Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chichen itza hab (hybrid) - answer to the late habanero problem?

Posted by peps22 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 13:29

Growing habs in the northeast is frustrating... The fruit are almost never ready till september. I purchased the hybrid that promises fruit a month earlier... Anyone try it before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chichen itza hab (hybrid) - answer to the late habanero probl

I've never grown the chichen itza hab.

You may not have the space, lights, etc. but rather that going the hybrid route, have you thought about starting regular habs earlier for an earlier harvest?

o

I put them outside as soon as practical (mid-may). The seedlings are already two months old at that point. Every year, I do not get viable hab fruit until September.

o

I think a lot of peppers are day length sensitive. In my experience they fruit more late in the summer , when day length are about 13 hours. Normally, you would think that they should fruit in the warmers days of summer better, but why suddenly they get to work in September?.
This past season my Cubannele and Chilaca had couple of fruits all summer. Come September, they burst into flowers and pods, when night lows were in 40s.
I am sure there are exceptions. I hav an ornamental that kept fruiting all summer till frost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here