Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Diagnose Curling Leaves, Plse

seysonn
9 years ago

The Plant: (Pictured Below)
A Red Hab brought in for overwintering.
Before bringing it inside, I both root pruned and top pruned. It had no single leaf on it then,
It took a while until it started growing shoots. Now some of the shoots are about 4" long with 8 leaves on each.

The Problem:

As can be seen, the leaves are rolling/curling in a tubular fashion.
I thoroughly checked under light with magnifying glass. There is no evidence of any pest. I also checked the soil. No insects there either. I found an Earth worm. hahaha

The leaves are normal green (slightly on the light side) and bumpy. I have fertilized it once with a very very weak solution. The soil is 5-1-1 with excellent drainage. But it is kept moist.

So what do you thing ? Problem ?

Appreciate your opinion.

Seysonn.

Comments (6)

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

In researching this my vote is stress. The next two paragraphs are lifted from an article on the web that hits on the two things you did to the plant recently:

Other cultural conditions also can result in leaf roll. Severe pruning, which is more of a concern for indeterminate tomato varieties than determinate varieties, can leave the plants stressed. Avoid removing too many leaves or stems at one time, and instead prune the plants over the course of several days so they can recover.
    Root damage and transplant shock usually affect only newly planted seedlings. Avoid disturbing the roots when transplanting pepper and tomato plants, and transplant on an overcast day to minimize shock in the plants. Peppers and tomatoes usually recover from shock on their own when they continue to be watered properly. Digging around the bases of established plants or weeding too closely to the tomato or peppers can cut their large roots and cause their foliage to curl. Some die back may occur, but the plants usually recovers when the root damage isn't too severe. Prune off the curled, dead portions of the plants, and continue to keep the soil moist but not soggy when root damage is suspected.

Here is a link that might be useful: curling pepper plant leaves site:forums.gardenweb.com8

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a bunch NEC, for doing a search and expressing your opinion.

Let us here more views and opinions .

Seysonn

• randy355
    9 years ago

Some of the lights especially LED's deplete calcium and magnesium at an accelerated rate. Also if you use RO or filtered water it strips the minerals and they need to be replaced.
    Had the same issue with my plants in a hydroponic system and cal mag twice a week snapped them right back.
    Even when overwintering indoors like to use something like Fox Farms Big Bloom ( 0.01 - 0.3 - 0.7 ) not harsh but full of trace and good bacteria keeps the plant healthy without crazy growth

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a lot NEC and randy.

I think my plant is trying to adjust. And maybe (?) I did over fertilize it in an attempt to push it a bit.

I will give it a light dose of Cal/Mag and stop fertilizing it for a while.As long as it is not a pest or disease , I can live with that.

Seysonn

• daveintexas
    9 years ago

Great post and excellent information, northeast_chileman!

@randy355, @seysonn - Magnesium Deficiency and Calcium Deficiency each have specific characteristic symptoms, none of which are visible on this plant, which is instead exhibiting symptoms for something else entirely.

Nor is this plant displaying the most obvious symptom of even moderate over-fertilization.

I think Occam's Razor applies here - If you inflict massive physical injury to a plant, and the plant then exhibits symptoms associated with that type of injury, then the cause of these symptoms is most likely NOT a micronutrient deficiency! ;)

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks dave

I sure did a lot of injury to the plant by topping it so severely that there was no single leaf on it. ALSO with my hand shovel I trimmed its roots in a rough fashion then just stuffed it into a smaller pot. hahaha
    I have read that a lot of people top prune and root prune their overwintering plants. So this symptom should be a common place !!

But good news is that it is rebounding. It has 3 nice shoots that are growing under the less than ideal lighting condition

I really didn't think seriously that its is nutes problem for sure. Because it is in the same soil that it has been all season and that had been fed regularly.

Ok. Thank you all. I am optimistic that my Red Hab will survive and I hope that it will fruit much earlier in 2015. I will start a couple from its own seeds anyway.

Seysonn

This post was edited by seysonn on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 20:16

Sponsored