Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronnyb123

2014 Holiday Seed Swap (Thread Four)

ronnyb123
9 years ago

Since the 2014 seed swap "packs to Johnny" part of this is over, I thought this could be more of a " Thank you Johnny for all the hard work to come, for the seeds, etc" and/or any other issues involved with the swap that could develop while we wait.

Here is a link that might be useful: pepper swap thread #3

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 1:21

Comments (150)

• jtight
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Receipt/Tracking shows Mon/Tues arrival (Domestic). For our friends to the north (Canada) it shows Friday/Saturday.

Enjoy!!!

PepperClaus

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Thanks so much PepperClaus. I wonder if your son knows he lives with PepperClaus? Have a great night!

• kchd
    9 years ago

Johnny Pepper seed, you are amazing!

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Johnny, you are the man! You've managed to sort all those seeds, package them up in a very reasonable amount of time. You are my hero!!! I see my caterpillar is on a box! What could come of that?!

We are building a plant stand with growing lights. It would be awesome to have these peppers producing early in the season. I can't wait to see what I get!

Thank you Johnny you are awesome! Merry Christmas!!!!

• jtight
    9 years ago

Hopefully everyone will be pleased w/ outcome. Keep us apprised of your receipt.

Johnny (aka PepperClaus)

• garretds7
    9 years ago

PepperClaus, Thanks a bunch for all the peppers! I'm thinking I may get mine in on Monday! Me being in the same state as you! The mail man better not take too long, Haha! I'll be looking out there every time I hear a vehicle.
    I think you should rename the Pepper Swap next year...

Pepper Claus's Naughty and Nice Pepper List
    (Super hot = Naughty and Sweet = Nice)

Something like that anyway.

• Crystal Nading
    9 years ago

I just got my seeds in the mail this morning over here in Indiana. Can't wait to start deciding where I'm going to put everything! I hope everyone else is as excited with theirs as I am with mine. Thanks again Johnny!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

They haven't made it to Wisconsin yet. Santa must have been delayed on the Illinois Toll roads again this year.

• garretds7
    9 years ago

The mailman is usually here by 3:30. Something tells me he'll be late today, lol!

• amberroses
    9 years ago

I got my seed present today. Wow. I have enough pepper seeds to last me for several lifetimes and enough interesting varieties to research for the next day or two. Thanks so much to Johnny for taking the time to organize this and thanks to everyone who so generously donated seeds. Merry Christmas.

• SoCarRob (Zone 7)
    9 years ago

Woohoo! Pepper mail today! Thanks so much Johnny and everyone who contributed! Looking forward to next year!

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

Yay! The post office managed to get them all the way to the West Coast already! Thank you again, Johnny!

Is there going to be a trade thread by any chance? Being a newbie I wasn't lucky enough to get anything on my list (Aleppo, Jimmy Nardello, Hinklehatz,) but did end up with multiples of the some (6 Big Guy jalapenos is more than I can plant! :) ) so I'll be happy to continue to spread the pepper love if anyone needs those.

I hope no one perceives that as any kind of complaint because it's not- I'm over the moon with this package and can't wait to finish what I'm working on today so I can start looking up each variety and making notes!

• Mike Biondo
    9 years ago

So, Johnny,,,

Did you come up short on the postage?

I was at the post office today to mail a package. They told me for anything over a 1/4" thick the MINIMUM postage is $3.24. From your picture it looked like every one was over a 1/4".

I hope everyone checks the amount of postage that was on the seeds they received, and if you didn't send Johnny enough $$$$ to cover that postage, please make a contribution via Johnny's PayPal account.

Thanks again Johnny for all you put in on the Holiday Swap!

Mike

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

Got my seeds today as well. Thank you to everyone that sent in seeds and thank you Johnny for putting this together and getting the seeds out. I would say this was a huge success.

• jtight
    9 years ago

@Mike - Costs were cov'd w/ the add'l contributions made, via paypal by yourself a/ others. Appreciate it

Johnny

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

Bad info from the post office, MikeBiondo. A First Class Parcel starts at $1.93 for one ounce and goes up from there.

I received 30 packages of seeds and with tracking on the package it cost Johnny $2.32 to ship to me coast to coast.

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got mine from pepper santa today. Thank you Johnny for sending it out so quickly and all the hard work you did. You did an excellent job since this was way bigger than last year.

I also didnt get everything on my wish list either so maybe we could trade among ourselves. I got multiple pepper packs (12 starfish packs for instance- among others) that I wont use. I can trade these out to those who want some (SASE).

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Mon, Dec 22, 14 at 18:41

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

Hi Johnny
    I got my pepper seeds today and as a pepper newbie, I am overwhelmed and amazed at what you've sent. This goes beyond my wildest dreams!

So I'd like to mention how grateful I am to all who gave so generously. I can only imagine how much hard work you've put into this as well as the job that Johnny has done.

Thank you for making this such a great garden-y Christmas, my dear Pepper Claus!

Susie

Anybody else's eyes burning?

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Veda,

i beleive it is $2.32 for a parcel under 3 oz. then 18 cents each aditional oz. I haven't seen $1.92 for a couple years now, but they could be ripping me off. Every once in a while they will let it go as a flat. In that case, it's $1.10

Johnny,

Mailman made it to Ohio today Thanks, John

• ryang23
    9 years ago

Absolutely incredible, Johnny. Can't thank you and the good folks here at garden web enough. Mostly excited about the brain strain, peach bhuts, aleppo, and yellow fatali!

Bruce, I'm in northern IL. Probably the last stop Santa could make due to these wacky tolls. Got a lot of your seeds. Thanks bud!

• SoCarRob (Zone 7)
    9 years ago

Honestly, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of seeds and the variety I received. Top notch Johnny. Only one thing from my wish list was missing but I also understand about the limited supply of some varieties. More than made up for it however with the surprise varieties I received that were on my secret wish list you didn't know about! I'm so very grateful to you all. Thank you!

• botanicat
    9 years ago

I got mine today. Great variety and things I really wanted. Thanks so much for your effort, Johnny, and to all who contributed. Looking forward to January planting time now.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Johnny -- I received my seeds today. Thanks a ton! I can hardly believe you managed to do all this in the middle of holiday chaos. Again, thank you so much.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I got my package today as well.

I received almost 37 varieties and close to 50 bags.

But out of 7 on my wish list I just got 3 of them.

Thanks Johnny .

Seysonn

• sdambr
    9 years ago

Thank you Johnny! I received pepper seeds today some wants, some others more than I can plant in the next few years. Going to be tough to decide, this year, next year and so on. Lol. Wondering if they should be kept frozen, as I have a lifetime supply.
    Merry Christmas to all.

• ozzy2001
    9 years ago

Pepper Claus came!!! I'm so excited and overwhelmed by all the seeds. I also got all my t8 fixtures today for my grow shelves too. I can't wait to start germinating. Thank you again to everyone involved. I am extremely grateful. Have a wonderful holiday.

• pepperchuck
    9 years ago

Thanks Johnny! Got what I asked for and then some (I had a small "specifics" list)!

Are those albino trinidad congo a breed of yours? They are f1's and very much looking forward to growing them out!

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

My package made it here today and with so many new varieties! I have some research in my future but was told the seeds stay here and don't go on vacation with us tomorrow. This is torture!

Thank you Johnny! You did a fantastic job!!!

• randy355
    9 years ago

Thanks Johnny my package made it here and now I just need a couple years to plant them all

@ seysonn , What were you looking for I have a few on your list Fatalii (Yellow) ,Scotch Bonnet (Yellow) ,Scotch Bonnet (Red) ,Scotch Bonnet (MOA) ,and should have a couple fresh Fatalii (Chocolate) out on the plants and a lot of the super hots let me know if I can help you out

• jtight
    9 years ago

@PChuck - Yes. Grow them out next year a/ let me know output. Trying to see if it can be stablized.

Johnny

• seysonn
    9 years ago

@ Randy,
    Thanks a lot for your kindly offer.
    SCOTCH BONNET (any color) had been number one ever since I started a thread about it. Fatalii was the next. Luckily I got seeds for yellow type. CHOC. HAB was also on my list The last one (recommended by Johnny) was Aji Habanero.
    All those seeds were in Johnny's inventory but probably not enough of them to go around.

At this point, I don't want to get involved any further. I think I have got enough choices for 2015.

Seysonn

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

A giant stash of pepper seeds arrived in my mail box, I did a quick run through. I am extremely pleased with the assortment and the varieties. Just opening the envelope, unmistakable bhut scent and they are in there! New to me colors, too. Things I asked for and things where he read my mind. Many, many things I will be looking up. Vast quanity, multitudes. Thank you, Sir Pepper. Thanks to all the participants, these seeds are well labeled and in good shape. It takes a village for this swap. Someone grow out the Vesna Elephant and Guam Boonie and Yellow Blush Bhut Jolokia for next year. And the Caramel Bhut Jolokia and Aji Pineapple.

Mary E.

This post was edited by cottonwood468 on Thu, Dec 25, 14 at 10:53

• ryang23
    9 years ago

Mary, I was lucky enough to get Vesna Elephant but would be willing to trade you for something in the hot to nuclear category. Let me know

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Emailed you, Ry ... GW email doesn't always work.

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Johnny PepperClaus delivered seeds to my house this morning. I am grateful for the time you spent for time is precious. I really appreciate the seeds that everyone donated and hope to be able to donate next year. Sending thank u hugs to u and ur family.Give an extra hug to ur son because I know you had to be away from him while you were sorting/stuffing/postoffice.

• garretds7
    9 years ago

I got my package yesterday! Thanks Johnny for all the hard work! I don't know what I'd do with 5,000 seed packs. I know one thing for certain, it would take me much longer to sort out that mound! I'm very meticulous in every thing I do. It's a monster in me, lol. My line of work was in remodeling, so, it always took me longer to complete the job. And... I Love to work with wood. I couldn't have anyone work with me because they'd sit around. It had to be done my way, lol. My son always complained to me about that. Poor kid.

Everyone's seed packs made me want to get a printer! It looked to be easier to get more information in there on the variety. As I said, I'm meticulous, and made me feel like I did a sloppy job on the ones I sent. Even writing them on a piece of paper and slipping it in the pack looked much better. So Thanks for all the efforts everyone placed into putting their packs together - very impressed! And... I didn't see very many seeds that didn't look unhealthy.

Seysonn, I got a Chocolate Habanero seed packet from Peppers_Galore in my package. He sent a generous amount of seeds (I think he just dumped those babies in there - very nice). I'd be more than happy to split it up with ya. No need to SASE. Shoot me an email with your address: Garretds7@gmail.com
    I was gonna try to send you an email, but I don't think you have yours set up in there. Gardenweb is NOT good for sending emails through their system, lol. I always send it direct now.
    Ronny123, I'd be interested in some trades. I need to finish up with a few other trades before I go into any more. Maybe I've got some your looking for. I think you mentioned the Cambuci? I've got 7 Yuba Tuba Cambuci's (maybe it's Uba Tuba?). I read somewhere in here that somebody mentioned it. I'm guessing that it was you? Might be wrong.
    That Aji Limon! There was a small piece of the dried pepper in the seed pack. Yeah, I can't help myself to wanna try it. Good stuff - excellent taste! Are all Aji's like that? It was from Bruce (esox07). You must've sent a tremendous amount of seeds in for me to get 6 packs of those from you too.

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Garretds7

nope.. wasn't me that mentioned Cambuci. I got 3 of the Yuba Tuba (remove the Y). I got 12 Starfish though (1 for you if you want)

Email me whenever your ready.

Ron

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

That's funny about the Chocolate Habs. I was shooting for about 25 seeds per pack. I like to make sure that there are enough if there is a problem and there is a need to start a second or third batch. Those are good seeds though, I think 11 of the 12 I tested germinated. I have plenty more if anyone was missed along with a lot of the other varieties I sent. My hands were burning for weeks seeding them, so no need for them to go to waste.

• brian6464
    9 years ago

Received my seeds today. It's an unseasonably warm 30 degrees here in Minneapolis and when I opened my mailbox, all I could smell through the fresh crisp air was pepper seeds.

Thanks Johnny.

Anyway, I got about 80 packages. I did a real quick review and there are probably only 10 to 12 multiples.

Once I do a full inventory and cross reference with my own personal seedstock, I will post what I have available for free/trade.

Merry Christmas to all....

• sandysgardens
    9 years ago

Johnny,

I received my Wonderful seed package in Tuesday's mail. I am VERY pleased with the selection you sent - all are great.

Each year it becomes more difficult to decided what to plant; and this coming year will be no different! Between the seeds from this swap, what I plan to grow again from personal inventory, what I've received in a few trades this year, and what I’ve ordered I’m in trouble. I will definitely need to add more 5 gal buckets, squeeze more into veggie garden and pop them in here and there throughout the flower beds at home and at the lake. Neighbors might find a few tucked in their gardens as well!

Again, thanks for hosting the swap and doing such a GREAT job!

Wishing everyone a bountiful Pepper growing season!
    Sandy

• lexiegurl09
    9 years ago

Thank you so much Johnny!!! I received my envelope yesterday and was blown away with all the different seeds I got! I have enough to last me the rest of my life lol. I am going to have to google a lot of them though as I don't know anything about them :) once again, thank you and I look forward to participating next year!!!

• backwoodswife
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Just received my seed pack! Thank you so much Johnny and everyone!!
    Very excited about all the new varieties! I'm just burning to get them started :) Happy Holidays to everyone!! Thanks again! Lisa

• Bill_Missy
    9 years ago

Hello all and Merry Christmas!

I received my package of seeds today.... Thank you Johnny and to all members that participated. This was a great year for seed exchange. I received 53 packs of 40 varieties. Thank you again for your time, effort and dedication to your mission Johnny you did GREAT.

Now we need to start a thread to explain some of these varieties lol...

Bill

• beverly_
    9 years ago

Anybody have some chocolate habs, Trinidad scorpions or scotch bonnets they would like to trade? I got everything on my wish list except these. Shoot me an email or inbox me for what you would like to trade :)

Thanks Johnny!! P.s. My mom also called me to say she got her package and is starting a pot indoors for all her varieties. I have no clue how she'll do that but I can't tell her no with a love like that for peppers. I get it from my mama :p

This post was edited by beverly_ on Wed, Dec 24, 14 at 16:05

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Santa stopped by the mailbox this morning but no Seeds in his bag. I hope they didn't fall off his sleigh and he will find them and deliver them later this week.
    Bruce

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Hey, I love days when the post office has to pull into my drive way and honk! Thankfully, I just finished making the Delce de Leche Cheesecake and the table was completely cleaned off for me to open my awesome caterpillar box!!! I got to touch every single one of those packs of pepper seed!!! Most of these types, I've never heard of, being new to the world of peppers. I can't wait to look them up and get to germinating.

You helped rock my Christmas Eve.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Merry Christmas Johnny Pepper Claus and Family!!

Promise :)

• scorion1
    9 years ago

Got mine today.Thank you Johnny and everyone else involved with this swap.Without all of you,there would not be one. Thanks again Happy Holidays to everyone and may your year be filled with lots of peppers.

• Bill_Missy
    9 years ago

Beverly email me I have all that you are looking for (I emailed you but it was kicked back)

LAMEG@Cebridge.net

Bill

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

I got the package in the mail today.

Ugh the USPS here runs at least a day behind the world for delivery of the mail here. Though getting them on Christmas I feel to fitting. I am very pleased.

Thank you to all that gave seeds without your kindness it would not have been possible. Thank you Johnny for all that you did it was likely the hardest thing to do of all of it.

Merry Christmas to all.

Nathan Guilliams
    In Temple, Tx.

• jennifer_flinch
    9 years ago

Johnny,
    I received my seeds today, thank you very much, and have a very jolly Christmas and all the best for the new year.

Jennifer
    Atlanta, GA.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994