Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuvaszlvr

carolina reaper

kuvaszlvr
10 years ago

Anyone have a time line to expect germination of reapers in a paper towel? My bhuts and habs were up in 3-6 days, it's been 10 days and 1 reaper so far. This is the first time I've germinated reaper in paper towels (well, coffee filters actually) and am wondering if my seeds are bad.
Pam

Comments (23)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I grew them last year but in soil. THey were no longer than other supper hots. 6-8 days.
    Bruce

• vermiman
    10 years ago

Last year I planted 4 and only one germinated.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Pam, same as any other superhot. You're nuts, use your plug trays... you plant too many to mess with towels

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. funny thing, the seeds still look good, no rotting, so maybe there is still a chance. Yeah John, I'm going to try my plug trays. I'm still trying to figure out which technique I like best for large quantities. I like the towels mostly cos I tend to be a bit anal and I like seeing which ones are viable and which ones are not, and which are just rotting. But it can be a pain when it comes to potting up.
    Pam

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I think older seeds lose their viability. Or germination rate can be low.
    I am test germinating some pepper seeds(not super hots) They mostly germinate in 5 -7 days. I do it in paper towel, in zip bag, on top of lampshade (with 20 wat fluorescent ). I cover the opening with a dish towel then place the bag on it. It can get up to 95F. So sometimes I double layer the towel to keep the temp under 90F. I have done couple of tests and right now doing Habanero. Works perfectly. This is good for small scale germinating.

• Slade122
    10 years ago

Some of the Super-Hot peppers can take a little longer to germinate, especially without supplemental heating. 14 Days is generally the longest it should take for a pepper though, unless conditions are really out of line. I've also read that some individuals have had to wait up to 3 weeks for super-hot peppers to germinate.

I also find that Super-Hots prefer a little bit warmer germination temp that other kinds of peppers, especially sweets.

I'm about to grow the reaper as well, So I will post back with my germination time and procedure for them.

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seysonn, I think it takes awhile for them to lose substantial viability, I have seeds from the 90's that still germinate. ;-) I think I just got bad seeds, although I seem to remember last year having issues with the reapers, different sources. I've been keeping them in the oven with the light on, they've been sitting at 79-80 degrees. Sometimes I really hate seed starting, bhuts and habs have all germinated.
    Pam

• sjetski
    10 years ago

My Numex Bhuts take forever to germinate at 79-80F. And they take about 5-7 days to sprout at 85f, give or take.

Any chance you can find a warmer spot for them? I probe around the house with a thermometer till i find warm spots. A furnace room, or even high above the furnace near the ceiling, may be a possibility. The temp wouldn't even have to be steady, if it cycles between 78~90f then the spot would still work well imho.

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 21:56

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did have them on top of the freezer, only problem with that was it would get very hot and the next time I checked it was very cold.

I actually burned up my Giant white hab seeds. When I pot them up, I will put the remaining seeds back in the baggie and then put them under my heat mat until I am done. Well, this time I guess the Giant white hab seeds got pushed too far back and I missed them. A few days later they were nice and brown. oh well.

I'm going to check the reapers again tomorrow and if none have sprouted I'm going to start over. The fact that one sprouted about 2 wks ago makes me think the rest aren't viable.
    Pam

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

I have had a few seeds take 2 weeks in a towel (in a bag to preserve dampness) at 85F. If the seeds don't look dead I might wait a little longer, but not much. If at a lower temp like Dennis

Or maybe they only germinate reliably in Carolina.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Well, since they are "Reapers" they are probably dead to begin with.
    Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not funny Bruce! ;-P~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Pam

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

IS TOO!!!

Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

IS NOT!!!! :-P~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pam

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

I sowed 2 seeds on 10.12.13, I found one of them is germinated today. 5 days not bad :-)

Caelian

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Yeah but you live in Plant Heaven.

Seriously, I wish I could get anything to look as nice as your plants. There must be some dwarfish magic in your rocks.

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am so jealous. I planted a bunch of seeds Dec. 7, so far only one has come up. But then again, a few days ago I checked and my thermostat said 65.... WHAT!! I started checking, the plug the mats are plugged into had pulled free. :-( they are back up to 82 now.
    Pam

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

:-) CR

Caelian

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now you are just being mean. ;-)
    Pam

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

:-) I soaked the seeds in camelia tea before I sowed. The seedling soil is coco coir and the pots are egg shell size, I covered the seedling soil with a thin layer of cat litter. I do not use heating propagator but I put on the windowsill, it is a bit warm because the room heater is under the windowsill. On the same day I sowed Bulgarian Carrot too but there is no sign of germination yet, these seeds have very think skin.

Keep waiting they could be germinated soon. Good luck :-)

Caelian

• clee22
    10 years ago

Anyone have extra seeds or selling pods of reapers?

• jtight
    10 years ago

Def. some interesting germinatuon techniques. I plant mine in pots, set em by the window (sometimes take em outside in sun), a/ wait for them to pop-up.

I'll have to experiment w/ some of these techniques.

Tks

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

jtight: You really don't need to put your starter pots in the sun until the seedlings have popped. They could be kept in a dark closet up to the point that they started to sprout. They cannot use the sunlight until the leaves are exposed. The only benefit of having them in the sun before they sprout is possibly the fact that they might get a bit more warmth which could be beneficial in the germination process.
    Bruce

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia