Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for 2011?

Posted by tlowery04 6b/7a (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 3:23

Hi!

I'm collecting seeds for my 2011 garden and am wondering what recommendations people had.

first: what i use them for - Primarily I dry my peppers and grind them into some delicious powdered spices in the fine setting on my coffee grinder. I also can salsa, pickle peppers and eat them in fajitas as a snack or quick meal.

I have a source for my Serrano and jalapeno peppers, I bought some nice prolific producers last year but did not save the seeds so i will hope they are the same plants this year.

I would love a good meaty large cayenne, recommendations for large or well producing jalapenos for making chipotle next fall, recommendations for Serrano, and I would love to grow some super hots or anything else that would be good dried and ground to give me a unique flavor to add to my recipes and kitchen spice cabinet.

ALSO I am interested in various other veggies and beneficial insect attracting flowers to control populations of beetles and caterpillars (thats how that works right?)

have a good one, I will be burning off my garden as soon as the wind dies down.

-Trent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for 2011?

If you are looking for something with a great/unique flavor I suggest trying some aji's.I've tried aji limon,aji yellow, and aji benito and they are all excellent!I will be growing beni highlands and aribibi gusano this year also which are supposed to be great for unique flavor also.As far as pickling peppers go I love monkey face peppers.As far as super hots go I think the yellow 7 pod is by far the tops.

o
RE: Suggestions for 2011?

A nice base for powder is Poblano/Ancho.

One that has a really unique flavor is the Fatalii.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here