Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
productivity?

Posted by gfinnil 5 Illinois (finng@live.com) on
Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 12:48

I have access to a small garden that isn't used at my high school (other teacher gave up) and want pure productivity...so I'm planning on a habanero/scotch bonnet garden. 4 plants each of Orange Habs, MOA Scotch Bonnets, JA Habaneros and Yelllow Fatalii. Still trying to finalize my list for home, but Aji Pineapple, Brazilian Starfish, TS Yellow Cardi and some type of Thai will be there...along with SBJ7.
Jerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: productivity?

Was there a question in there somewhere? ;-)

Most of the more common varieties are very productive. Generally speaking, the larger the fruit, the fewer of them there are. Not sure how varieties would compare by weight.

o

What's a SBJ7 ?

o

DMForcier, I may be mistaken but I think it's a cross between a Scotch Bonnet and a 7pot Jonah.

o

I assumed that's what he was talking about too. I've got some of those in seedling form in my backyard right now.

if you're looking for crazy productivity plant tabasco.

o

I had HUGE success with Red Ghosts, Numex Suave Orange habs, Thai Hots, Petins, Tepins, and Corno Del Toros.
The 5 Numex plants were 5-7' tall at frost and made several bushels. The 4 Ghosts made at least a bushel and got 6' tall. Got a few bushels out of the Corno's, and several quarts from the Thai's. The Pequins and Tepins being so small each made a couple of gallon zip lock bags full.
I would think with an acre you could grow lots of Numex Suaves, which would sell well as they have an intense hab flavor without the heat. I use the Ghosts to kick up the heat when making salsa from the Numex habs.
This spring, Lemon Drops, some yellow tomatoes, and Numex's for a true yellow salsa.
I need to train a couple of monkeys to pick the Tepins and Pequins as it's really hard on the old back...

o

Since super hots are usually used for sauce and powder, ripening is important. So a pepper might be productive all right, but might not ripen in cooler and short season climates.

But on the other hand semi hot and mild pepper are used and can be used at any stage during the season. One example : Hungarian Hot Wax.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here