Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilliwin

How much do I know !

chilliwin
10 years ago

Sometimes I gave my opinions on growing problems. It is just an effort and willingness to help a fellow gardener. My opinions based on my practical experiences so it could be wrong. Diseases are so vast sometimes it is complicated to find the real cause of the problems.

I have been here sometimes, now I asked myself, how much do I know about chili cultivation, how many chili diseases I knew, how many books I have read and how long I have been growing chilies! :-)

Finally I found that I am not yet qualified to give advice to fellow growers. It does not mean I should stop giving opinions on the forum;-) Now I consider the opinions on the forum are also a kind of motivation and a good intention to help a fellow gardener. So before follow the advice, the opinion should be analysed, I think. From the opinions we may get a lot of good tips and the clues to find the real problems. Right or wrong having opinion is worth. Just an opinion.

What a silly subject just I made :-)

Caelian

Comments (9)

• tsheets
    10 years ago

I think it's a good post.

When I respond to a post trying to help someone, I usually describe what I would do or how I would handle the situation. Not that my way is best or right, but, it's what I would do based on my personal experience.

When I have a problem and ask for help, I look for consensus and analyze the advise based on my experience and my familiarity with the poster.

This is a great forum. I love the friendliness and knowledge here. But, it is the Internet after all.

• TheMasterGardener1
    10 years ago

If you grew chilis once then I would say your a pro, friend.

It can be as easy as filling some pots full of potting soil and using miracle gro all purpose light strength. Thats it.

I have NEVER had chilis get a disease. If you provide the right nutrients and water ratios, then not much can happen but a huge harvest....

This post was edited by TheMasterGardener1 on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 16:38

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I agree, Caelian and Tsheets. One needs to be able to sift through the advice given, and then evaluate that advice to measure its merit. After all, not all opinions carry equal weight.

In my case, I try to stick to my strengths, and avoid operating beyond the limits of my knowledge. I'm not good at Pest or Disease identification and diagnosis, and I'm only slightly better at identifying or diagnosing nutrient deficiency. When trying to help a grower, the first questions asked are about cultural conditions - potting mix, watering habits, light exposure, and nutrient regimen. With that information, we can draw a little nearer to providing an informed answer or solution...but without the full growing history and being able to observe the plant in front of us, it is quite difficult to speak with full accuracy.

Josh

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

honestly, I never take action based on an opinion given on here, unless that opinion is shared by more than one poster. that way I avoid making a big decision based on a single poster's opinion. no offense intended against any single poster, I just don't have enough experience to tell good advice from bad advice. but many of you on here are VERY experienced, so if 3 or 4 posters say something similar about a problem, I'm more confident that it's the right answer. I am willing to bet many readers on here do something similar.

• TheMasterGardener1
    10 years ago

Its tough to really get to know all of the diseases if all of your plants were always disease free. I know where greenman is coming from. It seems we stick to a simple approach, which was not always how I went about gardening until I learned some good info from members like greenman.

For example: some people may take a different approach and use a soil/medium that may have random organic material that can do unintended undesirable, and unpredictable effects to the plants. Not to say that is the only way your plants can get a disease, but using a sterile grow medium, fast acting synthetic fertilizer with all needed elements may help avoid all issues, which it has for me.

Cheers everyone

{{gwi:46009}}

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

What an intriguing post. I always take into consideration what opinions are offered and then do research and utilize my own knowledge base and if worse comes to worse I contact a garfener friend at Disney. I am intrigued by the technicqies they are experimenting with to grow all kinds of vegetables, fruits, spices, herbs, etc in small limited spaces and with soil forms of nuitrient based growing to allowing the plant roots to be open to air but constantly misted by nutrient enriched water. I observe each time I do the ride and then before I resign I am going backstage and get more advice and an up close view of the garden. I will have to go in the early morning before the park opens but that is okay with me. I am very interested in growing without soil or any form of soil but then I would need a greenhouse for some of the projects but then I can create the environment on my screened in back porch. The hydroponic techniques can be utilixed outside. However I have digressed from the topic and also remind that the zone you live in can create a big difference in growing techniques and diseases along with pests. Living in a sub tropical environment creates a toatally different growing experience from gardeners in colder areas of the United States or gardners out of the country. Yet when you take everything into perspective a lot of advice or opinions fit every plant. Peppers differ from one another as people differ and they have different needs and environments. Only true trial and maybe success or failure will let you know what is right for you. I take what is offered here and I know that some of the advice is excellent but then other advice does not work for me. Everyone who has ever grown peppers and had success is an expert in their specific peppers in their specific spot in the world. We all have something of value to offer and never be afraid to give your opinion. Some people may disagree with you and make you feel stupid but then some appreciate what you have to say. Just keep on sharing and giving your advice or opinion and that is what makes this forum so great.

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

What an intriguing post. I always take into consideration what opinions are offered and then do research and utilize my own knowledge base and if worse comes to worse I contact a garfener friend at Disney. I am intrigued by the technicqies they are experimenting with to grow all kinds of vegetables, fruits, spices, herbs, etc in small limited spaces and with soil forms of nuitrient based growing to allowing the plant roots to be open to air but constantly misted by nutrient enriched water. I observe each time I do the ride and then before I resign I am going backstage and get more advice and an up close view of the garden. I will have to go in the early morning before the park opens but that is okay with me. I am very interested in growing without soil or any form of soil but then I would need a greenhouse for some of the projects but then I can create the environment on my screened in back porch. The hydroponic techniques can be utilixed outside. However I have digressed from the topic and also remind that the zone you live in can create a big difference in growing techniques and diseases along with pests. Living in a sub tropical environment creates a toatally different growing experience from gardeners in colder areas of the United States or gardners out of the country. Yet when you take everything into perspective a lot of advice or opinions fit every plant. Peppers differ from one another as people differ and they have different needs and environments. Only true trial and maybe success or failure will let you know what is right for you. I take what is offered here and I know that some of the advice is excellent but then other advice does not work for me. Everyone who has ever grown peppers and had success is an expert in their specific peppers in their specific spot in the world. We all have something of value to offer and never be afraid to give your opinion. Some people may disagree with you and make you feel stupid but then some appreciate what you have to say. Just keep on sharing and giving your advice or opinion and that is what makes this forum so great.

• roper2008
    10 years ago

Giving your opinion is what these forums are all about.
    I've learned a lot from here. This was my very first
    gardening website I joined in 2008. I love growing
    peppers.

Tomatoes is another vegetable I cannot do without. It's
    interesting which one's taste good to different members.
    I've tried some that others recommended, and found that
    I did not care for them..I'm still glad that I tried them, and
    alway's try new one's the next year.

P.S. Pepper disease's I think are harder to diagnose that
    tomato disease's..

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Not that I disagree with what Caelian has sad in all modesty, But if we wait until we know everything positively, then that may never happen. Knowledge is relative.

Another point here is that, we often voice an opinion and that is not equal to providing the correct remedy, answer, or solution to a given subject or question. And I think that as intelligent readers we evaluate and sift through the information before acting on a single comment. That is how I do it. I am not afraid to be wrong and I will not be offended if proven to be wrong. This, in my opinion, is part of the learning process. So we often say : I THINK, IN MY OPINION, I COULD BE WRONG, IT SEEMS TO ME, IT APPEARS, ETC.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting