Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkapeckopickldpepprz

New growth stunted on Jalapenos

I have a few plants that I transplanted that were not doing so well but there were plenty of Jalapenos growing but the new growth was a dusty green color and the growth tips seemed shrivelled and dry. The mature leave are a bit wrinkled as well. The other plants that are doing well have normal newe growth that looks healthy. Any idea what causes this distorted new growth?

Comments (9)

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Do you feed them? What?

What are they planted in?

Got pics?

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Feed them with Fish Emulsion 5-1-1 and Epsom salts not too often, maybe once a month if that.

Here is another jalapeno plant growing in another container right next to the stunted one. Nice and healthy leaves. It gets the same water/fert. treatment. Only the Jalapeno plants I had transplanted are stunted with puckered/wrinkled leaves.

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are all planted in a similar peat/compost/bark/perlite mix. I switched to this as the potting soil mixture was retaining too much moisture after heavy rain in the late summer Aug/Sept. here in Florida. I have repotted these plants about a month ago.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

My first thought is that it looks like some sort of physical damage: hot dry air, if it were inside, or maybe it got knocked over. Have you ruled out insect pests? Have you checked the roots to see if anything is going on below the soil line? Ah, as I was going along, I know what it reminded me of, are there ants in that pot? That pepper looks a lot like the ones in my garden did when the ants were farming aphids on the roots. Those are my best ideas at helping to figure out what's going on. Cheers!

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's never been indoors, and they are right next to the healthy plants so no hot dry air to speak of. I repotted these a month or so ago with the reason they looked stressed due to too much water retention in the old pots they were in. The roots looked fine despite the potting soil to have too much moisture. No root rot or ants in the pots.

I saw a similar looking symptoms with the mild mottled mosaic pepper virus. Anyone that has dealt with that first hand to verify if that is what I am dealing with here?

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

any other thoughts?

• romy6
    11 years ago

I would say it is bacterial. I also live in Florida and have noticed anytime it rains I start to see the same thing. Remove the damaged leaves and spray with a 1/2skim milk 1/2water solution on tops and bottoms of leaves. May have to do sveral applications. Starting to wonder what is in are rain. Whatever it is it cannot be good:(

• rdback
    11 years ago

Hi pickld, been a while.

I gotta say when I first saw your pic I immediately thought "over-fertilized". Puckered leaves, margin burns, etc. But, occasional fish emulsion/epson salt isn't gonna hurt.

Could be nitrogen burn. How about animals. You got a dog who has decided to "water" this pot? How about a cat who's taken a fancy to a new litter box with a pepper plant accent? Or, have YOU been gettin lazy and don't feel like heading inside to the bathroom? It can happen! lol

I dunno. Good luck with it.

Rick

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Perhaps broad mites? Much smaller than the more common spider mites and with different damage.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert