoo
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would like to participate as a newbie. I do have seeds from the plant I currently have that I COULD share except I have no idea what it is...

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got 5 more packages today. :)

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

looking good. got 67 diff. varieties so far

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pic of peppers

• 0x0is0
    10 years ago

Where does one get/buy those nice little baggies for seeds storage???

I recently bought my pepper seeds from Sand Hill Preservation Center before I discover this thread. SandHill gave me MORE than enough. I would like to share my stash, but I don't have those little bags :(

Would be nice to participate for the first time so I can expand my pepper varieties :)

This post was edited by 0x0is0 on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 18:45

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • pepperchuck
    10 years ago

Got mine at wal mart in the arts and craft section... 100 bags $1

• 0x0is0
    10 years ago

Okay thanks. Wal-mart I can do. There's one around here, although that store and the atmosphere scares me. I'll see if I can buy some after work.

This post was edited by 0x0is0 on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 19:20

• filaluvr
    10 years ago

I am not a newbie but just lost all my peppers in a greenhouse tripped breaker incident today. Most of them were from newby seeds gifted and exchanged here several years ago. I had/have a busted leg and never got good at saving pure seeds but really loved my 5 foot pepper plants. I would love to be put at the bottom of the list, after all exchanges and newbies get what they want. I prefer hotter peppers, but any pepper is a good pepper for me. If its a doable request I will send my SASE, and can even send extra bubble mailers as I have a ton of them stored somewhere if that helps.

• em247
    10 years ago

@0x0is0 - I just bought these bags from Amazon. Seven bucks for 1,000 of them seemed pretty cheap. I've also used the smaller sized letter envelopes you can buy in a 100 count box for about a buck. I just cut them in half width-wise, seal the adhesive, and cut one edge lower than the other at the top to make a flap that can fold over and be taped down. A little bit of time involved in that route, but it's pretty cheap when you figure you get 200 of them for a buck. Hope that helps in case your local Walmart doesn't have the little plastic bags in stock.

Here is a link that might be useful: SE - Self Lock Bag Set - Single Zipper, 2 mil, 2x2in., 1000 Pc

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

9 days to go on submission. Pls work on getting in your peppers in.

Johnny

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

9 days to go on submission. Pls work on getting in your peppers in.

Johnny

• 0x0is0
    10 years ago

Thanks @em247 for the heads up. Maybe when I become a hot pepper kingpin next year (like scorpion_john), I will get the 1000 bags to share. I was in a rush to meet the deadline, so I dropped by Wal-mart yesterday and bought the last two bags of 100 each (2"x3") which are the perfect bag size. $2 out the door.

Will send in my stash tomorrow during my lunch break (from Cali).

I will also send in some empty bags, just in case the variety I'm wishing for ran out, and the OP feels like "skimming" 2 or 3 seeds out of the popular pepper varieties. Honestly, that's all I need really, just 2-3 seeds of each.

Anyway, a big THANKS to the OP for quarterbacking this swap.

ps. I hope you don't mind I sent in some bell peppers too (King Of The North, and Purple Beauty) which I bought from Sand Hill Perservation Center last month.

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got to more envelopes today from members.

I'll post a pic once I get them all sorted out

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Countdown is on for sending in seeds/requests. Looking at 6 more days, counting today.

12/20 is preferred cut-off.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Package sent. Since I have gotten most of my seeds already I'll do like scorpion_john and make this a Christmas gift. I forget how many packets - I think it's 105.

Dennis

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to some of our super members for sending in mass quantity of seeds for "donation." Newbies will appreciate it.

• pepperchuck
    10 years ago

Yes we will!! I'm already looking forward to my "late Christmas package!" I've got a half acre back yard and a plot on my dads land that I plan on filling this year so hopefully if it all goes well with this season I'll be able to make a mass donation on the next swap to pay it forward.

Chuck

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good luck Chuck .

In all seriousness, we have rec'd a very large/broad variety of seeds. I feel as if those whom are participating will be satisfied w/ what they are able to procure as result of this swap.

• filaluvr
    10 years ago

I am mailing my SASE and sending along with it 10 or more empty bubble envelopes for whomever needs one since I had no seeds to swap. Mailing it tomorrow. I am sending 6 stamps with it but the whole big envelope I am sending them in cost only 2 50 to send so there should be extra stamps as well after mine are sent back. Thanks everyone :)

• mspeppajo
    10 years ago

Wow!!!! The Newbies are gonna make out like BANDITS this year!!! Hahaha!!! When I read all the notes about how much was donated for the newbs, it just so reminded me of why I love this forum and this group of people so much...talk about Christmas and the spirit of giving ...these ppl do this all year long!!! May God Bless Everyone and May Everyone Have a Joyous, Safe, and Blessed Christmas!!!

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

Wow is right. As a newbie and reading (or occasionally posting) on this forum, I must say there is a bunch of great people here. The Christmas spirit seems to bring out the best in all, but I think it is more than that. It is a bunch of great chiliheads (er.. people) here who love what they do and want to share the bounty with others. Awesome generosity.
    This forum is great.

Take care everyone and be safe over the holidays.
    Ron

• botanicat
    10 years ago

Is 12/20 last day to post mark or for you to have received the seeds? Would like to join but may be too late.

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am fine w/ receiving things until years end.

• botanicat
    10 years ago

I will get mine in the mail tomorrow. Count me in.

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

!!!UPDATE!!!

Due date EXTENDED to 12/31.

• t-bones
    10 years ago

thanks for the extension, seeds sent out this morning.

Tim

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

come on, I wanna see an updated pic of the piles of pepper seeds.

• peppers_galore
    10 years ago

Hello everyone. I am a newbie and I am so glad that this is open to us and the date was extended. I did grow some plants this year but most of them were from store bought pods so I don't have anything worthy of trade. I must have grown 100 de arbol plants this year. I am hoping to mix it up a little more next year and then I will be able to contribute.

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

I would be curious to see a list of the seeds that were traded (not the quantity). It does not have to be now, but maybe after they are sent out. Let it be a Christmas surprise to those who contributed and to the newbies such as myself.

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Couple more days to get seeds in for swap a/ your request list.

Also, there are several other separate threads asking about swapping seeds a/or where to buy seeds; hopefully those individuals stumble across this thread a/ participate as well.

Again thanks for everyones help.

Look for an updated pic shortly of what all was rec'd.

• leafericson
    10 years ago

Count me in, I will send out Monday.
    -Eric-

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Going to have to ask that LAST CALL for submission(s) be tomorrow for this seed swap. I need time to collate them a/ get them back out w/in the first two weeks of 2014.

Really appreciate everyone's participation.

Johnny

• Pepper_Tounge
    10 years ago

I can't wait! I'm making space in my apartment for a mini pepper plantation as we speak.

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

Should the newbies send a SASE or just a envelope with some cash in there. What is the preferred method?

Thanks

• filaluvr
    10 years ago

I sent a SASE, and extra padded envelopes, and stamps.

• 0x0is0
    10 years ago

Last week I sent in a self addressed padded envelope, some seeds to trade, a wish list, and three George Washingtons, since I didn't know how much was return postage.

Will there be a posted list of seeds available? Can we make changes to our Wish List? Just wondering...

Thanks OP for quarterbacking.

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

0x0is0 - I will work to compile a list of seeds rec'd and notate.

If you wanted to edit your wish list, pls send me an email by end of day.

Again, let me preface that you may/may not receive what you are requesting, via "wish list" due to volume/types rec'd. I can do my best to try a/ accommodate

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As of today (still expecting 2-5 more mail-ins) we have 85 diff varieties for a total of 730 packets. Here is list below.

Seed to Swap Type/Quanity
    7 Pot yellow 5
    Aji Chinchi Amarillo 4
    Aji Cristal 1
    AJI Limon 21
    Aji Umba 1
    Ajo Rojo 5
    Alma 5
    Anaheim NuMex 5
    Benji Highlands 5
    Billy Goat 6
    Bishops Crown 5
    Black Cobra 5
    Black Cuban 5
    Black Pearl 7
    Bolivian Rainbow 3
    Brazillian Starfish 1
    Buldog Hungarian 13
    California Wonder 2
    Carolina Reaper 8
    Chi-Chien 5
    Chiero Recife 20
    Chilhuacle 4
    Chimayo 21
    Congo Brown 1
    Cow Horn 1
    Cubanelle 2
    Cumari 10
    Cyklon 4
    Czech Black 2
    Douglah 5
    Fatalii 2
    Fatalii (red) 10
    Fatalii (yellow) 5
    Fish 8
    Ghost (Choclate) 13
    Ghost (Red) 30
    Ghost (White) 4
    Goat Horn Hot 3
    Guajillo 5
    Habanero (Chocolate) 7
    Habanero (Orange) 23
    Habanero (Red/Yellow) 2
    Habanero (TFM) 5
    Habanero (Yellow) 5
    Hot Portugal 5
    Hungarian wax 7
    Jalapeno 14
    Japones 10
    Jonah 3
    King of the North 5
    Korean Dark Green 5
    Lemon Drop 10
    Leutschauer 20
    Marconi (Red) 1
    Melrose 4
    NuMex Big Jim 2
    NuMex Mirasol 5
    NuMex Twilight 5
    Onza Rojo 5
    Paper Lantern 5
    Peter Pepper 5
    Poblano 6
    Purple Beauty 4
    Rain Forest 1
    Red Cherry 1
    Red Manzano 1
    Red Savina 5
    Serrano Tampiqueno 5
    St. Peter 17
    Sweet Banana 6
    Sweet Purple Beauty 1
    Taka Not Some 3
    Thai Bird 3
    Thai Bird (Small Red) 3
    Thai Hot (Orange) 7
    Thai Hot (Red) 6
    Trinidad Congo 13
    Trinidad Douglah 11
    Trinidad Scoprion (Chocolate) 30
    Trinidad Scoprion (Yellow) 15
    Trinidad Scorpion (Butch T) 5
    Trinidad Scorpion (Red) 140
    Trinidad Scorpion Moruga 13
    Yellow Brain Strain 6
    Yellow Devils Tongue 14
    85 Varities 731

• 0x0is0
    10 years ago

Wow!!!

I bow to you @jtight for coordinating this. A lot of great people here on this forum.

Can't wait for Spring...

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Couple of updates

1. THANK YOU to those "super" members that sent in a (insert s-word here) load of seeds a/ asked for nothing in return. You know who you are. :)

2. I am going to begin filling orders later in the week a/ will work to get everything mailed out in next two weeks.

3. REMEMBER - we either did NOT receive all the items you requested a/or sufficient quantities; therefore you will NOT get everything. :(

4. Am going to do my best to get you as much of what you asked for; however, cannot guarantee this.

5. Everyone will get add'l items due to abundance of seeds rec'd. Try them out a/ let us know.

6. Newbies - all of you will receive "something hot" as we rec'd a lot of hot items. :)

Couple housekeeping items
    1. My assumption is those people who sent me an envelope w/ no list will take anything sent back to them?

2. Filaluvr - I NEED A RETURN ADDRESS :)

Thank You everyone for participation. Hope your garden is full of new items next year that you enjoy.

-Johnny

• leafericson
    10 years ago

Hey, i've got a package with a list half that coming you way. Not sure if you got my email or not but it should arrive Friday, please wait for it.
    -Eric-

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

Looks like 2014 is going to be The Year of The Scorpion no matter what the color

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Leaf - Will do

Dave - I agree

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Leaf - got your package today

• leafericson
    10 years ago

Horray!!!

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Swap complete. Items to be mailed out next week.

I created a new thread for this entitled, "New Thread Holiday Seed Swap." New thread provides more information.

Johnny

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Everything mailed out today. You should have packages by Mon/Tues. If you do not receive anything by next Friday get w/ me, outside of GW, to discuss.

Johnny

• jtight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My assumption is everyone has rec'd their seed swap packages by now. Am also hoping everyone was pleased w/ the results.

• teevoo
    10 years ago

I have received my package. Thank you for hosting this, I have already started some seed and am looking forward to growing a variety of pepper this year.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio