Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phildeez_gw

Noob macro shots

Phildeez
10 years ago

Hello everybody, have not been very active lately but i harvested my remaining pepps and took a few decent macro shots. Its a new lense and I am a noob photographer so I would love some critiques from anyone knowledgeable out there.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Hahaha. "NOOB"???, I don't think so. You are as experienced as anybody can be. Good job !

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That means a ton man thanks! Although I am a noob, hehe. So much to learn but I got a few pointers that really helped, namely the low iso and slow shutter speed.

• Chad5
    10 years ago

NIce pics and peppers! Winter stinks and this helps so keep them coming!

• willardb3
    10 years ago

These are close-ups, not macros. Macro is >1:1 magnification.
    You can use a smaller f-stop for more depth of field and then all the chiles would be in focus..

• User
    10 years ago

Nice shots Phildeez.

I concur with willard3, technically macro is >1:1 magnification and requires either a dedicated "macro" lens or a lens with macro capabilities.

Regardless of whether you're doing macro or close up, here's a few suggestions based on my experience...

- When possible, use a tripod;

- Turn off auto focus, manual will give you greater control;

- It may sound counter intuitive and won't work in all situations but when you can, you'll find fine focusing easier by first doing a rough focus manually and then fine focusing by moving the subject or camera (try it);

- Fill light (using reflectors or flash) is your friend;

- Consciously pick a point of focus and control how much foreground and background is sharp (depth of field) by adjusting your aperture (f-stop);

- pay attention to your background, especially if using deeper depth of field;

- Finally, play around with settings and shoot, shoot, shoot.

FWIW,

Bill

• tsheets
    10 years ago

The hardest part of macro is getting enough Depth of Field. The closer you are to your subject (as well as the longer the focal length) the less DoF you will have. This is great if that's what you want, but, in macro it can be too shallow.

So, as others mentioned, using a smaller aperture will give more DoF, but, that will also cut your light. Using a flash will take care of that (positioning is a whole other topic). Also, by using a flash, you don't have to worry so much about shutter speed, as the flash duration is very very short.

It's definitely fun to play with and I think your shots are pretty good.

Also, with newer cameras, the noise control at higher ISOs is much better than it used to be, so don't be afraid to crank the ISO (within reason) if needed. I have a Canon 7D and don't think twice about ISO400.

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice and kind words! I suppose you are right that these are not true macro. Lets call them closeups! I used a 24-70mmD, 1:2.8 Sigma lens and the camera is your basic Sona A100 so I can't ask for too much.

I actually like the shallow depth of field for this "macro type" photography so that was deliberate. Although I would like to experiment with true macro now.

It sounds like you guys concur that more DOF would improve these shots in your opinions, is that right?

The tripod was difficult to position it within such a short distance of the peppers, a monopod would be nice for this. I did use manual focus and began noticing that it is easier to fine-tune it by physically moving the camera, very useful tip there.

I need a flash damper before I can well experiment with that, my hand is just not consistent enough and my flash is direct only.

All tips welcome! Already learned a lot, thanks again.

• naturemitch
    10 years ago

Increased DOF may improve these shots, but it is all in what you are going for. Take your last shot for instance. This pic has much more DOF, but notice the window sill in the background is pretty distinct. Remember, increased DOF will sharpen your background as well, sometimes to where it is distracting. Play with different F-stops and see what pleases you. Or just be aware of what your background is and use it to pop out your peppers in the foreground.

Just a note, my dedicated macro lens only goes up to 1:1. A true macro lens does 1:1, which is life-size. A few go beyond this magnification, but not many.

Oh, and you are shooting with a cable release right? Must have if you are doing any tripod work.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH