Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwinter plants??

Posted by ruthz DFW/TX (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 15, 11 at 23:34

I have a few plants I might try to overwinter in my makeshift greenhouse (covered & insulated canopy).
Fatali
Tobago Seasoning
Trinidad Seasoning
Beaver Dam
Tennessee Cheese

Do you cut it back?
What will the advantage be of overwintering instead of planting new seeds?
Hopefully more pepper all year instead of just in the late summer and fall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwinter plants??

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 1:41

Overwintering will enable a much longer growing season and in your case, year round. Sure you could cut them back but if you can keep them warm enough (50 degrees) plus, you can probably just leave them be and let them continue to put out blooms and pods all winter long. Overwintering in Wisconsin isn't practical unless you keep the plants indoors. To keep them indoors, it is probably advisable to cut them way back but if you have a greenhouse with adequate temp regulation and room, I would let them continue to produce all winter.
I have two Hot Hungarian Wax plants and a Bhut Jolokia trimmed back during the long winter, waiting for spring. My Bhut was over three feet tall and four feet wide when I trimmed it back. Here is what it looked like when I first trimmed it:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here