Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ethiopian Berbere Pepper Popper pics....!

Posted by greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 23:29

The freeze hit us November 9th this year, and so the pepper season is finally at an end.
I had to harvest the last of my Ethiopian Berberes in the green stage, but at least several were full-size.
What to do, what to do? Well, I decided that I'd slice them, fill with cream cheese, wrap with bacon,
and then bake until crisp. And that's what I did tonight :-)

Step one: select some nice pods (ignore that blemish! hehe).

Photobucket

Step two: slice, remove seeds. I scalped them so they'd lay flat.

Photobucket

Step three: fill with cream cheese.

Photobucket

Step four: wrap with bacon.

Photobucket

Step five: bake in oven at 375F for 10 - 20 minutes. If you want more crisp, broil until finished.
Serve hot (well, when cool enough to eat). The flavor was phenomenal...sure, it tasted like a green
pepper, but not at all bitter like a Bell pepper. I knew the skin was going to be a bit tough,
and it was....yet overall I didn't find it a problem at all. Surprisingly there was even a little heat.
This was the first time I'd cooked these and it was ridiculously easy!

*I should have wrapped 'em end ta end with bacon. Shameful how much cream cheese is showin'! ;-)

Photobucket

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ethiopian Berbere Pepper Popper pics....!

Man o man looks tasty Josh!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Thanks, Jaime! They were delish! ;-)

Josh

o

Josh they look very delish! Do you know a filling to use for a non cream cheese fan?

Mark

o

Thanks, Mark! Well, that's a good question...
I'm sure there are several others who can offer great substitutes, so I'll defer to them.
I know some folks mix in shredded cheddar, too.

Josh

o

@habjolokia - you don't like cream cheese or not a fan of cheese in general? If no cheese (or only a little) you could try something sausage based (think stuffed mushrooms). Bet that would be good and work well.

o

Thanks tsheets, I do like cheese just not a fan of cream cheese. I do like the idea of sausage with some cheese mixed in, stuffed in peppers and bacon wrapped. Great idea will have to try that soon.

Mark

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 19:47

habjolokia: Try Mozerella cheese instead of cream cheese. I found that stuffing jalapenos with a mixture of ground italian sausage and mozerella cheese was yummy. THe Bacon wrap would suffice for the italian sausage and is probably easier.
Bruce

o

You can use cheddar as the primary cheese and add any number of other ingredients. My stuffing is rather complex.

Cream cheese is then merely a binder. You just need something sticky to hold the goodies inside the pepper, so maybe bree? tofu? library paste?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here