Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Test Germination, Now What?

Posted by seysonn 7b WA/HZ 1 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 11:58

I started some pepper seeds just to test their viability. The earliest was sown on Nov. 10. Now I see they are growing buds. Those are Japanese SHISHITO. I have no idea how big they are going to get. The earliest I can move them out (my cold frame) would be late March. So I am stuck. Maybe I will just let them grow like house plants.
I have couple of other hot peppers including a habanero too.

Here is a picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Test Germination, Now What?

Says here 18 Inches tall
http://www.highmowingseeds.com/Organic-Shishito-Pepper-Seeds.html

Here is a link that might be useful: height

o

Pot them into separate containers, then prune them to keep them short and manageable. They will bush out and make fine houseplants, especially if they're a smaller cultivar from the start. The leaves look a bit lime-green and delicate....are they receiving enough fertilizer for thick green growth? (Pale color could be due to camera lighting, as well).

Josh

o

Thanks Jean and Josh.

Yeah, I will re pot and prune to keep them short.

Yes, Josh. The leave are a bit pale, I know. I have not fertilized them much, just lightly. I will boost it gradually. I didn't want them to go crazy.

o

Update:

On Josh's suggestion, I was planning to top them to stay bushy. But as was re potting them yesterday, I noticed that at 5" they are branching out and already have buds. I fertilized them a bit more. Seems that they are getting darker green.
The way it is going I might be harvesting some before getting them outside. What do you know ! I got myself an indoor garden. haha

MERRY CHRISTMAS everybody !

UPDATE 12/30/04

Shishito is amazing. They are about 9" tall. Keep getting bushy by branching out and are loaded with buds and have few flowers too; A tabasco-like ornamental is the same way but a little behind. Habaneros are moving slowly. Which is ago . They have plenTy of time till plant out.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !

This post was edited by seysonn on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 21:35

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here