Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guysensei1

Leaves keep drooping. Why?

guysensei1
11 years ago

Why does the leaves of my bird eye pepper plant keep drooping even when watered? Also there are yellow patches and some brown patches on my plant...

Comments (17)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

How often are you watering? Over watering can cause yellowing and leaf drop. Also if its a few leaves here and there especially from the bottom that's normal. But if its dropping leaves every time you water then that's a problem.

Mark

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

I don't see anything off in the photo. A little leggy from low light, but that's not terrible. Are you expecting th leaves to stick out horiznotally all the time? Because leaves tend to grow to face the light source, which is the window in this case, not the sky (which is the ceiling and a bad source of light). Cheers!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Wow I read that wrong lol I thought dropping was typed and after reading sunnibel7 answer I reread, drooping. That's normal you should see them at night they will droop a lot and perk back up when light is available. Sunnibel7 nailed the answer no need to worry.

Mark

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Low light? Water retentive soil? Cold root-zone temps?

Josh

• guysensei1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, oddly enough absolutely no leaves have dropped at all. Even the seed leaves are still attached. Should I cut them?

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Mark, I was going to make mention that I saw you misread it, but was called away. Darn, there go my eyesight jokes.

Guysensei, your plants look more or less fine, why cut things off of them? You mention brown and yellow patches, maybe include a close up of those. Cheers!

• guysensei1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a pic. It looks worse than before.
    Almost like chlorosis.

Speaking of which, is it ok to leave chilli plants in direct 30 degree celcius sunlight?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Sunnibel7 LOL I do wear glasses not that it's an excuse ha!

Guysensei1 at 30 degrees any reason you are keeping it indoors? It could be overwatering causing the yellowing. Are the new leaves yellow also or just older leaves?

Mark

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Patchiness shows up better in this picture, and now I can spot it in the first pic, before my eyes didn't pick up that color variation. My guesses are all what have been mentioned already, too wet, too cool, change to low light... Some combination of those.

• guysensei1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

it is 30 degrees because i live in singapore and it is very hot. and the new leaves are starting to yellow as well.
    Not sure if it is related, but the flowers have no pollen at all. I have been using other plant pollen to pollinate.

• robeb
    11 years ago

How do you know that the flowers have no pollen?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Yes 30 degrees C is 86 degrees F hot indeed. That's why I ask why grow indoors? when you have perfect temps to grow outdoors? I usually help pollinate by hand and when touching the flower it's easy to tell if the flower has pollen or not, when there is no pollen wait a few days and check again.

Mark

• guysensei1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live in a high rise apartment so this is as 'outdoor' as possible for me.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Balcony is probably limited sunlight. How many hours of sun does the plant have? Also if possible get a bigger pot as what I can see it looks to be small. So I think it's doing quite well for the growing conditions. I hope all works out.

Mark

11 years ago

Well, now that we know that this isn't an overwintering pepper, let's talk about how
    you're growing it. How often do you fertilize, and with what?

Josh

• guysensei1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

no ferts at all cause it was part of an experiment.
    doesnt look like and deficiency i know of. but now should i fert it?

11 years ago

Well, looks similar to Nitrogen deficiency.

Plants need nutrients. So, yes, please do fertilize.
    Start light - 1/2 strength at first, then work up from there.

Josh

Sponsored