Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcolahot

Pot size for pepper plant?

pcolahot
16 years ago

Hey everyone new here. I going to try growing peppers for the first time. And was wondering what size pot to transfer them into after they become a young plant.

Thanks John

Comments (8)

• fiedlermeister
    16 years ago

You will get lots of opinions on this. I move from trays to 4">6">12".

• thepodpiper
    16 years ago

What he said.

Dale

• renais
    16 years ago

I have had very good luck using 2 gallon pots for plants that I keep in the greenhouse for a few years. I do water them every day. I find that, as long as I give them enough fertilizer, I have excellent production. The smaller pots also make it easier for me to move the plants, and allow for more plants in a given area. I have experimented with larger (5 gallon) pots as well. I found that for most varieties, the larger size did not improve the growth of the plant enough to warrent the extra space that it consumed.
    Renais

• naturalstuff
    16 years ago

While some plants can do well in 10" pots..I suggest all pots to be 12" - 16". 8" definetly way to tight/small.

20" way to big. Make sure if you get a 12" pot that the bottom is also 12" meaning is doesn't get narrow at the bottom.

You'll be happy with yeilds at 12". Trust me.

Give the roots room and they'll treat you good.

• cmpman1974
    16 years ago

I grew a few varieties of C. Chinense in 20" or 24" planters last year that thrived. Some of the Trinidad varieties do best in my opinion in huge containers. I live in Zone 6B. If I was in zones 8-11, there is no way I could not use large ones to sustain the plant. I'm sure I would have been fine using 12-14" pots, but the plants wouldn't have yielded nearly as much. Most varieties are fine in small pots.

Chris

Naturalstuff states

"While some plants can do well in 10" pots..I suggest all pots to be 12" - 16". 8" definetly way to tight/small.
    20" way to big. Make sure if you get a 12" pot that the bottom is also 12" meaning is doesn't get narrow at the bottom."

You'll be happy with yeilds at 12". Trust me.

Give the roots room and they'll treat you good.

• byron
    16 years ago

Depends on the variety Habs like more room than C.Annum

• kj_57701
    16 years ago

I've got a lot of 12 inch pots and a hand-full of 14 inch pots. I buy a truck-load of soil from a local Nursery every year. Literally! That's a little more than a full big-cat scoop which they dump in my pickup truck. I am going to expand my 14 inch pot section this year. It's just easier to regulate watering in the bigger pots. It seems that a few pepper plants in the 12 inch pots could use the extra room. I think I'll end up with about 50 pots this year. About 30, 12 inch pots and 20, 14 inch pots. Oh yea, this is going to be a fun year!

Sponsored