Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djoyofficial

Hot olive oil

djoyofficial
9 years ago

I use olive oil.... Very often. Weather its frying up corn shells for tacos or making a marinade for meats. To me it is an essential oil for cooking.

I have dried a bunch of peppers and I use them regularly. In order to thoroughly extract the capsaicin oils from the dried peppers, I find that saut�ing fresh onions and garlic together with the dried peppers really bring out the heat.

I am experimenting with adding various quantities of dried peppers into olive oil to see if the oil will (over time) extract the capsaicin oils.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Will the olive oil thoroughly extract the capsaicin and make it useable for cooking?

I have searched on the subject and found answers that seemed vague.

dj

Comments (28)

• eibren
    9 years ago

The Chinese regularly steep dried, crumbled hot red peppers in oil to make "hot red oil." Usually the pepper pieces are left in as part of the hot oil.

In some Italian restaurants, hot pepper and other herbs are steeped in olive oil and that oil is then poured onto flat plates for dipping Italian bread' in place of butter. The oil does pick up the tastes of the peppers and other herbs.

You can purchase clear hot red oil in Asian grocery stores, and this oil has quite a bit of heat to it. The proportions of dried red pepper to oil are probably a trade secret.

You could probably loosely fill a large-ish container with crumbled, dried hot pepper and then cover with olive oil and let stand for a month or so, then test. You could then strain into smaller containers, adding as much additional oil as needed if too hot. I notice my local Chinese restaurant keeps tiny containers of their hot red oil in the fridge, but the clear commercial variety is sold unrefrigerated.

• jtight
    9 years ago

I do this method annually for various peppers a/ use it throughout the year for cooking, as ref. above.

(Preface that varying peppers determine quantity used based on heat tolerance/preference)

Ingredients -
    1. 16oz Olive oil
    2. Pepper of choice
    3. Kosher Salt

Directions -
    1. Wash/Clean Peppers
    2. Remove seeds and stem
    3. Cut pepper into vertical strips
    4. Coat w/ thin layer of kosher salt
    5. Heat oil in 3qt sauce pan
    Note - Temp should be borderline "frying" of pepper (i.e., med-mid/high on most stoves)
    6. Cook peppers for 5-7mins
    7. Remove from heat a/ let cool
    8. Discard used peppers
    9. Drain oil into container

1. Enjoy ______Pepper Olive Oil

If doing this inside I recommend that the oven fan is on high, any add'l ventilation you can provide, do such, a/ I wouldn't do this w/ anyone else home b/c of intense smell as capsaicin and pepper meet oil

Johnny

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I always put a few dry chili pods in cooking oil (usually a blend of olive, canola, etc).
    I see this E. Indian chef on PBS, always put couple of cayenne type of pods in the pan while heating the oil. (I would discard it later) Caps. being an oil itself, should dissolve in warm/hot oil.

seysonn

This post was edited by seysonn on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 6:51

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. I have put a small bottle of oil with a couple dried bhut jolokia that were sliced into thin strips on the shelf.. I will taste test it every week or two and see if there is any noticeable increase in heat over time. I imagine it could take quite a while.
    Meanwhile I will give your other ideas a try.

Thanks, dj

• randy355
    9 years ago

I agree with Johnny heat the peppers and oil together you will get a better product with less peppers used

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

I've never used dried peppers only fresh. The recipe I've used is pasted below, the difference is to use fewer peppers when you want to have hot oil and not preserved peppers. Also note the warning.

Oil Packed Peppers

2 c Hot peppers, any kind
    Olive oil, extra virgin
    1 Garlic clove, chopped (opt)

Hot tomales!!! Turn them into hot pimentos. Split and remove seeds and veins and stems, Saute' with garlic in extra virgin olive oil until tenter but not brown, pack still hot peppers tightly into jar leaving 1/2 inch headroom. Meanwhile heat 1 cup E V olive oil in sauce pan to 300 degrees, using a pointed knife pierce a hole down the center of the peppers to the bottom of the jar, pour the hot oil into this hole a little at a time to avoid boil over, fill the jar to 1/4 inch from the top slowly. Wipe the jar top and sides with a paper towel and apply the cap tightly.

No further processing is needed. The jarred product is shelf stable (check for the requisite depressed lid). Be sure to sterilize the lid at the very least, the hot oil will sterilize the jar and peppers. CAUTION!

Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene practices must be used.

* Many folks grew up on canned peppers in oil (Notably Mediterranean locals), and have experienced few/no problems eating peppers canned in oil with fresh garlic. This does not mean however that it is a safe practice.

I use the oil for everything but my favorite is Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing Mixes.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

NECM - where did that recipe come from? I don't get the warning about fresh herbs at the end, b/c the same warning applies to peppers. Peppers are a low-acid (over pH 4.6) food and so is oil, the oil can insulate any botulism spores on the peppers so sealing (open kettle "canning") as described is potentially hazardous.

Peppers in vinegar ("pique") are shelf stable but please don't seal peppers (or garlic, or herbs) in oil. In fact, even unsealed oils with low-acid ingredients should not be kept at room temperature. Dried peppers are less of a concern than fresh but I'd still refrigerate the oil (I'd say you could push it a week instead of 2-3 days recommended maximum for fresh herbs in the link below).

So make enough oil for a couple of days max if using fresh peppers, you might try freezing it like pesto, I don't know how frozen pieces in oil (or strain peppers out and freeze the flavored oil - make sure to label) would turn out. Let us know.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP canned food gifts incl. flavored oils

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Flavoring cooking oil ( or any vegetable oil) is different from pickling in oil. The other day I saw on PBS, this Italian chef (Lydia) pickling fresh veggies (carrots, red bell, celery ..) in pure olive oil. She said it is good for up to 2 months.

If you are concerned with Botulism when marinating your oil with fresh pepper, garlic (whatever), Just simmer those in a little hot oil for 15-30 minutes and then add them to the batch.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Since this is an EVOO discussion, here's a good bread dip.
    You need a mortar & pestle.
    2-garlic cloves
    1-teaspoon dried rosemary, oregano, thyme, and basil
    1-teaspoon of red pepper flakes, or minced fresh pepper
    1-teaspoon Kosher salt
    EVOO
    Put everything in the bowl and mash the hell out of it with a little EVOO. Continue to mash and mix, adding EVOO until you've added about a cup or so. Incorporate it well. Git the bread hot, it's ready...

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

@ ajsmama. I've used PepperFool's website since the late 90's, before website opened, & their Canning Recipes (Left hand column.). Many are dated and have disclaimers as this one does.

Funny thing is I have a jar about 5-10 years old prepared this way, hot oil method & shelf stored, should I toot on down to Litchfield County 'n you & I taste test it for botulism? This is meant as a joke but I do have a jar that I wonder about. Again, any form of food poisoning is nothing to joke about.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

NECM, I vote you taste test this jar, in the name of SCIENCE!

I say that partially joking, because I would not wish food poisoning of any sort on anyone, but I am very curious.

another interesting point, this oil is being heated to 300 degrees. a pressure cooker (to kill all botulism spores) generally goes to 250. perhaps the greatly increased temp plays a role in the possible safety of this recipe.

I recently was given a recipe for a Trini hot sauce from an in-law that is entirely oil based. they mix up the ingredients, and then leave it out in the sun for a few hours, never cook anything, and use it for months.
    and like almost every real Trinidadian recipe, it doesn't come with actual numeric measurements for any of the ingredients, so I'm gonna have to experiment a bit (by that I mean a lot) with it before I even consider posting anything.

edit: and when I do post it, it won't be labeled a shelf stable recipe, despite what my family members keep telling me.

This post was edited by judo_and_peppers on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 19:55

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I Made a 16 oz bottle by keating the oils (and the peppers in it ) for about 30 min., temps up to 200F. I don't think any karmful bacteria can survive for 30 minutes at 200F. That is assuming that there existed such things before the process.
    According to the statistics about 20 people die of food borne botulism over one year in USA. That is like 5 persons in 100,000,000. people. C'mon !

If you are going to use it in cooking, (flavoring a saute) then what is the big deal. It is going to get heated again.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Everybody has their own level of acceptable risk. The post just seemed strange to me b/c I read the warning as applying to herbs in oil only and peppers are just as much of a risk.

The thing about oil is that it insulates the spores so even if you get the oil up over 250F you don't know if all the spores got exposed to the high temps. Heck, even non-vacuum-sealed bottles at room temp can develop toxin b/c the oil also keeps the oxygen from getting at the spores (people have gotten botulism even from foil-wrapped baked potatoes and partially cooked pot pies sitting at room temp overnight!). Storing flavored oils in the fridge slows growth down but sounds like it may not be totally safe for long-term storage.

Just passing along the recommendations. And no thanks NECM, I don't want to sample the oil. Might be OK to use for cooking, but I wouldn't want to try it on a salad. And when in doubt throw it out if you really have a jar you wonder about.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Clostridium botulinum. is not something to make light of which I did and apologize. How serious are the symptoms?

VR Green Farms of San Clemente, CA sold some "farm prepared" products that are on recall and the reason is: Botulism Causes Ohio Illnesses

The two Ohio patients, both Cincinnati residents in their 20â²s, were each on ventilators at one point but are improving, according to the Cincinnati Health Department. One patient is still on a ventilator and was transferred last week to an acute long-term care facility, Dr. Steven Englender, director of the departmentâÂÂs Center for Public Health Preparedness said in an email. The other patient is breathing unassisted and âÂÂmay have been discharged by now,â he said.

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 6:18

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Wow, I heard about the recall but not the victims. I hope they recover - just b/c one might have been discharged doesn't mean he didn't go home in a wheelchair.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

botulism is rare, and that's a good thing. it's rare because it's entirely preventable. and people go to great lengths to continue to prevent it. let's keep up the good work.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Nobody has ever said that poisoning by botulism does not exist. and nobody has ever said that one should ignore it. The point is putting things into perspective. It is like anytime a passenger airplane crashes it explodes like a bomb. Per passenger -mile data, flying is the safest travel method. But 100s of people get injured or die on the roads and highways every day, due to bad design and defective manufacturing, that we don't hear about it. Now the same thing with 2 people got poisoned by botulism in Ohio.
    I worry more about my high blood pressure, cholesterol, prostate, heart , ... more than dying from botulism. Statistically I have a higher chance to win Lotto or get struck by lightening than botulism.
    YMMV.

Seysonn

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No body here wants anyone to get sick and all of the comments are appreciated. Good clean discussion, thank you all.

Lets be realistic here. The FDA clearly states that clostridium botulinum is killed when exposed to 80 degrees Centigrade (176f) for ten minutes.

Ajsmoma, it is true that oil has sealing and insulating properties as does all known matter. In order for an oil to insulate a microscopic organism from 200 degrees for 30 minutes the layer of cold oil surrounding the "spore" would have to be enormously thick. If you would like me to do some math on it for you, ill start a thread on the subject and maybe help ease some of your worries.

Good cooking and cleaning standards are all you need when in doubt... I'm with seysson

dj

This post was edited by djoy on Sat, Nov 22, 14 at 22:26

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

I'm sorry but your numbers are incorrect. 176 sounds low but that probably means to kill the non spores, boiling water doesn't even kill the spores. for that you need to hit 250, which is why they use pressure canners/retorts for LACF.

great cooking and cleaning standards are all you need indeed, but that includes cooking things to the right temperatures.

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the link http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/CausesOfIllnessBadBugBook/ucm070000.htm

Maybe I miss read it?? They also state "Most of the 10 to 30 outbreaks that are reported annually in the United States are associated with inadequately processed, home-canned foods, but occasionally commercially produced foods have been involved in outbreaks. Sausages, meat products, canned vegetables and seafood products have been the most frequent vehicles for human botulism.
    " and the article describes its effects well. Not a pretty thing to mess with.

dj

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Perhaps those recommendations cover other bacteria and viruses.? I was also surprised by the temp but it should be noted that it is in reference to only one of the many hazardous things out there.

dj

• seysonn
    9 years ago

djoy,
    You have not misread it. Here is a quote from the FDA article in the link:
    ----
    The toxin is heat labile and can be destroyed if heated at 80ðC for 10 minutes or longer.
    -----
    Now this is for food items with a pH of 4.6 and higher, as the article says. This means that the "Clostridium botulinums " either cannot survive in acidic environment or if it doe survive cannot produce spores.

It also says that (if the food was poison in the first place) but you re heat it before ingestion the spores should be destroyed.

Also, it says the annual incident in USA is about 20-25. And not every case results in death. I think 5-6 death (I have read in another article)

Once again, good safe food handling is vital, in general, Botulism or not. But with Botulism I put it in perspective .

This post was edited by seysonn on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 0:50

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm laughing rite now, only because of the name misspellings. Sorry. seysonn.

PLEASE!! PEOPLE READING THIS THREAD.

Dont forget that botulism is only one of many things that can make people sick from not being clean, cooking thoroughly and making sure your caned(or canned, both could hurt) goods with, intended, extended shelf lives have proper ph levels after all of the above.

OH! And I am Not an authority on the subject. I'm a student.

djaaay

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Sorry, "DJOY ".or "dj" hehe
    I edited my post to reflect your correct member name.

Seysonn

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Just to add to the oil issue I found this> Preserving in oil and vinegar/Marinating summerâÂÂs harvest.

I did stop and wonder at the instructions, though, which said to store the jars at 50 to 59 degrees for at least one to two months (and up to one year) before consuming. Without canning.

I donâÂÂt doubt that generations have had success with this traditional method of preservation, but I do doubt my ability to recreate it safely.

I do not possess a cool, dark cellar. And I know about botulism. Oil keeps air away from food, and slows the growth of spoiling agents. But Clostridium botulinum, the bacterium that causes botulism, becomes active in warm, anaerobic environments.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

yeah, anything is possible but the question it what the rate of its prbability to occure.
    The Clostridium botulinum and its spores HAVE TO be present in the ingredient in the first place to germinate/multiply under certain conditions, IF it has no been destroyed.

Unlike many bad bacterium that exist in the air , Clostridium botulinum, is generally soil born and may exist in some see food and animals intestint.

Final Word:
    Botulisim is a fact and deadly too but the occurance of foodborne botulism is very rare. According to FDA and CDC , in average 24 case reported per year in USA. Out which 2 deaths resulted.
    In the final analysis, one should organize his priorities in the order of their importance. For me botulism is not even in my list. It POSSIBLE that one day I might die of it but it is more likely that I might win the lotto or get striked with a lightening.

Seysonn

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Botulism scares me...since my friend & her husband both suffered, but luckily lived.

It wasn't oil, and it was a commercial product bought in 'good' store.
    She was not expected to live. About 5mo in coma, and recovery well over 2yrs. He was little luckier since he consumed same product maybe week or more later, and by then hospital was able to diagnose and help him much faster.

My mother canned a lot, her mushrooms in oil & vinegar were best I ever had. I still can (some) - just trying to do it 'right way', & I also buy some canned products. Just try to do it 'right way'.

Sorry, had to chime in since I have seen what it does.
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 13:42