Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grubby_az

Popeye's, Bhuts, and BS...

Popeye's chicken is now starting an ad campaign that promises a "dash" of "ghost pepper" in their "ghost pepper wings".

Aside from the obvious BS, how much is a dash? It it a gram of ground dried pepper in each serving of a dozen wings? Is it a milligram of bhut in a fifty gallon drum of vinegary sauce? Is it detectable? Is this nothing but tasteless (both definitions) machismo?

(Of course it is. Vive la fête!)

I'm a wimp. No brag; just fact. I'd actually like to be able to eat something good made with the stuff without being totally distracted by that over-the-top burn, and that's what it does, it totally distracts. Looking for something tasty you'd go back for more of without sweating enough to alarm bystanders.

I have never eaten anything by Mister Popeye. Is this worth a try?

Comments (10)

• tomt226
    9 years ago

I eat Popeye's all the time, but I've never tried those wings. Church's Fried Chicken is way spicer than Popeye's, if you get the "extra spicy." It's just a marketing gimmick as Ghosts are becoming the "thing" now. They probably just put a little extract in the sauce. I don't care for vinegary sauces anyway, so I just get it home and put my own stuff on it...

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

note the habaneros in the background of the picture...

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

I also wondered this when I saw the advertisement, so I did what any heat lover would do, I went and bought some. I didn't expect much. I have also tried Red Robin's Ghost pepper burger. I was disappointed by that one, at least as far as heat was concerned.
    As I took my first bite, my initial thought was this hardly has any heat. I was surprised when a few seconds later I felt a little bite on my tongue. Was it like eating a raw Ghost pepper? No. Will you fall to the ground in tears? No. It is however, in my humble opinion, a great representation of a Ghost pepper product for the average consumer. It has just enough heat to let you know you're eating something special. It had a slow build, and lingered as it passed through my digestive system. I think we are all apprehensive when we see an advertisement for a Ghost pepper product. I was however pleasantly surprised this time. I suggest you try the product before you write it off.

Tim

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Saw the commercial last night....and, as is almost always the case, the pods shown were Nagas or Naga hybrids.

Josh

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

There is a Ghost Pepper Beer out there. I tried some with a friend and it did have a Ghost taste and was hot as hell.
    I do not recommend this beer to anyone who thinks the whole thing ,but if you have about 10 other people to share it with its a must have.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

There seems to be a trend in serving hot chicken wings, at least. I have heard about buffalo hot wings before. Probably soon McDonalds or KFC will jump in. There seems to be a demand out there. There are a lot of Hispanics, E.Indians , Chinese, Koreans, ...among US population who love hot stuff. Just look at the grocery store shelves. I remember years ago Tabasco was the lone ranger.
    Looking good for our own Jason.

Seysonn

• User
    9 years ago

Love Popeye's I always thought church's was to greasy. To bad I moved to where the nearest Popeye's is in troutdale Oregon About 3,hours away lol
    Randal

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Toolstack,
    You can get bad franchise stores anywhere. I've been to Popeye's where the crap was inedible. Not so with Churches.
    Maybe you got a bad one...

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Seysonn......KFC has had hot wings for at least a year, if not longer. McDonalds had hot wings for a while, but I think they took them off the menu. They weren't very good.

Tim

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Try a bottle of this with your hot wings.

Sponsored