Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing them hot, the hotter the better

Posted by fusion_power 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 3:30

I'd like to get input from experienced growers on ways to get the maximum heat out of peppers. Here are a few of my tricks that seem to work wonders.

Start out with genetics. You can't grow a really hot pepper if you start out with seed of a variety that does not normally get very hot. Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, Chocolate 7 Pot, Bhut Jolokia, etc are some of the varieties that will get over the 1 million Scoville mark.

I had excellent results this year from putting extremely high levels of organics into the soil before planting my peppers and adding more as the season progressed. I used 3.8 cubic feet of peat moss plus 10 bags of compost (40 lbs each) under 10 pepper plants. This area also had adequate rainfall that was spread very well over time. The result was the heaviest crop of peppers I've ever grown. The Moruga and Bhut peppers exceeded any heat level I've ever grown before.

So what are your favorite tips for growing them super hot?

DarJones

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing them hot, the hotter the better

Stress before picking, in any way imaginable.

Djole

o

Fortunately for me I live in MD so high humidity attributes to pepper heat and the use of Alaska fish fert 5-1-1 and mild to moderate stress. The variety of course helps.

Mark

o

Yup, stressed peppers crank up the heat in their pods. Generally this is why the peppers I pick in the middle of the summer are the hottest, simply because it is *SO* hot here (typically 100F+) and the soil dries out so quickly that the plants are always wilting fairly badly from the heat (aka they are stressed).

Thats the safest way I know of to stress peppers in order to make them hotter, withhold water for longer than you normally would.

o

I didn't know high humidity attributes to pepper heat. Humidity is
something we have a lot of here in summer.

o

Lack of water. Make sure they get good sun levels. Really, it is genetics and climate. My plants end up wilting between waters which is a good sign to water again. It stops me from ever over watering. Of course I never let them wilt too long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here