Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilliwin

Request for your opinion and advice

chilliwin
11 years ago

This Umorok (u=tree+morok =chili) well known names ghost chili. It grows to the land of Umorok/ghost chili the North East India. I believe it is real umorok/ghost chili.

They grow it on garden soil. It was an accidental planting. The mass production of this chili is not in this area but the surrounding hill ranges. Most of the families do not eat seeds and membrane because it is very hot so they throw it away. Sometimes it grows naturally without anybody’s care. Only the families remember the seeds when they grew up and interested families a bit take care of it. These plants are one of them.

There are two families they grow it differently so the results are also different.
Both of them use garden soil on different containers. This plant grows in a gunny bay (empty cement bag) and they mixed some broken wall. The wall is made of mud from pond, paddy straw, bamboo, shing-ut (it is a long hollow stem plant with a long lemongrass like leaves it is about 2 meters tall), cow dung, sand and lime (they painted wall with white lime as a tradition; they called it "sunu" it is edible with beetle nut. When they poured water on it, it boils with heat). So you can imagine what it could be. I think it is very old mixed soil. I do not know what I have to call it. Is it fit to call peat moss, I do not think so. So this family mixed some pieces of old wall with garden soil. Accidentally the plants got better soil and good aeration so the fruits are big and nice. What a coincidence!

The other family also uses garden soil without mix, in empty oil tin containers. They got the fruits smaller; still they do not know the reason. I will try to upload other pictures as soon as I got it. I talked to my friend to buy one of the plants grow in the tin containers and change the soil. She told me it is possible to get it on free of cost but she has question of risk of re-potting.

My request for your advice and opinion are the health of this plant. (According to your computer monitors the color might be different). I think this plant is not healthy somehow. The leaves have yellowish and thin I see some holes also. How can I help this plant to get healthy green leaves? They have abundant sunlight and the temperature is 21C right now.

Caelian

Comments (20)

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Same plant from a different view.

• gardendrivenlife
    11 years ago

Yellowing w/green veins looks like it is lacking iron. Alot of rainfall washes the iron out. A home remedy (especially if it is potted) would be to add some rusty items to the container. Like rusty nails, etc. Good luck. JMO

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

I was also thinking too much water causing chlorosis (yellowing due to lack of iron). Is it sitting at the edge of a pond? It looks like pond weed in the background and an elephant-ear plant (which likes a lot of water). I'm wondering if the soil is kept wet too frequently?

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I would say some nutrient deficiency. I don't know exactly what, but, that's what it looks like to me.

sunnibel brings up a good point that it looks like the environment nearby is pretty wet. It doesn't look like overwatering to me, though. But, I wonder if it's a clue to what may be happening (nutrients washed out, ph out of whack, etc..).

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

Iron chlorosis, nitrogen deficiency caused by heavy fruit load relative to leaf area. There is a similar condition that is caused by a virus infection called Pepper Mild Mottle Virus, but it usually causes crinkled leaves as well as chlorosis.

The plant would benefit from being in a larger container and would need some good soil to grow in. You don't show a picture of the container the plant is growing in, but from the size of the plant, I suspect is it only a gallon can. The new container should be at least 5 gallons capacity.

DarJones

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all these questions and opinions.

This plant is potted in about 7 gallon gunny bag (empty cement bag).

The location of the plant is at the edge of the pond. The other plants behind the chili plant are edible vegetable plants called "pallukabi" I do not know in English probably it is coco yam specie. It grows both in dry soil and shallow water but it is not a water plant. However it is recommended growing in shallow water because the stem/root grows very tall about 2-3 feet. It is very good for hot salad.

The recent months they had a lot of rain so there is possibility of frequent wet of the roots.

Nutrient deficiency due to the washed out would be one of the possible causes of this plant's health, I agreed.

There are so many reasonable questions about this plant such as diseases, lack of nutrients and overwatering etc. I will upload the full picture of this plant when I got it. The family does not know very well about modern container gardening and how to take care of it.

Here people do gardening with passion and fashion but over there gardening is a poor man's job. This chili specie is very popular here but not that popular on plantation to its origin homeland. I saw a lot of plantation pictures of it from all over the world but not from its homeland. People consider gardening is not a respectable job, I feel pity for them.

Regards,
    Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This picture is the same picture grows in a gunny bag. I got further information; they did not mixed the soil with the broken wall properly only they did some kinds of mulching.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The another plant.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The different family who grows in the tin containers, I mentioned in my first post.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Question the bags that you use are they plastic or more on the paper side? Also if either I would be worried that it would hold a lot of moisture. Are there any drain holes? Looks like straw mixed in with the soil not sure the idea behind that.

Mark

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

They would be more like burlap, though a finer cloth. Plenty of drainage. The cans I would question, but if they had no drainage they would have no peppers.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Mark and DMForcier,

Thank you for the posts.

It is an empty cement bag; I think it is made of plastic. I am not sure, sorry.
    I do not think it has drainage holes and the soil might be too much moisture as you mentioned. Usually the cement bags are waterproof. I thought it was a gunny bag, I was wrong. The straw on the bag is some pieces of broken old wall (I mentioned the components of the wall before) and the rain washed the soil and only the straw are remained there I think.

The cans do not have drainage holes.

My friend bought one of the plants last week. She told me the condition of the plant is not so good. The soil is now very hard clay. The plant has problem of powdery mildew, and some of the leaves are also yellowish. However the stem is very big and has sign of many new shoots. We have been planning to prune and change the soil. Insecticide and pesticide are not easily available there. So I told her to remove the leaves with powdery mildew and spray with water, vinegar and dish washer liquid mixed. Any advice of home remedy will be appreciated. They have neem tree and peppermint plant.

Regards,

Caelian

This post was edited by chilliwin on Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 10:07

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

I agree with everyone. It is a Nitrogen deficiency. You can use a fertilizer like Miracle Gro All Purpose at half strength to clear that issue right up.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

I think the soil is too damp. Here is what I recommend, get some holes in the bag to allow for drainage, add some nitrogen once the soil dries up some. The plant in the tin needs to be taken out wash the roots and repot into new soil. If you plan on using the tin poke some holes in the bottom to allow for drainage. You can try cinnamon powder it does not harm the plant and works for damping off fungus, may work for the mildew until you can get it repotted. Good luck and hope they pull through.

Mark

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello TheMasterGardener1 and Mark, thank you for the advice. One of the plants on the tin container has been re-potted with new container with drainage hole and new soil. Some of the branches were also pruned. The soil she used is a mixed of peat moss (home made), paddy husk, pine bark and small rocks. She boiled some Neem tree leaves and sprayed the plant. I told her about chinnmon powder too. Miracle Grow is not available but she manages to get some fertilizer like that one/such as NPK 3-1-4 too.

Container gardening is not yet introduced there. All the essential materials for container soil mix are available in raw form and not commercialize. For example, pine-bark are available at sawmills, it is free, (I told her not to use much if they are not compost half or fully). They have LECA type materials at the brick factory (over burned brick, full size and small pieces, it is light and porous, and almost free). They have coconut fiber fresh and dry one; they have cow dung, chicken manure too. Insecticide, pesticide, fungicide and chemical fertilizer are not easily available.

Thank you for helping us.

Caelian

This post was edited by chilliwin on Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 14:52

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

If premixed fertilizers are not easily available, my grandmother had a trick for getting iron into the soil for some of her flowers.

Old rusty iron nails, the kind you nail pieces of wood together with.

She would leave them in a pan of rain water until they rusted, then would toss them around on top of the dirt at the base of her flowers. When it rained, it would wash the rust into the ground, adding iron to it.

If you have galvanized nails that don't rust easily, you can soak them in bleach for a few hours, and that will dissolve the outer layer and expose the raw iron underneath.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you again Edymnion for the advice. The repotted plant is not yet any sign of stress. I will tell her to put some rusty materials on the soil, it won't be a problem for her.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is an updates from my friend.

Finally she has been doing something very good. This is her first time chili cultivation, she took our advice and opinions.

Rooftop gardening in cement bags:

{{gwi:1242724}}

Ghost Orange: Seeds from www.pepperlover.com
    {{gwi:1242726}}
    {{gwi:1242728}}
    {{gwi:1242730}}
    {{gwi:1242732}}
    Habanero Tree:
    {{gwi:1242734}}
    {{gwi:1242736}}

Aji Amarillo:
    {{gwi:1242738}}

Lemon Drops:
    {{gwi:1242739}}
    {{gwi:1242741}}
    {{gwi:1242743}}

Scorpion Moruga Blend Yellow: Seeds from www.pepperlover.com

{{gwi:1242744}}
    {{gwi:1242745}}
    {{gwi:1242746}}

Goronong:

{{gwi:1242747}}

Rocoto De Seda:

{{gwi:1242748}}

Unknown (most prolific): Seeds from www.pepperlover.com

{{gwi:1242749}}
    {{gwi:1242750}}

Soil type:

Loamy soil, paddy husk and small pieces of bricks

Fertilizer:

Slow release fertilizer called "diamond" no regular fertilization.

24°N Latitude, 94°E Longitude and it is 2,619 feet (798 m) above mean sea level.

She has grown all these super hot successfully.

Thank you all for helping us.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She will be the first person who has grown Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend Yellow, Rocoto De Seda, Aji Amarillo, Lemon Drops, Gornong and Habanero Tree there.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just I read all the posts again, and I found that I missed to answer some questions, really I am sorry. I was so exciting to see all of your advice and opinions :( . I am really happy to find my mistake today.

Caelian