Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping hot peppers hot

Posted by Creek-side 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 8:22

I grow banana peppers which have been in the family for a very long time. We just reuse the seeds every year. They tend to vary a lot in heat. When I was younger my father always grew one patch of large sweet peppers, but we never planted them close together. I don't recall if he did anything select the hotter peppers for seeds.

In order to keep these peppers hot, is it as simple as using seeds from the hotter ones from year to year?

And could I do the opposite so that I can breed a sweet version of these? If so, would these have a greater tendency to "cool down" my hot ones than other sweet varieties would?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping hot peppers hot

Peppers self-pollinate rather easily. If you want to make sure you get a pure seed stock you can find a flower bud that's plump and very close to opening and "bag" it by covering/tieing up a piece of cheesecloth (or similar) loosely over the bud. Later in the day and/or the next day or two give the stem the bud is on a little shake to help it pollinate itself (not necessary, but helps). A day or two later you can remove the bag and let the pepper grow itself out. Collecting seed from these peppers give you an unmixed/unhybridized seed source direct from the parent. It's usually a good idea to bag multiple peppers, and to do it on multiple plants if possible.

Isolation (planting peppers far apart from each other) is a less labor intensive method. You can plant a "seed collecting plant" far away from your other peppers and severely lessen the chance of pollination from another plant.

About hot/sweet peppers mixing. Though some sweetness has shown up on some hybrid hot/sweets, the genes for heat are extremely dominate and rarely will a "tameness" occur when bred together.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 19:01

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here